Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20885
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr_Vic Registered since 24th Aug 2007Mon 10-Sep-12 03:33 AM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"

Roy, US

Looking for input from those who went from D300 to D7000, I have come across a descent price on a used body. My current D300 is mainly used as a 3rd backup camera body or when I see the need to use my DX Lenses in my inventory...

Was the move worth it, and or did you notice a major diffrent...

Mr. Vic

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?
dm1dave Administrator
10th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
10th Sep 2012
Mr_Vic
10th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
11th Sep 2012
Mr_Vic
11th Sep 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
13th Sep 2012
Mr_Vic
13th Sep 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Sep 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 10-Sep-12 03:24 PM
11071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Looking at your gear list I would probably consider selling the D300 and all of the DX lenses and get used D700 as your backup. Then look for a couple FX lenses to fill any holes created by selling the DX stuff.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 10-Sep-12 10:02 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Both have advantages so which ones do you need for your subjects?
The D300 does better tracking sports and animals/birds, and has a higher burst speed.
For me, all my needs are centered around the benefits of the D7000 instead of D300. The d7000 is a remarkably competent landscape, portrait, and studio camera with very low 100 ISO noise and higher resolution for those who need that more then frame rate or faster AF locking and tracking. The AF is quite good(MultiCam 4800DX) in the D7000 but most people report that the D300(MultiCAM3500DX) is better for fast movement.
So, what do you shoot and do you need the DX 300mm range? It would be expensive getting that field of view on FX.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Mr_Vic Registered since 24th Aug 2007Mon 10-Sep-12 10:12 PM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Roy, US

70% of my shoots are action sports, I hear what you are saying and I think I am better off staying with my D300 body. I thought about the D7000 for a minute as I came across this killer deal...

I do have the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and 150-500mm OS version which I pull out when I want the extra distance..

Mr. Vic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 11-Sep-12 09:32 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

If you are shooting outdoor sports, the D300 is the one. If indoors or non-pro field sports at night, the D7000's better high ISO performance would be of interest. The higher resolution helps with crop options as a plus but the D300's lower resolution allows slower shutter speeds for sharp images....lots of variables both for and against switching. You like the D300, it is good with your long lenses and has better AF so you have made a choice that will work well for you.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Mr_Vic Registered since 24th Aug 2007Tue 11-Sep-12 11:45 PM
#5. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Roy, US

Thanks for your inputs and I agree...Today a co-worker brought his in and let me play with it this morning, I did not like it, compared to my D300, it did not "feel" right on my hands, too light and did not feel robust like my D300.... Plus I saw a lot of changes on the body that would take me too long to adjust..

I am so glad I got a chance to look at it and play with it before I commited to buy it used.... The price was good but it would have a big mistake....

Mr. Vic

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 13-Sep-12 06:13 PM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

For the past 18 months I've shot with a D300s & D7000. My typical usage was landscape and birds.

In landscape shooting, I'd typically work with 2 bodies a once, and ultra-wide or normal lens on the D7000 and telephoto on D300s. I'd consider these cameras close enough that I'd shoot whichever had the right lens, without regard to image quality. That said, reviewing 100% zoom on my computer, it's pretty clear at the pixel level which camera each image came from. D7000 was a good bit better, and we're talking images taken with Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 on the D7K vs. Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII on the D300s. Therefore, in cases where I grab one camera for landscape shooting, it's the D7000.

OTOH I tried to love the D7000 for birds but the D300s wins hands-down, due to AF performance and burst rate. Therefore D300s remains my birding camera.

In terms of general build/control layout I'd prefer the D300.

All that has changed since I got my D800 and I'm still sorting out how I work best with that addition, but on the question of D7K vs. D300 each camera has a pretty clear set of strengths and weaknesses.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Mr_Vic Registered since 24th Aug 2007Thu 13-Sep-12 07:08 PM
#7. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Roy, US

Thanks for your detailed input, I agree that both cameras have it's strength and weaknesses, since the D300 is my backup body to me backup, I will stay with that, and now with the D800 out and the announcement if the new D600, that just complicates matters for me. In reality I need to commit to my FX format and DX behind!!! I still have my D200 collecting dust, and just recently sold my D70.

Mr. Vic

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Sat 15-Sep-12 01:06 PM
605 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Anyone upgraded from D300 to D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 15-Sep-12 01:08 PM by NDGraham

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I didn't go "from" my D300 "to" my D7k. I use them both for different reasons. I have taken courses in the use of both cameras and had to learn how to use AutoFocus Fine Tune on the D7k for different lenses to get the degree of sharpness I want. This also helped me use my D300 more efficiently as well.
This summer we had a family reunion in PEI for my 88yo mother-in-law bringing in relatives from as far away as Florida and British Columbia. I used my D300 and 17-55mm f/2.8 for the family portraits and it gave me just great shots. I used my D7k for photos and some videos of the great-grand-children playing soccer and swimming and the landscape shots. The videos came out okay if I used either a tripod on the 17-55mm f/2.8 or the VR on the 70-200 f/2.8 but the stills were very good from the D7k.
I guess we all have our favorite uses for these two terrific cameras and great Nikon glass.

Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20885 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.