Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20991
View in linear mode

Subject: "Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor" Previous topic | Next topic
le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Mon 17-Sep-12 04:59 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

Hi all I kept the original cover-plate over the monitor from the time I bought the camera about ten months ago. There is some dust and crud between the cover-plate and the monitor, and I would like to tidy it up.

How do I remove this plate and then put it back?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the mon...
Joseph Bautsch
17th Sep 2012
benmlee
17th Sep 2012
Patrick604
18th Sep 2012
scottkathe
18th Sep 2012
le gamin Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
avm247 Moderator
18th Sep 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
18th Sep 2012

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Mon 17-Sep-12 10:27 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

The plate just snaps on. You can use your finger nail just behind the top center of the plate and pry it up. Putting it back on you just press back in place until it snaps back on.

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Mon 17-Sep-12 11:49 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Like Joseph say, pull from the bottom. Put the top on, then push on bottom to snap back on, but I would not put it back. The plastic cover is fine for indoor, but if you shoot outdoor especially hiking and doing activities, don't use the plastic cover. It will ruin your LCD screen.
What happens is that dust and sand gets between the plastic cover and the LCD. Hard particles like sand gets embedded into the cover because plastic is soft. Each time you walk with the camera on the strap, the camera cover rub against you. Inside of the cover, the embedded sand is pressing against the LCD screen. You end up with pits on the LCD screen from sand being rubbed into the LCD screen hundreds of times. Not good. That is way worst than no cover at all.
GGCII screen protector is the way I would go next time.

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 01:40 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"
In response to Reply # 2

US

That is an excellent bit of advice!

scottkathe Registered since 04th Jan 2005Tue 18-Sep-12 03:10 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"
In response to Reply # 2

Colchester, US

>What happens is that dust and sand gets between the plastic
>cover and the LCD. Hard particles like sand gets embedded into
>the cover because plastic is soft. Each time you walk with the
>camera on the strap, the camera cover rub against you. Inside
>of the cover, the embedded sand is pressing against the LCD
>screen. You end up with pits on the LCD screen from sand being
>rubbed into the LCD screen hundreds of times. Not good. That
>is way worst than no cover at all.

This is exactly what happened with me with my D90! I didn't have a screen protector on my D40 and the LCD screen was spotless. I saw stuff on the D90 screen and didn't think anything of it for months thinking that I had stuff on the outside of the plastic. When I went to clean it much to my horror I discovered that it was between the plastic and the LCD which ended up pitted and scratched!

Scott Kathe
www.scottkathe.com

le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 03:53 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor -"
In response to Reply # 4

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

Thanks so much for the instructions about removing the cover. I am so happy that you mentioned the pitfall of keeping it on. Most of the time I am out either in the bush or the seaside (Vancouver Island) so there are lots of opportunities to pick of grit. Again, thank you.
David

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 18-Sep-12 04:09 AM
18375 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

At the recommendation of many members here at Nikonians, I picked up a GGS glass LCD cover. The optical glass seems better, to me at keeping grit out, it can get in there but being glass, it does not compress to "rub" the grit into the LCD screen. I picked up mine for my D700 on eBay rather inexpensively.

Mine kit had two pieces, one for the LCD the other for the top LCD. The top LCD cover has adhesive tape to secure it to the top panel. I used a Nerf gun suction dart (you can get by with a small suction cup) with a little water on the tip properly align the GGS cover on the LCD. Looks great. The LCD screen secures to the back of the camera the same way the Nikon plastic screen does, but is definitely more scratch resistant and easier to see in daylight. I recommend it.

Search GGS and you can find other happy users. (Note they are camera specific so be sure to get one for your specific camera if you decide to purchase one.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 18-Sep-12 12:02 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Removing the plastic cover-plate protecting the monitor"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

+1 for Anthony and the GGS glass. I picked mine up on Amazon for a few dollars. The GGS glass also provides an improved view of the monitor and resists scratches since it's glass not plastic.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20991 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.