Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21021
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Tue 18-Sep-12 04:49 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000"

US

I currently have a D60 and am considering a move up. Is the D7000 a small step up or a fairly large step, and what are the benefits of this move? Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000
km6xz Moderator
18th Sep 2012
BeeKay60 Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
IanCT
18th Sep 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
IanCT
19th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
19th Sep 2012
IanCT
19th Sep 2012
Ray P
19th Sep 2012
Ray P
19th Sep 2012
torwood Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
Matthew Gregory Silver Member
21st Sep 2012

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 18-Sep-12 06:57 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Welcome to the D7000 forum.
The D7000 is a significant step up in most image relate characteristics.
The sensor is still one of the best in the DX format, with very low read noise that makes it the best low ISO DX camera for such subjects as landscapes, studio strobe work, astro and other noise limited applications.
It is also much better in low light than the D60. You can shoot sports in less light without motion blur because the shutter speed can be increased for action.
The resolution is a lot higher so printing large high quality prints is possible. The Auto-Focus is much more sophisticated, faster and with many more focus points.
Most of the features are fully controllable with either a button access or a quick access through the menu which is displayed on a large 3inch 910,000 pixel rear display. Viewing the rear display, with its bright high resolution LCD will allow you to analyze a shot much better.
The price of a D7000 is coming down so there are some good deals and rebates.
One thing to note however is that the added flexibility means it is a lot more complicated since every feature can be adjusted. It might take a little time getting used to the increased options but spending a bit of time learning will give allow very good results.
I really enjoy mine and still marvel over the image quality is it capable of with decent lenses. I have a newer higher end camera, the D800, that gets used most but the D7000 is not far behind it in performance.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Wed 19-Sep-12 07:40 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Roseville, US

I took the leap from the D60 about two months ago. It was a great decision. I absolutely love this camera.

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Tue 18-Sep-12 08:29 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

Definitely a big step up. I went from a D80, to a D300s when I started getting serious and doing portrait work a couple years back - I finally got the D7000 as a secondary camera as well as the 70-200mm VR II for my D300s.

It's a nice camera - a tad smaller in comparison then the D300s but I plan on getting the battery grip for it.

It's definitely a performer. I can't wait to try it out in low light this evening.

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Wed 19-Sep-12 12:37 AM
413 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Vallejo, US

I upgraded from a D90. The colors are better,the resolution improved and the dynamic range is better.I thought the differences were impressive enough after borrowing a friends D7000 for a day that I bought one for myself.But what was a big deal to me may not be to you.

The controls are easier to use. I especially like the ability to have two preset settings (U1,U2)and the ability to quickly set the camera to 3 or 6 frames a second.Finally you get a better picture with less grain at higher ISO.

I think it is the best DX body available especially if you have good lens.

Bob

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Wed 19-Sep-12 12:40 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

SF Bay, US

Just got home and took a few snapshots - I'm impressed with this "little" thing.

Handheld, 1/800s, f/2.8, 200mm

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 19-Sep-12 06:04 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Ian, nice image, lovely.
Where in the Bay Area? I have a house in southern Marin, lived there for decades before moving here 9 years ago.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Wed 19-Sep-12 06:25 AM
#7. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

SF Bay, US

>Hi Ian, nice image, lovely.
>Where in the Bay Area? I have a house in southern Marin, lived
>there for decades before moving here 9 years ago.
>Stan

Thanks Stan, she's my youngest of three girls, and my go-to girl for new equipment trials. LoL
I'm originally from San Diego, I live in Vallejo, work in San Rafael.

Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Wed 19-Sep-12 12:43 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: D7000"

US

Thanks so much for all your help. I really thought that I had made a good choice. You're also right about the rebates, at least a 200 savings at this time. My local store is currently out right now, but have my name and expect one in shortly. Thanks so much!!!

Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Wed 19-Sep-12 12:43 AM
#5. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks so much for all your help. I really thought that I had made a good choice. You're also right about the rebates, at least a 200 savings at this time. My local store is currently out right now, but have my name and expect one in shortly. Thanks so much!!!

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Wed 19-Sep-12 08:11 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Jefferson Hills, US

The D7000 is two orders of magnitude better than the D60. As of September, 2012, the D7000 has the best DX (cropped FOV) sensor in any production camera. You will be able to do many things, and nearly all things, better with the D7000.

That said, be prepared for a steep learning curve in technique, depending on what you shoot. The D7000 has so much more resolution that it can expose focus errors far better than the D60. When I upgraded from the D90 (itself a significant upgrade from the D60), it took me several shoots and some serious testing to reform my technique to the camera. Also, the D7000 exposed the slow-focusing of some of my older lenses when shooting action. I had to upgrade a couple lenses as a result.

But,...I still recommend you take the plunge. It's a great camera, and your D60 is probably old enough that it doesn't owe you anything.

Matthew Gregory Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011Fri 21-Sep-12 12:42 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Glenwood, US

The flexibility that the D7000 introduced me to was initially daunting, and required considerably better technique to shoot with properly, but was WELL worth it.

It's well worth considering Darell Young's book "Mastering the Nikon D7000". Helped me a ton when I moved to the D7000 from the D60. Thom Hogan's books is said to be great as well.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21021 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.