Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20769
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 image sensor foreign matter" Previous topic | Next topic
rolandwasawarrior Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 06:10 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 image sensor foreign matter"

US

My nikon refurbished d7000 all of a sudden began to show dark spots on the photos (several) and when I took it in to a professional he said there appeared to be some kind of an oily substance on the sensor itself and I'm afraid it may be ruined. I have never sprayed anything into the camera except for the rocket-shaped air pump. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 01-Sep-12 06:16 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 image sensor foreign matter"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Yes, and it was documented extensively in this thread .

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rolandwasawarrior Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 06:40 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 image sensor foreign matter"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks much. I'm checking the thread now.

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Tue 04-Sep-12 01:46 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 image sensor foreign matter"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Oily substance is oil from the shutter mechanism. That is the general consensus from all the posts. They are not that easy to clean off, but several cleanings with eclipse fluid did the trick.

Here is the site I used:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

If is one time issue, give it to somebody to clean. If is a recurring problem, then consider learning how to clean it yourself.

Lissajous Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2011Mon 26-Nov-12 11:25 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 image sensor foreign matter"
In response to Reply # 3

Gosford, AU

>If is one time issue, give it to somebody to clean. If is a
>recurring problem, then consider learning how to clean it
>yourself.

If it recurs then send it back to Nikon. They will fix it under warranty and likely even a bit after as it is a known issue of their making - an oil seal on the mirror drive. I had mine fixed and that was the end of the issue.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20769 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.