Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20883
View in linear mode

Subject: "User settings on the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Mon 10-Sep-12 02:26 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"User settings on the D7000"

Whitesboro, US

I have had my D7000 for a few months now and really like it, I have always found Nikon controls easy to use. On the mode dial there are 2 user modes, I have been tring to figure out what settings I would like to use . Can anyone share with me how you use your user modes, thank you. Joe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.keeponshooting.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: User settings on the D7000
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
10th Sep 2012
jadiniz
11th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
11th Sep 2012
kw_starling Silver Member
15th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
15th Sep 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
15th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
16th Sep 2012
clayolmstead Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
14th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
14th Jan 2013

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 10-Sep-12 02:48 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Starting from 0 in April, it has taken 5 months to settle into settings that suit my photo needs and style. I posed the same question here in late spring, and if you do a search on the forum you'll find the long string of responses I got. Many from people far more knowledgeable than I.

Let me summarize what a few said. U1 for action (sports, romping kids, pets). U2 for indoor stuff. My take is quite different. U1 for social/family, U2 for product shots.

With neat categories like that, the first thing you'd set is JPEG or RAW to save files. Then AF type. AF-C for things in motion, AF-S for still subjects. Then set the Metering Mode you prefer. Along with that, your backup gun (you know, the revolver hidden in your sock) is MY Menu, where you pack shortcuts to all the stuff you need quickly. Mine is loaded with Built-In Flash settings, Battery Monitor, Artificial Horizon.

U1 and U2 each allow a differing arrangement for MY MENU. As time passed and I got weary of setting menus, I learned about the architecture of the D7000, and how it provides 'back doors' and 'short cuts'. A big one is the INFO button on the lower right side of the camera back. Hit the button once and you get an enlarged LCD display of the Control Panel on top, combined with things depicted in the Viewfinder. f-stop, Shutter, ISO, Focus Mode, Metering Mode and lots more.

But then......... hit the Info button a 2nd time and there are avenues that burrow deep into menus for setting the Fn button, Preview button, Picture Contol (vivid etc), AF selections, noise and distortion correction and a few more.

In short, I would suggest that you consider learning all the controls on the camera, before spending and inordinate amount of time stacking preferences into U1/U2 and Saved Settings. The latter is a 3rd collection of preferences governing how the camera reacts in the PASM modes.

I'm sure others will chime in on these subjects. But first take a look at previous postings on the same issue.

Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Mon 10-Sep-12 10:21 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Whitesboro, US

Thank you I will search out your post from the spring, I am comfortable using the 7000 and I use the my menu feature to my advantage for my shooting, I guess the U1 and U2 could just be 2 extra my menus for me.

Thanks again
Joe

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 11-Sep-12 08:49 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Estoril, PT

My own U1 is programmed for CLS/AWLS work, with a button recalling the flash commander mode page, and anothet acting as Fv lock. Manual exposure mode, as recomended by Mr. Strobist.

U2 is set also for manual mode but with auto-ISO, used for lighting in difficult conditions or tele work. Choose the acceptable shutter speed according to subject motion and focal distance, set aperture as desired for DOF, ligth gathering or sharpness, and auto-ISO will take care of the correct exposure (within its latitude).

This is one of the great features on the D7000, the ability to program user modes.

Other possible uses are setting one up for black and white, action shooting, or low-light optimization.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 11-Sep-12 09:24 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The User banks are some of the most useful and flexible features of the D7000.
I shoot events fairly often and there are two basic modes as stating points that I routinely use. U1 is set up for available light shooting:Aperture Priority, metering and all the settings that would be normally selected when shooting in variable non-flash lighting.
Switching to U2 gives me Manual mode, and all that I use using flash with remote CLS TTL flash. In 1 second, I get a dozen settings switched over to my most used configurations.

Others have a different set of broad categories of shooting, such as Sports settings and landscape, or for flash indoors versus outdoors available light. Whatever basic setups you use regularly for some specific shooting conditions, if programmed into U1/U2, you will benefit from the added convenience, speed and consistency. How often do you switch over and forget one setting in the menus if rushed? With the User memories, that does not happen.

The flash U2 setting for me requires almost no adjustment after switching since I always shoot in M, fixed ISO, with slow rear curtain in clubs, and bypass about a dozen button and menu settings that I would have to change if I was switching modes manually.

There are so many really well thought out features on the D7000 that help both pro level shooting and beginners that it is hard not to love it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kw_starling Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2012Sat 15-Sep-12 03:08 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Re the U1 and U2 settings, apart from anything else it's great to be able to save these settings to a memory card so they can be reloaded should anything untoward occur.

I've had my D7000 since April and haven't experimented with what is possible, unlike others on here. I shoot almost exclusively in aperture mode, fixed ISO setting and have U1 set for JPG fine and U2 for RAW.

Fred

Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Sat 15-Sep-12 10:03 PM
#6. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Whitesboro, US

Thanks for responding, I find the controls on the 7000 so intuitive that I can quickly and easily. I also use th my menu feature where I store the exposure delay, white balance, and ISO settings along widths few ore options I may need from time to time.

Joe

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 15-Sep-12 11:46 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 16-Sep-12 12:05 AM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

Actually, the U1/U2 settings are not transferred to and from the SD card when you "Save/load settings". This saves or loads all other settings in the camera but the U1/U2 are not touched by this process. There is another menu item "Save user settings" that takes the current mode (PSAM) and configurations and then loads it into the selected U position but this never makes it to the SD card.

Of course, you could switch to the Ux position, and then select the "Save/load settings" item and save that to the SD card as a backup of you Ux position. Then you could transfer the settings file to your computer for safe keeping. You would need to do this once for each Ux position to save its contents. I also keep my standard base settings on an SD card so I can get back to a known position in a hurry.

I use U1 as my UFO/Alien visitor mode where the camera makes all the choices for the exposure and focus selection but I still get to decide whether or not the flash fires and anything else I choose as I don't really like the Auto mode. This way when the UFO lands I just have to worry about selecting U1 and taking the lens cap off. This also works good when I hand the camera to someone to take a picture for me.

U2 I have set for HDR bracketing.

I also keep another SD card with a settings file on it that has my timelapse config baked in.

Happy shooting...

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Sun 16-Sep-12 12:16 AM
#8. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Whitesboro, US

Funny, I watched close encounters last night maybe I will set U 1 as my UFO setting.

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Mon 14-Jan-13 01:00 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

At first i was frustrated by this, but after reading this thread and one other one on this topic, I see that this is extremely powerful: you actually have four saved mode settings: U1, U2, the one saved on the SD card, and the mode that you were in last time you had PASM selected. So you could have UFO mode in U1, Art mode in U2, another mode on the SD card, flash mode that would be recalled when you went to S or M mode. I think I get it, but I'll have to fiddle around to understand it.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Mon 14-Jan-13 02:05 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

At first i was frustrated by this, but after reading this thread and one other one on this topic, I see that this is extremely powerful: you actually have four saved mode settings: U1, U2, the one saved on the SD card, and the mode that you were in last time you had PASM selected. So you could have UFO mode in U1, Art mode in U2, another mode on the SD card, flash mode that would be recalled when you went to S or M mode. I think I get it, but I'll have to fiddle around to understand it.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 14-Jan-13 05:03 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Angeles, US

U1 & U2 are explained on page 75 of the User's Manual. They are stored in the camera memory and put into effect by turning the Mode dial.

Save/Load setting are saved to the memory card in slot one. This is explained on page 244. You can download these to your computer, as someone has said. When you format the SD card to erase images, you lose the setting. Easily enough restored if you have the backup of the file on your computer.

Save settings are a bit more limited in what you can save compared to U1/U2. But it gives you a third menu of preferences to control the D7000 to suit your tastes. In all 3 of these maneuvers don't forget to program in your settings for MY MENU. The neat thing about MY MENU is you can program buttons including Fn and Prev to bring you to the top item in MY MENU. Now, that is fast.

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Mon 14-Jan-13 01:41 PM
#12. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Austin, US

Thanks for the tip about hitting the Info button twice - if that's in the manual, I missed it.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20883 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.