Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20503
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?" Previous topic | Next topic
Oscar56 Registered since 12th Aug 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 08:53 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"

Okanagan, CA

I am moving from a D70S to D7000. I am already 1/3 of the way through Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D7000" and marking highlights as I go.

Anyone have some suggestions on how to learn/test the D7000? One obvious technique is to follow Darrell's book chapter by chapter with camera in-hand.

Other suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?
Bravozulu Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
Oscar56
20th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
winclk
21st Aug 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
km6xz Moderator
21st Aug 2012
pieterv10
21st Aug 2012
mdallie Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
Oscar56
23rd Aug 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
Oscar56
23rd Aug 2012
mdallie Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
23rd Aug 2012
DinoCardelli
26th Aug 2012
km6xz Moderator
27th Aug 2012
Oscar56
27th Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
27th Aug 2012
hattlyn Silver Member
29th Aug 2012

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 09:34 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Your question was hashed over here in another thread a month or two ago. I've got the book, as well as the camera. In my view alone — others differed — the book doesn't do as well teaching shooting as being aimed at Mastering.

It stalled me by reading it before the Nikon manual. I would advise starting to shoot in M Mode. Learn how to adjust Shutter/Aperture/ISO. And how to meter. With that as an objective turn to the Young book to learn what button to push. What dial to turn.

It will really slow you down if you start wandering through the "Menu Wilderness". Far too easy to get lost in those woods. So, turn the MODE DIAL to M, and start blasting away.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Oscar56 Registered since 12th Aug 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 10:58 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 1

Okanagan, CA

Thanks Bravozulu. I was looking for a previous thread as you mentioned. Is there a search tool for these forum?

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 20-Aug-12 11:16 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>Anyone have some suggestions on how to learn/test the D7000?

Your personal learning style may be different, but I find I need to spend as much time (if not more) in the field practicing as compared with reading a book or manual. So in short, go out and shoot, shoot, shoot, and increasingly, put yourself in tougher and more complex shooting situations.

Cheers,
Peter

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 20-Aug-12 11:27 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I moved from a D70s to the D7000 and didn't find much of a learning/test curve. If you were using modes other than Auto or P, I would believe you will find the going easy.
The biggest difference, for me, was the resolution and pixel numbers. If your technique is off the D7000 will let you know; especially with longer glass. Just shoot and jot down notes and then open them up on your software to compare. Great camera and congratulations on the move.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 11:58 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Oscar, look at some of the links I entered in response # 3 in this thread. The DigiTutor on the Nikon support website gives a movie showing what the camera can do and the major controls. No words, just video.

Search for this thread here - topic #58655

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007Tue 21-Aug-12 02:53 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 5

philadelphia, US

Congrats Oscar on your new camera. I love mine more each time I use it.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 21-Aug-12 04:28 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I agree with bravozulu: just go out and shoot. Don't be in a hurry to try all the new features, it's overwhelming. Get comfortable with the basics (M mode, single point AF-S) and start exploring when that stuff gets to be second nature.

The extra resolution over the D70 really requires you to pay attention to shutter speed when hand-holding: if you don't have a VR lens, you really need your shutter speed around double your focal length to avoid motion blur.

I'm also using the AEL button to focus now, but it's taken me a couple of years to get there. I don't say it's something to aspire to, it's just something that helps me because of the way I shoot.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 21-Aug-12 05:17 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Hello Oscar.
Congratulations on your new and excellent D7000.
Since you have been using a capable camera, for a while, learning the D7000 will be primarily learning the differences in features between the D70s and D7000.

For those starting from scratch or who are struggling with getting consistent results, I recommend going back to the fundamentals of photography that are common to any camera such as the relation between light, color and time. Once the nature of these factors are really well understood, all photography becomes less of a mystery.

If you find that you are not getting the resulted expected, getting a book such as "Understanding Exposure" by Bryon Peterson. He writes in a breezy enthusiastic style that really encouraging experimenting while covering the basics that are the basis of all photography. The settings of the D7000, which have more options will no longer seem mysterious when it becomes second nature how you intend to balance color,, light and time to accomplish your goal with any shot in any condition.

The D7000 is very flexible so it goes with flexibility that more user adjustments and user influence on final outcome if you wish. It also has some very advanced automation which can be an effective learning tool. If your manual settings are not giving the results you expected, put it into auto mode and view the camera's selected settings to see how it analyzed the scene.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

pieterv10 Registered since 09th Jan 2012Tue 21-Aug-12 09:40 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

For me it was a combination of just starting to use it (coming from a D70), and reading the manual in parallel.

Just reading the manual doesn't work for me, I have to do what it says, otherwise the next they I will have forgotten!

As you use it, things will crop up, and you can look up how to do that; a much more natural learning style than just reading manual or books.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Wed 22-Aug-12 12:30 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I was switching over from Canon when I got my D7000. My learning style might have been a bit contrarian, but I'll share it.

I started by going through the menus to set up the camera the way I wanted it to be set up. I set the obvious settings, and I made not of those that I wasn't so sure about so I could go back later and read up on them.

I then did some shooting in a few different modes and found out I really needed to study the focusing system. I then when back and read about and experimented with focusing, and also some of the less obvious settings.

Next I took my D7k and a tripod to a museum that had lower light. I took a list of things I wanted to test (e.g., all of the D-Lighting settings, for example). I shot at different ISOs, different noise reduction settings, etc. I then brought the camera home and studied the results.

Over the next few months I read Thom Hogan's book on the D7K, read a lot of forum postings and asked my questions. Eight months later when I headed off to Italy for 10 days, I was very ready!!

Enjoy. Learning this camera is half the fun!!!

Mike

Oscar56 Registered since 12th Aug 2012Thu 23-Aug-12 03:45 AM
#11. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 10

Okanagan, CA

Mike:

Thanks for your input, I like your approach.

What are your thoughts on Thom's book? Do you find the ToGo version something worthwhile to put in your camera bag?

Grant

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 01:25 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 11

Joanna, US

Hi Grant,

Not trying to steal Mike's thunder but I believe you'll find Thom's book very informative. It goes into great detail regarding the use of all the features of D7000 and gives a lot of technical aspects of digital cameras, slr, the history of the D7000, etc. Some of the information may not be relevant to the operation of the camera but may assist in understanding the world of DSLR.

The To Go guide is a condensed version and has recommendations for setting the various functions of the camera. It's about 8 1/2 x 6 x 1/2 in size so it would be easy to pack. It will cover everything that you might encounter and may have forgotten.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Oscar56 Registered since 12th Aug 2012Thu 23-Aug-12 08:42 PM
#16. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 12

Okanagan, CA

It will
>cover everything that you might encounter and may have
>forgotten.
>
>John

That could be most of everything.

Yes I think the 80/20 rule really does apply here.

I will probably order the full meal deal from Thom. I am an avid user of iPhone, iPad and Kobo. But I have found that for reference material I feel a lot more comfortable with the traditional paper product.

Thanks's for everyone's input. Now if I did not have a day job to get in the way of my photography. Oh wait...my day job helped pay for these toys...never mind.

Grant

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 23-Aug-12 01:48 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"

Novi, US

Grant,

I liked Thom's book a lot, but it isn't for everyone. The e-Book is 800 pages long. I personally like it because I understand much better when I understand how something works. I devoured the book but some of the DSLR history wasn't too relevant for me.

I haven't used the "to go" very much. It looks pretty good, but I usually do a lot advance prep and don't do much manual consultation in the field. When I do, I have the e-Book on my iPhone and iPad.

I really like having this as an e-Book where I can quickly search on a term.

Mike

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 02:18 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"

Port Charlotte, US

Here's another thought. You'll probably use 20% of the features 80% of the time. Yes, the old 80/20 rule, but it still applies.

Prioritize and make a list of what you want to learn based on your shooting style and focus on those areas first. Then, as you want to learn/use a new feature, study it before hand. For example, I normally don't do long exposure photos. If I plan to do a long exposure, I dig out the books and read those areas before I begin to shoot.

The idea is that you'll master the 20% through repetition and probably forget most of the other 80% in a few weeks. It is good to at least know what other features are available in the camera.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Thu 23-Aug-12 02:16 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Congratulations on your new D7000. I really like Darrell's books.

Rocky

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Sun 26-Aug-12 11:54 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 14

Plantation, US

Again, mileage varies by learning style...

but, I find that you should read a bit, then shoot, shoot, shoot.

It's like anything...I find, I'll read about "bracketing" then shoot a bunch of stuff with Bracketing..

Read about ISO...then shoot from 200 to 3200 seeing what it does...

I like to control my BOKEH, so, I shoot 90% of the time in Apeture mode with my 2.8's.

Learn what can be done with with the on-board flash....then shoot, shoot, shoot !!!

Play with your CLS strobe..then shoot, shoot, shoot...

Did I say...you need to shoot ???

My style has always been hands on..so, seeing the results, even slightly different, yield good learnings....and when you really screw up something...that's the best time to learn...learn to diagonse what went wrong...then it won't happen again...

I spend an inordinate amount of time doing the shoot, then eyes down shuffle..I look at almost every shoot when learning....seeing the slight differnces when I change apeture, ISO, or speed....

Enjoy the D7K...I've just moved to the D700, but, my girlfriend stills get's to hang out with me and my new mistress when we travel...it's a nice "threesome"

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 27-Aug-12 01:21 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 17

St Petersburg, RU

Good points about "shoot, shoot, shoot"
But I would like to modify that a little to "think/visualize, shoot, analyze"
By visualizing how you expect the image to appear when done, before shooting you have a reference point to compare with, and it slows the process down so any conclusions have time to sink in.

Make a conscious internal conversation or better, a note on a note past of exactly what the next shoot is suppose to look like, making the adjustments that would give the expected results in your current understanding of how subsystems work with the light and tone range, then taking some time to evaluate the shot to see what did and did not result as intended. That method of honing in on the optimum settings based in the idea of narrowing the gap between intent and results has some advantages over just taking lots of shots. It separates the lucky shots from the consistently good approximations of your intent. Soon, viewing a scene before metering or pointing a camera will tell you the tone range and any traits that need special attention. With practice, that initial internal analysis becomes instantaneous, you just "know". At that point, creativity by intent, overtakes creativity by luck and keeper and print-large rates greatly increase.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Oscar56 Registered since 12th Aug 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 01:40 PM
#19. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 17

Okanagan, CA

>
>but, I find that you should read a bit, then shoot, shoot,
>shoot.
>

I think this will be my starting technique. Work my way through the manual and Darell Young's book to understand the controls. Then as you say shoot, shoot, shoot.

Take those shots back to the computer for review then go back out to test some more.

As was stated earlier most of us use 20% of the options 80% of the time. I first need to determine which are my 20%.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 27-Aug-12 09:30 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Both Darrell's guide and the Thom Hogan guides are excellent.

I tend to be in the "just go out and shoot camp" - with a caveat. Download the settings spreadsheet in the top of this forum. Most of the settings are the default settings for the camera. But pay special attention to areas where there is a change from the default or an area where you are uncertain about the function and how it works.

I find the D7000 default settings are a bit too entry level oriented. It's as though they assumed that is you were more intermediate or advanced, you'd know how to set up your camera rather than rely on defaults.

That will probably narrow your study down to the 20% that is most pressing.

The go back and reread the sections in your guides on AF settings. AF can be confusing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

hattlyn Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Wed 29-Aug-12 04:23 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D7000 Has Arrived - Now What?"
In response to Reply # 0

Isle of Palms, US

As a new owner of a Nikon D7000 with lingering intimidation, the ' now what' I hear from all the experts I know personally or read online - just get out and start taking photographs. Fortunately with digital, less than stellar captures can be deleted. I have several D 7000 publications, all written in engineer speak, so I find them awkward to read.

Hope this is somewhat helpful and a long weekend ahead offers opportunity to practice.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20503 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.