Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20875
View in linear mode

Subject: "Blinking flash symbol in view finder" Previous topic | Next topic
jdlawrence Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008Sun 09-Sep-12 05:02 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Blinking flash symbol in view finder"

Anchorage, US

I have been using my D7000 since it first came out. I usually shoot, outdoors, in Manual at iso 500.
The other day I was taking photos of all of the cabins on our remote Alaskan Island. I notice the blinking FLASH symbol in the view finder. I was not using any flash. The built in flash was down. No external flash was attached. There was more than adequate light to shoot at 22/320. No matter what I do,the flashing symbol does not go off.

Any ideas????

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
09th Sep 2012
elec164 Silver Member
09th Sep 2012
jdlawrence Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
elec164 Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
          Reply message I RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder
mudman2 Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
10th Sep 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
10th Sep 2012
PAStime Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
smythie
13th Sep 2012
suzyk Silver Member
13th Sep 2012

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Sep-12 06:04 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

What mode?

Rocky

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 09-Sep-12 06:04 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 1

Raleigh, US

Oh, you said manual.

Rocky

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 09-Sep-12 12:26 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Sep-12 12:28 PM by elec164

US

>No matter what I do,the flashing symbol does not go off.

That symbol will flash whenever "THE CAMERA" deems the flash is necessary to achieve proper exposure. What the camera's algorithm that analyzes the data from the light meter thinks and what you deem necessary can often disagree. It really doesn't go to a specific shutter speed, aperutre or ISO setting, but an analyzation of what is hitting the entire sensor.

Just ignore it, or if it bothers you turn Custom setting d12 off.

Pete

Pete

jdlawrence Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008Mon 10-Sep-12 05:10 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 3

Anchorage, US

Thank you. I know what is suppose to do. I am just curious why it happening in bright sunlight and, at all meter settings (spot etc). Why did it just started to happening?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 10-Sep-12 11:54 AM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>why it happening in bright sunlight and, at all meter settings
>(spot etc). Why did it just started to happening?

Perhaps it's been happening all the while, you perhaps just began to notice it. And now that you noticed it you are more cognizant of it occurring.

As to the why and wherefore, to know that you would need to know the reasoning behind the algorithm that triggers it. And I don't think Nikon will release it's proprietary info any time soon.

For instance when experimenting in my dungeon (as my wife affectionately calls my basement computer room) when I point the camera at one of the lights, I get a meter reading of 1/800th, f/2.8 at ISO 100 and the flash symbol is blinking. Yet when I point it at the window which is totally covered by a curtain I get a reading of 1/40th, f/2.8 at ISO 100, but no flashing symbol. The difference it that the window curtain fills the frame, whereas the light only fils about 30% of the frame. But if I move the camera so that part of the wall is showing with the window, then the flash symbol starts blinking. So it appears that if a bright are fills half the frame with a significantly dimmer area filling the rest of the frame, the algorithm thinks that fill flash would improve the exposure.

Again that's just a guess on my part from observations on how it responds. And perhaps that is similar to what you are experiencing.

Pete

Pete

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 10-Sep-12 01:34 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "I RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 5

Jamison, US

I agree, when I shoot sunrises directly at the sun, the flash comes on. Unfortunately my SB700 does not have the guide number high enough to help.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 10-Sep-12 07:29 PM
#7. "I RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 6

Raleigh, US

Made me laugh, Michael.

Rocky

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 10-Sep-12 07:43 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "I RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 7

Jamison, US

Thanks Rocky

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 10-Sep-12 09:51 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If this is displaying in Matrix metering mode, it means the background is dominate and the fill flash is needed to bring the subject up to balance with the background. Back lit scenes often need flash for balance not matter the overall scene tone.
If you are close to the subject, pop the flash or use an external flash on TTL BL mode and see if that does not help a lot in getting a nice balance between subject and background.
When you know the back light will cause you problems and want to meter on the subject, switch to spot or center weighted and let the background blow out, the subject will be exposed properly without flash.
Portraits or candids in sunlight often have this imbalance between background and subject. After a while you will just know it instantly when visually analyzing a scene and either change your position, the subject, seek some defused shade etc. The dynamic range of such scenes is often far in excess of the camera's range, despite the D7000 having a fantastic DR. Our eyes have a much wider DR.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 10-Sep-12 10:58 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

Yep, I too was thinking fill flash is being called for!

>Our eyes have a much wider DR.

Yes. And our eyes adjust their aperture on the fly as we look around a scene. Can't do that with a photograph.

Peter

smythie Registered since 22nd Aug 2012Thu 13-Sep-12 04:32 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 10

Sydney, AU

And on top of that our brain does some phenomenal post processing to produce an "image" to suit how we sub-consciously think it should look.

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Thu 13-Sep-12 10:22 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Blinking flash symbol in view finder"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Jeffrey,

Thanks for asking this question, I had the same question today for my D90 and found this thread via search. Photographing daffodils; well lit but the background was dark. Flash did not improve the shot.

Playing around, I found similar to Pete. Another reason not to use AUTO I think (so we choose when to use flash rather than camera).

Cheers,
Suzy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20875 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.