Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20635
View in linear mode

Subject: "Considering D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
glock30fan Registered since 12th Aug 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 01:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Considering D7000"

US

Hello,

New here, have been a Canon fan but sold all of my Canon gear and looking at possibly purchasing the D7000. I have been researching cameras so much I think my brain is going to explode. lol
I have been comparing the D7000 and the Canon 60D.

Rumor has it that the D7000 may be replaced soon at Photokina. Some say it will be a FX D600. Some say it will be another DX camera. I'm not sure anyone knows other than Nikon. I am not concerned about going FX as I am not a professional. However, I hate to pull the trigger now and have Nikon announce a replacement in the next couple of weeks.

Also, I noticed that Nikon has come out with new rebates for the D7000. The price is getting really attractive at this point. I will need to get a good lens, considering the Sigma 17-50.

Any ideas, recommendations?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Considering D7000
Isaac Saunders Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
27th Aug 2012
Patrick604
27th Aug 2012
glock30fan
28th Aug 2012
torwood Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
km6xz Moderator
29th Aug 2012
dwaycie Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
km6xz Moderator
01st Sep 2012
jagabom Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
SirPuttsAlot Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
Peterdan Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
09th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
03rd Sep 2012
D7K Fan
03rd Sep 2012
benmlee
04th Sep 2012
D7K Fan
04th Sep 2012
dm1dave Administrator
04th Sep 2012
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
04th Sep 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
09th Sep 2012

Isaac Saunders Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 03:38 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Orrtanna, US

I've really come to like my D7000. It's completely reliable and takes awesome images. The body is pretty tough and is sealed up really well for a camera in this price class. I also have the 18-105mm Nikon kit lens that is offered with the body. It is a really nice addition to my lens line-up. Really nice glass with a do-it-all zoom range.

But here's the flip side, my friend shoots with the 60D. We're both on about the same skill level and have shot the same places. If you put 2 of our images side by side you couldn't tell which camera they came off of. Both cameras are really good choices in my opinion. I was looking at the 60D and comparing like you are. The only reason I bought the Nikon was I already had 4 lenses that would have gotten really dusty if I bought the Canon!

Hope it helps you out!
Isaac

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 27-Aug-12 06:35 PM
1725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I purchased my D7000 about 18 months ago and love it. The purchase price included a Nikkor 18-200mm which is an okay kit lens. I have also added a Sigma 8-16mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and, most recently, a Sigma 17-70, which I find to be a very nice lens!

The D7000 is rugged, reliable and I've been extremely pleased with it. I've used it in workshops in Yosemite and Eastern Sierras and probably expose about 100 images per week on average.

If you can get rebates on the D7000 - go for it - unless you absolutely have to have the latest model and are convinced that the 7000 is being replaced.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 06:48 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There is always something new just around the corner. You can wait it out or get a D7000 now and enjoy the excellent image quality it provides. The D7000 is an amazing camera, and finally got me using digital instead of film for my serious photography. If you need a camera now, take the plunge.

glock30fan Registered since 12th Aug 2012Tue 28-Aug-12 11:16 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am strongly considering the Nikon D7000.
I may go ahead and get it now as I am sure when ever the replacement is announced it will be considerably more than what you can purchase a D7000 for now.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 02:19 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Jefferson Hills, US

Well, here is my two cents:

I have the D7000, and considered Canon very hard when I chose the Nikon system about 12 years ago. I have kept up with Canon's product line over the years (one of my best friends shoots Canon), and I have a closet full of DX and FX lenses for Nikon. The D7000 is my third DX Nikon digital body. It is superb. I would not trade it for anything Canon has in the DX lineup. That said, I can't say the same thing for the lenses. While Nikon lenses are excellent, Canon is still technologically ahead. They were first to the market with AFS (USM), and VR (IS). As such, pretty much ALL of their lenses are USM, and nearly everything you would want to have IS, has it.

Nikon, on the other hand still makes a few lenses that are missing critical features (for some people), like the AFS 300 f4 (with no VR), and the famously slow focusing AF 80-400 VR (with no AFS). Canon also makes a few very attractive lenses that Nikon doesn't, like the great, lightweight, and affordable, 70-200 f4L. It also seems that lens for lens, comparable Canon lenses are a little less expensive than Nikon's.

If I were recommending a system these days, it would be based on the following: If all you shoot are landscapes, candids, portraits, or travel,...then I would go Nikon, because the lenses for those subjects are great and the bodies are better handling. If you want to shoot sports or action, it's hard to argue with Canon's lens lineup, especially since their current bodies have far better low ISO performance than before (when the Nikon bodies were clearly superior).

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 29-Aug-12 02:25 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

I am a big fan of the D7000 as the best DX imaging device on the market but whether it is best for you depends on your shooting style and subjects. If you can describe what you intend to use it for and what characteristics are most important to you, not features, but light and subject characteristics.
All modern cameras have more features than just about anyone needs but which ones help or complicate your shooting is more important to known than the length of a features list.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dwaycie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Wed 29-Aug-12 02:44 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Buffalo Grove, US

The Canon vs Nikon decision can make your head explode. Frankly, I made the choice for Nikon because the camera (a D90 at that point) just felt better in my hands, and the controls seemed more intuitive.

Dave

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 29-Aug-12 03:59 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Brighton and Hove, GB

>Frankly, I made the choice for Nikon because the camera (a D90
>at that point) just felt better in my hands

Same here. I bought into the Nikon system with a D70 because it felt perfect in my hand and the tiny second-generation digital Rebel felt horrible. Things might be different today if I was comparing D7000 and 60D. Take the one that feels right.

The Sigma 17-50 is a nice lens, you won't go wrong with that.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 01-Sep-12 10:58 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

That is interesting, many people including me, went to Nikon because their hobbyist camera just felt better. I had shot film for a couple decades with the Canon A1. Loved it, took it all over the world but ended up giving it to my then girlfriend when she expressed a strong desire to get into serious photography. with it went 18 top lenses. A couple days later she sold it all! Exit GF.

When I decided to get back into it long after that incident, digital was the way to go. I researched for weeks and decided a modestly priced 450D. Finally, when back for a visit to California and the store I bought my camera gear from over the years, I finally got a chance to see one in person.

My first immediate response was that is was a toy, not a serious camera. I was very disappointed because I had set a modest budget and that camera looked great on paper.I was about to leave to go do more research when the rather well informed salesgirl said there was a new model but she hesitated to show it to me because she knew I would like it and it was way over my stated budget(actually twice) That was the D90 with 18-105vr lens.
It felt good, like a tool, before even turning it on, I told her to write it up. I was lucky, it could have been a good feeling bad camera but it was such a good camera that everything just fell into place and it all came back to me.
By the time the battery charged I had read the manual. I have not read a manual since..not the D7000 nor the D800. All three cameras are intuitive and logical.

Sometimes feel is everything.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 11:05 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 01-Sep-12 11:09 PM by jagabom

CA

I came from an old Konica Autoreflex so I can't compare. One guy I know says he likes the Canon because it has more variety of lens. Another person said they thought the colors were better on the Canon. As far as.lenses go, as long as they are the best picture I don't mind that Canon may have more lenses. The colors are perfect on my Nikon. On my 42" tv, it is better then real life. I just like the feel of the D7K.
Jim

SirPuttsAlot Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2011Sun 02-Sep-12 12:04 PM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 02-Sep-12 12:06 PM by SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US

I was in the same boat as you last year when I was comparing the two. I eventually went with the Nikon D7000 due to the lens. Nikon had better, but more expensive lenses for DX.

As for the D7000 vs what's new around the corner. If you are looking for a camera in the near future, then even if Nikon comes out with the D7100, D7200, D8000 whatever, history says it will be a while before you get it in your hands. The D7000 was announced Sept 15 and didn't ship till Nov 2010, and wasn't easy to get ahold of until early 2011. Same story with the D800/D800E.

Unless you are in no need for the camera in the near future and can be patient to wait to see how everything unfolds, I wouldn't hesitate grabbing a D7000. I personally would probably grab it with a 24-70 f/2.8 due to the $400 combined savings. I ran around with that as my only lens for a while and as long as I didn't need the wide angle, it never came off. I would rather have a better lens than a newer body any day.

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 08:16 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Lebanon, US

" I would rather have a better lens than a newer body any day."
Ditto! Also there plenty of older nikon lenses that you can get that fro a good price and they will work on a D7000. Where as with canons there mount changed and the old lenses won't work.

I am not a number. I am a free man!

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Sun 09-Sep-12 02:54 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Vallejo, US

>" I would rather have a better lens than a newer body
>any day."
>Ditto! Also there plenty of older nikon lenses that you can
>get that fro a good price and they will work on a D7000. Where
>as with canons there mount changed and the old lenses won't
>work.

I dont necessarily agree. After borrowing a D7000 for a day I gave my D90 to my daughterin-law and got myself a D7000. There is a significant improvement in the colors,dynamic range ,lo light performance and some of the controls are more intuitive.

My point is that sometimes a new body is worth investing in.

Bob

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 03-Sep-12 03:10 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

No such user profile.
The user has disabled his/her user profile or is inactive.

Maybe he decided on a Canon.

Rocky

D7K Fan Registered since 03rd Sep 2012Mon 03-Sep-12 08:37 PM
#14. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>No such user profile.
>The user has disabled his/her user profile or is inactive.
>
>Maybe he decided on a Canon.
>
>Rocky

Hey Rocky,
I am the original OP.
I had to change my screen name..lol
I am still seriously considering the D7000.

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Tue 04-Sep-12 01:36 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I was making the same decision few months ago. D7000 does have a have magnesium body with some seals that 60D don't have. For outdoors, that will keep the fine dust away. The other thing is D7000 have an extra focus motor inside the body. That allow you to get the older lens for cheap. The 70-210 f4 was only $170. Because lower range Nikon don't have the motor, and higher range Nikon are for people who want the latest greatest lens, D7000 people have less competition for the older lens.

D7K Fan Registered since 03rd Sep 2012Tue 04-Sep-12 04:53 PM
#16. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Well,
I ordered a Nikon D7000 today.
I ordered the body only and the Sigma 17-50 lens and picked up a Nikon 70-300 VR.
I'm excited to receive it.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 04-Sep-12 09:47 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

Lowden, US

Enjoy your new D7K!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Tue 04-Sep-12 10:50 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Considering D7000"

Summit, US

You made the right decision. Nikon's D7000 is very possibly the best DX series camera Nikon have ever manufactured. You will most likely never exhaust this camera's potential. The whole unit is so good you could use almost any glass on it, although I prefer Nikon lenses. From your very first enlargement you will quickly realize the excellent image quality this camera produces. Good luck with your new D7000. You won't ever be sorry.

efeibush

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 05-Sep-12 01:31 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Considering D7000"

Raleigh, US

Congratulations on your new D7000. I bet you will love it.

Rocky

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 09-Sep-12 04:44 AM
25566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Considering D7000"

US

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on your new D7000 kit.
I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Sun 09-Sep-12 07:04 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Considering D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Whitesboro, US

Picked up a D7000 as replacement for for D90, I love it especially the 2 SD card slots, I can shot one raw one jpeg if I need jpegs quickly, or I use it as back when I travel. I hope the D600 is an FX with 2 SD slots if so I will be adding that to my collection. I am not a CF card fan and The D4 now has the new QXD card I am not interested in getting new media.

I would say rent the 7000 for a week or so and see how you like it. I think you will be happy

http://www.keeponshooting.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20635 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.