Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21104
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work." Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 03:45 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."

Aventura, US

I am trying to use multiple exposure with bracketing and interval timer to do HDR.
1. I am in in Aperture Priority.
2. In Shooting menu I Set Multiple Exposure on for 3 shots
3. In Setup menu e5 Bracketing/flash set to AE
4. I press the bkt button on the left side of the camera and hold
the exposure compensation button down & try to set set the bracketing to 3F 2.0 using the front & rear dials. I am able to do this.
5. Then when I look at the multiple exposure setting it is reset to OFF.
6. If I set it to on I can't get the bracketing in the lcd display to say 3F 2.0 -- It just says +2.0

If I press the shutter release I get only one overexposed image and multiple exposure is set to off.

Does multiple exposure get reset each time you take a shot?

There seems to be a conflict between the way I am setting up the bracketing and the multiple exposure setting. Getting very confused.

Please advise. Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work.
kentak Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
briantilley Moderator
23rd Sep 2012
kentak Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
23rd Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
23rd Sep 2012
kentak Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
23rd Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
23rd Sep 2012
benmlee
23rd Sep 2012
kentak Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
24th Sep 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
dbuckenmyer Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
Alexcorral
27th Dec 2012

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 23-Sep-12 04:05 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 23-Sep-12 04:43 PM by kentak

US

Why do you want to take multiple exposures?

Edited to add: I read your other post about this issue and think I understand what you're trying to do--but it won't work.

Combining the bracketing and ME functions is beyond the D7000's capability. The ME function already includes an exposure modification to allow for the combined exposures. But that won't give HDR.

To do an HDR image with this camera, you need to take your series of bracketed shots, however many you need, and combine them into an HDR image with suitable software on the computer.

Kent

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 23-Sep-12 04:44 PM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The Multiple Exposure facility is for making more than one exposure in the same recorded image.

It's not used for taking bracketed exposures.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 23-Sep-12 04:49 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 23-Sep-12 04:50 PM by kentak

US

Brian, I think he knows what ME is. But, he seems to be under the impression that he can combine the ME and bracketing functions to make an in-camera HDR image. As he found out, the camera won't let him combine those functions.

Kent

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sun 23-Sep-12 04:49 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

ME is for overlaying multiple images into one shot.

Bracketing varies exposure over 3 shots and you need to combine these in post-processing with an algorithm more complicated than what ME does.

If you just want your camera to fire off the bracket, turn on bracketing and set release mode to continuous (Cl or Ch) and then hold down the shutter release (preferably remote release so you don't shake the camera). The camera will fire the 3 shots, and you'll get 3 images which you'll need to combine in post-processing with an HDR program.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 23-Sep-12 04:51 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

>I am trying to use multiple exposure with bracketing and
>interval timer to do HDR.
>1. I am in in Aperture Priority.
>2. In Shooting menu I Set Multiple Exposure on for 3 shots
>3. In Setup menu e5 Bracketing/flash set to AE
>4. I press the bkt button on the left side of the camera and
>hold
>the exposure compensation button down & try to set set the
>bracketing to 3F 2.0 using the front & rear dials. I am
>able to do this.
>5. Then when I look at the multiple exposure setting it is
>reset to OFF.
>6. If I set it to on I can't get the bracketing in the lcd
>display to say 3F 2.0 -- It just says +2.0
>
>If I press the shutter release I get only one overexposed
>image and multiple exposure is set to off.
>
>Does multiple exposure get reset each time you take a shot?
>
>There seems to be a conflict between the way I am setting up
>the bracketing and the multiple exposure setting. Getting very
>confused.
>
>Please advise. Thank you.

Steven. What you are getting is correct but you can't do HDR this way.

Yes. Multiple exposure gets reset to OFF after you take the photo.

Your over exposed photo is what you get when doing multiple exposure using the same scene. You end up with a photo that overlays the frames so everything is brighter.

I don't have a D7000 but I used my D700 instead and the procedure is the same for both cameras.

Here is an example of using 3 bracketed exposures, +/- 1 EV. using the multiple exposure mode. Note blown highlights. This photo is lighter than my +1 bracketed shot.

Here are the same 3 bracketed photos using HDR Pro in CS5. The highlights are slightly darker than the original and the dark trees are brighter.

I hope this helps.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 23-Sep-12 05:02 PM
#6. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 5

US

"Here is an example of using 3 bracketed exposures, +/- 1 EV. using the multiple exposure mode."

Len, are you telling him the D7000 can do ME while in bracketing mode?

Kent

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 23-Sep-12 05:11 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 23-Sep-12 05:31 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

I think it can but I'm not sure as I don't have a D7000. I only have my D700 in where bracketing is the same and multiple exposure is the same. Since he ends up with an over exposed photo I believe M E is adding his bracketed shots.

edit: You set your bracket shots to a certain number. When you set up ME you then set up the number of shots the same as the bracketed number. After that number ME should turn OFF. I'll do some more experimenting but it'll have to wait until my baseball game and the FedEx Cup championship is over.

Here is what my exposure sequence looked like. It's 0, -1, +1 and them ME combined.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 23-Sep-12 07:11 PM
#8. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

>"Here is an example of using 3 bracketed exposures, +/-
>1 EV. using the multiple exposure mode."
>
>Len, are you telling him the D7000 can do ME while in
>bracketing mode?

Kent,

I just tried bracketing and ME with my D5100. As soon as you set ME, bracketing is grayed out and not allowed. While it is allowed on my D700 someone with a D7000 will have to verify if the two modes can coexist. I can't.

Len

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 09:02 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 8

US

You can do what you are after by doing only bracketing, then use image overlay to combine pictures together. However, you will end up with blown highlight.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 23-Sep-12 11:02 PM
#10. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 24-Sep-12 12:46 AM by kentak

US

>Kent,
>
>I just tried bracketing and ME with my D5100. As soon as you
>set ME, bracketing is grayed out and not allowed. While it is
>allowed on my D700 someone with a D7000 will have to verify if
>the two modes can coexist. I can't.
>
>Len

Len,

I do have a D7000 and I have not been able to get them to work together. It's one or the other.

More to the OP's point, even if you could get bracketed exposure combined into one ME, it wouldn't be a HDR image. Since the D7000 does not have the in-camera HDR feature, I'm still sticking with my original reply to him that he needs to take a series of separate bracketed exposure and combine them with HDR software in post.

As a separate issue, your example images intrigue and confuse me. You show four exposure which are labeled as "nef" files. Do I understand that your camera combines three nef files into a new composite nef file? Am I reading that right?

I played around a little with ME on my D7000. I see where it outputs a jpeg and nef of the ME, but no sign of the comprising exposures. Interesting.

Kent

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 24-Sep-12 12:37 PM
#12. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 24-Sep-12 01:28 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Len,
>
>I do have a D7000 and I have not been able to get them to work
>together. It's one or the other.

That's the way the D5100 operates. It's surprising to me now that the D700 allows it. It's something I never considered prior to this thread.

>
>More to the OP's point, even if you could get bracketed
>exposure combined into one ME, it wouldn't be a HDR image.
>Since the D7000 does not have the in-camera HDR feature, I'm
>still sticking with my original reply to him that he needs to
>take a series of separate bracketed exposure and combine them
>with HDR software in post.

That was my response as well. I've taken multiple exposures before using my D3X and I know what it does to certain light areas. It isn't even close to a HDR image.

>
>As a separate issue, your example images intrigue and confuse
>me. You show four exposure which are labeled as
>"nef" files. Do I understand that your camera
>combines three nef files into a new composite nef file? Am I
>reading that right?

edit: I can't seem to duplicate my earlier sequence. Now I can't implement bracketing with ME ON. ME still works but now it deletes the original files so only the ME file remains, either a jpg or a nef depending on what the original files were. Now I don't know what kind of setup I had before.

>
>I played around a little with ME on my D7000. I see where it
>outputs a jpeg and nef of the ME, but no sign of the
>comprising exposures. Interesting.

edit: Now I get the same thing on the D700.

This has been an interesting thread. I normally like to try to duplicate a problem or try something I've never tried before when it comes up in a new thread. However in this case I don't have a D7000. Since I wanted the articulating screen and it had the same sensor as the D7000 I bought the D5100 instead. However I have used ME and HDR with my other cameras.

Len

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 24-Sep-12 12:37 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

Thanks everyone for responding. Based on the responses it does not seem possible to combine the bracketing and hdr, and even if it were it would not give good hdr results. So I will be looking for a software program to do the combining of shots. Is EFEX Pro good the best way to go?

dbuckenmyer Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2009Tue 16-Oct-12 12:19 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 11

Jackson, US

dbuckenmyer

Photomatix

Alexcorral Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Thu 27-Dec-12 12:43 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Can't Get Multile Exposure with bracketing to work."
In response to Reply # 11

PA

You can download Luminance HDR for free.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21104 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.