Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20590
View in linear mode

Subject: "Comments Requested" Previous topic | Next topic
mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Fri 24-Aug-12 07:38 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Comments Requested"

Jamison, US

Not sure quite why this image is the way it is but I like it and would love your comments

and after NX2 D-Lighting correction

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Comments Requested
RLDubbya Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
24th Aug 2012
pieterv10
24th Aug 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
dm1dave Administrator
25th Aug 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
torwood Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
dirtyjack
01st Sep 2012

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 24-Aug-12 10:38 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Good photo, composition is great - I particularly like how you've framed the shore, with the railing, and the jetty(?) - the photo suggests convergence happening in the lower right, but doesn't explicitly show it. The jetty (again, not sure if that's the correct term) really draws the eye into the photo.

I like the first version a bit better than the second. I think the first captures the reflection of the sun in the water just a bit better.

I'd say that this warrants further post-processing work, done carefully. Perhaps selectively raising the exposure of the bottom of the photo only, and gently, to bring up the railing while leaving the water largely alone?

Anyhow, good pic!

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 24-Aug-12 12:58 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-Aug-12 12:59 PM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

Very nice shot. I also prefer the darker version, or perhaps something in between the two.

I think you need to clean your sensor, as there are several dust spots visible on the larger versions.

Rocky

pieterv10 Registered since 09th Jan 2012Fri 24-Aug-12 05:46 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Nice, I also like the first one better.

Not sure I understand your comment about not knowing why the image "is the way it is"?

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Fri 24-Aug-12 08:19 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 24-Aug-12 08:19 PM by RSchussel

Vallejo, US

the auto control in NX2 is just that. Sometimes it does a grat job and images the look of a picture and other times it does not.
Sometines playing with exposure,contrast etc may give you better results.

Bob

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 02:12 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

Nice shot and I too prefer the first version. Peter

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 08:28 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 5

Jamison, US

The blotches were what I was referring to sorry, I will clean the sensor as soon as possible.

I must admit getting up before sun up in the right location gets some amazing results, you can sleep anytime right

Thanks

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 25-Aug-12 09:31 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Hi Michael,

Nice shot. I like the first image also. It can be difficult to get a nice exposure like that shooting a sunset. Often the meter will try to expose lighter and wash out all of that great color.

I agree that the spots are dust on the sensor.

I noticed you shot at f/29. Very small apertures will cause the dust spots to show in your images and also cause softness due to diffraction. You probably have shot this at f/16 and still had enough DoF.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 09:37 PM
#8. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 7

Jamison, US

Thanks Dave I shot a "few" at different settings and using 3 lenses

I am still away so not large screens to take a good look, only my MBP.

Also, fyi, its a sunrise wicked light transitions over the 30 mins pre and 15 mins post.

Love that place

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 28-Aug-12 04:55 PM
#9. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 28-Aug-12 05:15 PM by mudman2

Jamison, US

Ok here is another from the same morning. Smudges aside what could I have done better. I love this place and plan to go back and try more for the perfect shot. What lens would you have chosen ?

And another

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 02:26 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 9

Jefferson Hills, US

Great shots. I love sunsets/rises. I think the first shot is a little too dark - you lose that cool foreground silhouette. That said, I think the correction went a little too overboard. I think something in the middle would be best. The first image conveys the "mood" better. The second looks a little artificial.

Great composition, though. I also agree, f16 would have been more than enough DOF. Most lenses aren't designed to work well at f29.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 29-Aug-12 10:51 AM
#11. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 10

Jamison, US

On the first one, my aim was to capture as much of the sky as I could,because that's where it was all happening and changing very quickly to boot, unfortunately shooting directly into the sun dominated the exposure, I guess I could work the foreground up in post but somehow I like the purity of the direct image.

I did try a few different combinations bearing in mind your under severe time constraints due to the stupid earth's rotation haha. AP worked well but in some cases Program did better. Could be that it gave me more time to compose.

I was very surprised at the little 18-55 lens which I just bought as a lightweight street lens before the trip, I guess I hit its sweet spot.

The second one was all about my attempts to catch the rotating lighthouse light which was rotating 1 ...2...3.............1...2...3 etc, trying the get the release right was a ####.

Have not finished processing the batch yet, hoping for good things.

At the end of the day I think I am trying to please myself with shots in a place I love. I want the best I can do but my experience is severely limited in these hard situations.

Worth getting up for tho and having fun

dirtyjack Registered since 11th Aug 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 09:06 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Comments Requested"
In response to Reply # 11

Rautpwm, US

Dr. Jack L. Casner

One great thing about your photo is that shooting into the sun did not produce flare. Good technique.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20590 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.