Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20686
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 05:02 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"

New York City Area, US

Hi Nikonians,

I had an interesting experience while shooting with my D7000 with SB-600. I would love to get your thoughts on how this camera meters the scene with a speedlight for indoors and outdoors.

I was shooting at a BBQ recently and the setting was mixed. Guests were sitting in a tent with very little lighting (semi indoors) and kids were playing in the grass right next to the tent (complete outdoors) and it was a bright sunny day. So i had to constantly go in and out and adapt to shooting conditions instantly to not lose a shot.

I had my D7000 on Auto-ISO with a max of 3200 ISO, Aperture mode.

Situation #1 (Outdoor):
I took some shots of a kid running around in the grass with my flash on and the shots came out way over exposed. I had set the Aperture to be f/7.1 and camera metered shutter at 1/250 and ISO at 1000. Metering mode was "Pattern" for all my shots.

For this situation I think the camera did not take into account the flash and calculated the ISO unnecessarily high.

Situation #2 (Outdoor):
I then turned off the Auto-ISO and had it fixed at ISO 100. Flash was on and the Aperture was f/9.0 and the camera metered shutter at 1/80 and the shot came out properly exposed. Same setting.

I think that turning off Auto-ISO was necessary in this situation to get the correct exposure.

Situation #3 (Indoor):
Using Aperture priority with f/5.6 I had Auto-ISO on. Camera metered shutter at 1/60 and ISO at 800 with flash on. The shot came out way overexposed.

Again I feel that with the Auto-ISO on, camera did not take into account the contribution of flash to the exposure. The ISO should not have been that high.

Situation #4 (Indoor):
Turned off Auto-ISO. With aperture at f/5.6, camera metered shutter at 1/100 and with fixed at 100 and flash on. The picture was properly exposed.

Again I concluded that having Auto-ISO on was a mistake.

I would love to hear your opinions and experiences about this and perhaps get some advice on what I might have been doing wrong if I completely missed in using Auto-ISO properly.

Thanks
ZeeKay

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight
briantilley Moderator
29th Aug 2012
ZeeKay
29th Aug 2012
briantilley Moderator
29th Aug 2012
benmlee
30th Aug 2012
greenwing Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
ZeeKay
30th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
29th Aug 2012
km6xz Moderator
01st Sep 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 29-Aug-12 05:40 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Your observations match mine and others - on any current (and recent) Nikon DSLR, that's how the combination of Auto ISO and a Speedlight works.

Personally, I always turn Auto ISO off when using flash, to avoid the ISO being ramped up unnecessarily.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 05:52 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 1

New York City Area, US

Hi Brian,

So that means Auto-ISO is useless with flash photography?! I did not expect it that way. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Is it the same way with other Nikon cameras? I have a D800 that I bought recently and would like to test on that too some day.

Thanks

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 29-Aug-12 06:56 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

I don't have a D800, but as far as I know they all act in the same way - it's a deliberate choice by Nikon rather than a fault.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Thu 30-Aug-12 05:48 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Is there a reason why setting the ISO to ambient light is a deliberate choice by Nikon. Don't seem to make sense.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 30-Aug-12 10:11 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, GB

>Your observations match mine and others - on any current (and
>recent) Nikon DSLR, that's how the combination of Auto ISO and
>a Speedlight works.
>
>Personally, I always turn Auto ISO off when using flash, to
>avoid the ISO being ramped up unnecessarily.

{pedantic mode on}
Not strictly true, as the D90 is still current (isn't it?) and exhibits the old behaviour.
{pedantic mode off}

This behaviour began with the D300s. Previously, ISO would only be raised by Auto ISO if ambient and flash together could not give a good exposure at the ISO set. Since the D300s the camera seems to seek a good ambient exposure, raising the ISO if necessary, before adding flash. It could be argued that this is a good approach for TTL-BL, when the aim is to balance flash and ambient.

Chris

ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Thu 30-Aug-12 11:35 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 6

New York City Area, US

Hi Chris,

I used to have a D90 not so long ago and after your post I went to my collection and checkout out the images. You are right that D90 was different, hence the confusion for me.

I wish if there was a setting in the setup somewhere to switch between old Auto-ISO and new Auto-ISO approach. Accounting for flash compensation seems intuitive to me when camera meters the scene and selects ISO. The new one is pretty useless for me while using flash.

Thanks for your input.

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 29-Aug-12 05:50 PM
2936 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Hi Nikonians,

>
>Again I concluded that having Auto-ISO on was a mistake.
>
>Thanks
>ZeeKay

Correct. You can't have Auto ISO on when using flash. ISO will be set to the ambient light in the scene.

Len

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 01-Sep-12 05:46 AM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

You have two independent metering systems in use with flash in so the camera will set its exposure to ambient and the flash tries to do the same. All is not lost however, putting the flash into TTL-BL mode alters the flash metering to consider subject illumination while the camera, in Matrix metering is considering the entire scene. TTL-BL is wonderfully flexible.

I use it primarily in M mode so I make a choice as to the ambient exposure of the entire scene, such as with strong back-lighting. In that case the camera is adjusted to expose the scene to how I wish the brighter background it exposed and leave the flash to do its magic, properly exposing the subject. If I want a darker background, I make settings for scene under exposure by the degree that fits my intent. Usually a couple stop underexposed to make sure the subject is isolated.
In fact, TTL-BL is so versatile, I very seldom use TTL flash. Bounce, focused, back-lit, foreground lit, any ratio between background and subject light is handled very well.

Shooters of other brands of cameras probably are more envious of your flash system than anything else, Nikon really has it down.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20686 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.