Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20603
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and faster SD cards" Previous topic | Next topic
Joe Huckleberry Registered since 13th Aug 2012Sat 25-Aug-12 06:33 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and faster SD cards"

US

Hello,

I have a couple class 10 cards, then tried a SanDisk UHS-1 45mb/s card. I noticed a nice performance improvement wrt the write buffer draining much faster.

Has anyone tried both the 45mb/s and 90mb/s, and is there a noticable difference between the two. Or, does the D7000 max out with the 45mb/s card, and going to 90 won't do much?

Thanks,

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and faster SD cards
RockyIII Gold Member
25th Aug 2012
Joe Huckleberry
25th Aug 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
27th Aug 2012
tmpart
08th Sep 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
08th Sep 2012
tmpart
19th Sep 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
16th Sep 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
17th Sep 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Aug 2012
schadowrider Platinum Member
25th Aug 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
Joe Huckleberry
25th Aug 2012
Isaac Saunders Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
DinoCardelli
26th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Aug 2012
DinoCardelli
27th Aug 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
15th Sep 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
17th Sep 2012

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 25-Aug-12 01:18 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 25-Aug-12 01:18 PM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

According to Rob Galbraith's tests, the SanDisk 95 MB/s cards perform just a little better than the 45 MB/s cards in the D7000.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12454

Rocky

Joe Huckleberry Registered since 13th Aug 2012Sat 25-Aug-12 08:50 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the link, a lot of info there.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 05:41 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 1

HIXSON, US

Rocky, Thanks for this link.

I may have overpaid for the San Disk Extreme Pro 95MB/s. When I have shot by holding my finger on the shutter release for about 15 seconds, I never had a slowdown or noticeable buffer problems. I was shooting highest MP NEF (To Card-1) plus highest MP JPG (To Card-2).

I just can't see trying to skimp on memory cards when shooting $2K + worth of camera/lens, etc. Would you try to find the cheapest possible spark plugs and gas for your Ferrari? "Hey, would you guys mind getting everyone back together so that I can take those wedding photos again?"

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tmpart Registered since 31st Aug 2012Sat 08-Sep-12 03:00 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks for that. I just bought my 7000 and dithered a bit between the 45 and 95 and chose the 45 speed because I was concerned it wouldn't drive the 95. The 45 has been totally fine, but it's good to know the faster card will be fine. My next batch I get will be the faster card. Will it drive a 32 or 64G card?

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 08-Sep-12 07:07 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 13

Maidenhead, GB

The D7000 will work with a 64GB card no problem. One thing to bear in mind though is it's a lot of data to lose if you have a card fail on you. If you're going to use large capacity cards, I'd strongly recommend setting slot 2 as a back-up.

tmpart Registered since 31st Aug 2012Wed 19-Sep-12 06:14 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Now that you bring that up, I think it would be better to have a number of 16G cards rather than some massive capacity cards. It's easy to change cards and the smaller cards are definitely cheaper. I think the 45 speed is more than adequate as well. I don't shoot sports or anything that would require high speed.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 16-Sep-12 10:57 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Charlie,

Are you being 100% serious with this? I ask b/c no matter what cards I use, if I choose RAW files, the buffers on my D7000 bodies are done after less than 5 seconds of continuous shooting. I've tried this test with bodies, using the fastest Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, purchased from a reputable source. I'm assuming you're using CH mode, 6fps.

Is anybody else able to get 15 seconds of sustained shooting on CH with their D7000?

> When
>I have shot by holding my finger on the shutter release for
>about 15 seconds, I never had a slowdown or noticeable buffer
>problems. I was shooting highest MP NEF (To Card-1) plus highest MP >JPG (To Card-2).
>
>Charlie
>
>

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 17-Sep-12 01:36 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon 17-Sep-12 01:42 AM by cwils02

HIXSON, US

I was serious. It is possible that I was mistaken, since I was more "focused" on what I was shooting than worrying about the buffer. But I didn't notice any problems.

Busy week, but if I get a chance this week, I will try to recreate my scenario with the same camera, lens, cards starting from empty, etc. and see what happens. D7000, 18-200mm VRII, RAW 14bit going to Card-1, and full size (Fine) jpegs going to Card-2.

Would the focus method, ISO, etc. have any affect? I know there is some in-camera processing (I didn't knowingly do any of that) that seems to have a bad affect on throughput.

Charlie

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 17-Sep-12 02:01 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Thanks. I don't do any in-camera processing (have all noise reduction, etc., turned off). I've tried AF-S and AF-C single point and multi-point. Auto ISO, ISO fixed at 100 (or some other value).

I would be very, very happy to get 15 seconds of continuous shooting. As it is, I get just enough for most events, but do have to be careful if things are moving faster than normal.

>I was serious. It is possible that I was mistaken, since I
>was more "focused" on what I was shooting than
>worrying about the buffer. But I didn't notice any problems.
>
>Busy week, but if I get a chance this week, I will try to
>recreate my scenario with the same camera, lens, cards
>starting from empty, etc. and see what happens. D7000,
>18-200mm VRII, RAW 14bit going to Card-1, and full size (Fine)
>jpegs going to Card-2.
>
>Would the focus method, ISO, etc. have any affect? I know
>there is some in-camera processing (I didn't knowingly do any
>of that) that seems to have a bad affect on throughput.
>
>Charlie

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 25-Aug-12 04:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

After a certain point, the hardware and firmware in the camera will limit the rate of writing and reading to the media. So any card that can transfer data faster than the camera can process it, will only be benaficial to you if you use card reader that can handle your faster card.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

schadowrider Platinum Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2012Sat 25-Aug-12 05:28 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

Interestingly, the two higher speed UHS-1 cards I've used in the D7000 (a Transcend and a ProMaster, both 16GB) have gotten card errors, which I've never had happen with any other cards. I took the ProMaster back to the store, and they couldn't repeat the issue on the store D7000, but they gave me a replacement card anyway. This all happened while traveling -- when I got home, the replacement ProMaster started doing the same thing. I contacted Nikon about the issue, and was told they wouldn't address it or take the camera in to look at since these aren't cards on the official compatibility list. The cards work fine on the P7100 so I've kept them.

http://shadowriderimages.com

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 25-Aug-12 07:55 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 25-Aug-12 07:56 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

This is a topic I see quite often. In my own experience, the benefits of the 95 MB/s and 45 MB/s over the 30 MB/s cards are marginal at best. With a stopwatch, you'll notice about a second or so of difference in the flush time from a full buffer to empty. In real every day use, it's hardly noticeable, and in my opinion not worth the extra investment in the cards. The D7000's buffer seems to top out at about 25 MB/s write speed, so there quickly comes a point where a faster card doesn't reap any gain in performance.

I own cards in all three ratings, and normally only buy the 30 MB/s cards now as they offer almost the same performance as the 'faster' cards at a much lower price point.

Joe Huckleberry Registered since 13th Aug 2012Sat 25-Aug-12 08:49 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I often take picture of things that are moving fast. Airplanes, cars, horses, birds, ... so going from class 10 to UHS-1 was a very noticable improvement. Of course, if I shoot "fine jpg" instead of raw the buffer limit seems to mostly disappear. But with raw, things quickly backup after 2-3 seconds at max fps

Isaac Saunders Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2012Sun 26-Aug-12 10:42 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 5

Orrtanna, US

I just had 4 Transcends with 85mb write speed that had card errors and didn't work at all. Replaced with SanDisk Extreme's and they work fine

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Sun 26-Aug-12 11:44 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 26-Aug-12 11:46 PM by DinoCardelli

Plantation, US

>This is a topic I see quite often. In my own experience, the
>benefits of the 95 MB/s and 45 MB/s over the 30 MB/s cards are
>marginal at best. With a stopwatch, you'll notice about a
>second or so of difference in the flush time from a full
>buffer to empty. In real every day use, it's hardly
>noticeable, and in my opinion not worth the extra investment
>in the cards. The D7000's buffer seems to top out at about 25
>MB/s write speed, so there quickly comes a point where a
>faster card doesn't reap any gain in performance.
>
>I own cards in all three ratings, and normally only buy the 30
>MB/s cards now as they offer almost the same performance as
>the 'faster' cards at a much lower price point.

I remember reading the same....

The D7K can only r/wrt at 30mbs...so, a 95 is a waste of time....

Also, check the user's manual...I think they indicate the type of cards "approved" and most are less than 30/mbs....

that being said...I do own the 45 mbs...and they work fine...

I don't think it's worth the extra $$$$ for the 95...again, why ?

BTW, I tend to buy the 8 or 16G cards and change frequently during a long shoot...they are less expensive and I can be assured I don't loose my shots due to the backups.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 27-Aug-12 12:01 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 8

Chicago, US

Nikon provides a list of some of the media cards that are available and work with the camera at the time of the camera's release. As newer cards become available Nikon does not update their manuals nor is your copy in any format updated. So it is possible other and newer cards could work.

Keeping with the brands Nikon has had success with and checking the vendors web site can help one see if a card could possibly work. Also buying from a reputable source will help. There are internet sellers selling seconds and knock-offs and they can fail.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Mon 27-Aug-12 11:25 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 9

Plantation, US

Agree 100% on the buy from reputable dealers..

Buddie did the e-bay thing and raved how he got 16G cards for $15 or something...bought half a dozen...and lost hundreds of photos....at a recent shoot...

Good investment...

Anything can fail...but, I buy only from a reputable Office Supply if on the road or BH/Adorma all my SD and CF cards...

Also, point well taken...haven read all the firmware updates on whether faster cards are in acceptable...I just read the user's manual and found the type of cards available..

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Thu 30-Aug-12 06:29 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 9

Raleigh, US

I have not seen a list from Nikon with card speeds listed for the D7000, although they do say UHS-1 is supported.

Rocky

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Sat 15-Sep-12 01:41 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I use my 45s ($58 each) on my D7000 and my 95s ($52 each!) on my Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder. Just great performance. I buy online because you can get some great deals instead of buying in local camera stores.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 15-Sep-12 03:24 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Always the contrarian.....I find that my cheapo Class 10 cards work just fine, and the only losses seen have been with my most expensive card I got at the same time I got my D800. For the D7000, I never saw that it made any real difference except to my wallet.
The failure of the Sandisk really upset me because it was a serious landscape session, my first one where all the conditions were great with the new camera, tripod, ND filters, CPL, hiking 10 miles with 20 lbs of gear on my back and 100 frames, all lost. They sure looked good on the rear display;>( I also has an expensive CF card fail right from new but I was 5,000km away before I discovered it.
When shooting events and a thousand of more shots during an night, I use a lot of smaller cards to prevent the loss of all if there is the inevitable card failure. I use the card in second slot for overflow an so far the cards have not let me down.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 17-Sep-12 01:41 AM
#19. "RE: D7000 and faster SD cards"
In response to Reply # 16

HIXSON, US

Stan, Had you tested the cards (format, take several photos, upload & check them on a PC/Mac, etc.) prior to using them in the shoot that failed?

The only problem that I have had with a card, was one high-end Lexar CF back in 2005. The files were corrupted. I sent the CF to Lexar. They repaired almost every file, and returned the card at no charge.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20603 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.