Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20803
View in linear mode

Subject: "ML-L3 and autofocus" Previous topic | Next topic
jfmondou Registered since 09th Aug 2012Tue 04-Sep-12 01:32 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ML-L3 and autofocus"

Saint-Hubert, CA

Hello,

I would like to experiment self-portraits. My remote control device is the ML-L3. I recently found out that contrary to what is said on page 82 in the user manual (Focusing in Remote Control Mode), one must be in mode «Manual» to get the expected result.

I have tried the ML-L3 while being in Aperture Priority mode. If I press half-way the shutter-release button (focus), then the focus stays locked. There are two manners to unlock the focus, 1) swith from «A» to «M» and back to «A» and 2) set the release mode dial to «S» and focus then swith the mode dial to «Remote Control» and then use the ML-L3.

I would appreciate if others could comment on this. Moreover, I would like to know if there exists a clear and complete explanation (e.g. Nikon) on how to use the ML-L3.
Thank you. Jean-François

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ML-L3 and autofocus
jfmondou
04th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
04th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
04th Sep 2012
jfmondou
04th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
jfmondou
06th Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Sep 2012
jfmondou
18th Sep 2012
Patrick604
18th Sep 2012
jfmondou
18th Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
10th Sep 2012

jfmondou Registered since 09th Aug 2012Tue 04-Sep-12 12:13 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 0

Saint-Hubert, CA

Jean-François

I am Jean-Francois, the same person who posted the original message. I give it more thought and I come to the conclusion that what could be perceived as a flaw might be an intersting feature. It is a nice way to lock the focus! Gee, I should think of a way to creatively exploit this.

However, I still think there is a need for a clear and complete explanation of the ML-L3.
J.-F.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 04-Sep-12 03:00 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Set you lens to manual focus and use the remote.

Get an RF, Radio Frequency remote that supports the 2 position release. There are a number of these 3rd party devices that use adapter cords to connect the receiver to the camera so one only needs to buy a new cord if buy a new camera and the cord release plug changes. The remote for some can even be converted to a wired remote.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 04-Sep-12 01:20 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This doesn't sound right. Do you have the auto focus set to AF-S , single servo mode? See page 91 of your manual. In this mode the camera should focus and release the shutter at the same time in Aperture priority mode when you press the ML-L3 button once. Try it. I don't have the D7000 but that's the way my D5100 works. Maybe someone with a D7000 and ML-L3 can verify that's the way it works.

As far as how the ML-L3 works the info is in the individual camera manuals. It only sends a signal to the camera. How this is interpreted is determined by the camera remote setup.

Len

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 04-Sep-12 04:11 PM
2964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 2

Raleigh, US

Len is correct. In AF-S mode, aperture priority, when you depress the button on the ML-L3 wireless remote, the D7000 will first focus and then the shutter will release.

Rocky

jfmondou Registered since 09th Aug 2012Tue 04-Sep-12 11:25 PM
#5. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 2

Saint-Hubert, CA

Len,

My auto focus is set to AF-S. Besides, my camera works perfectly in manual mode. When I press de ML-L3 button, the camera focuses and releases the shutter (I take self-portraits). I can repeat the operation and if I want to check the focus, I could press half-way the shutter-release button. However, in aperture priority mode, once the camera is in focus, it stays locked.

You are much more experienced photographers than me. So, if you say that it should work in aperture priority mode, I just wounder what is the problem. Could it be my lens? I am using an AF Zoom-NIKKOR ED 80-200mm f/2.8 D.

Thank you again. J.-F.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 05-Sep-12 12:26 AM
2964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 05-Sep-12 12:32 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

J.-F.,

I don't think this is the problem since you say it works in manual mode, but make sure you have custom setting a2 set to the default setting of Focus.

Also, have you tried using Live View in aperture priority mode to see if both the focus and shutter release operate when using the remote?

Rocky

jfmondou Registered since 09th Aug 2012Thu 06-Sep-12 12:54 AM
#8. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 6

Saint-Hubert, CA

Rocky,

Great snakes! My custom setting a2 was set to «Release». I did as you recommended and it works fine. Each time I press the ML-L3 button, the camera gets in focus and then the shutter releases.

Thanks to you Rocky (and to Leonard) for your advices. May I push my luck and ask one more question. Why is it necessary to set a2 to the default setting of Focus to use the ML-L3 in Aperture Priority mode while the ML-L3 works normally in Manual mode regardless of the a2 setting ?

OK, one more. What is the advantage of using a wireless remote device (eg. Vello Wireless Remote Shutter Release) over the ML-L3 ?

Thank you again,
J.-F.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 06-Sep-12 02:10 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 06-Sep-12 02:23 PM by Leonard62

US

a2 setting. (This is how I think it works with a remote. Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
In release mode the shutter release must be pushed to fire the shutter, at least in A mode. In M mode pressing the ML-L3 button the second time is like pressing the shutter release.
In focus mode the shutter will fire when the AF system is in focus. It does not require pressing the shutter.

Wireless remote.
Systems like the Vello use RF transmission. It is not directional like the ML-L3 plus it has a much more extended range, up to 320 feet. It will work from the side or above the camera or anywhere. The ML-L3 must be pointed at the IR sensor on the camera body.

Len

jfmondou Registered since 09th Aug 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 12:25 AM
#11. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 8

Saint-Hubert, CA

This is an update about the use of the ML-L3.
First, I just want to remind that I documented the «anomaly» with my AF Zoom-NIKKOR ED 80-200mm f/2.8 D.
Now, I just found out that, using the AF-S VR Micro-105mm f/2.8G IF-ED,the ML-L3 works just fine (e.g. as described in the user manual) in Aperture Priority mode regardless of the a2 setting.

There must be a little something which makes older lenses incompatible with the Aperture Priority mode while using the ML-L3. But what? I did not try yet, but I guess the autofocus is bogus with my AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D (ML-L3, Aperture Priority mode, a2 set to Release).

J.-F.

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 01:36 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 11

US

J.-F.

When you had the big 80-200 f2.8 on your camera, did you have the aperture locked to the smallest f/stop? With the older lenses, this must be done in the auto exposure modes or the camera will not fire.

jfmondou Registered since 09th Aug 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 04:13 PM
#13. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 12

Saint-Hubert, CA

Patrick,

The answer is yes.
J.-F.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 05-Sep-12 02:35 PM
#7. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 5

US

J.-F.

Since you can get the remote to work in M mode and you're happy with it is the important thing. You can do what you want to do.

That you can't get it to work the way it should work in A mode means there may be a setting off somewhere. Take Rocky's advice and see where A2 is set. I would be surprised if the camera had a fault. I doubt that the lens is at fault but try another lens and see what happens. Are you at the end of the close focus distance of your lens?

Len

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 10-Sep-12 10:42 PM
#10. "RE: ML-L3 and autofocus"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I meant to add that I prefer the MC-DC2 corded remote. It works like the shutter button on the camera, half press to focus and full press to release the shutter.

Rocky

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20803 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.