Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20462
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gary Fong red hallway not working for me" Previous topic | Next topic
jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Sun 19-Aug-12 04:05 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Gary Fong red hallway not working for me"
Sun 19-Aug-12 12:25 PM by jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US

There has to be something I'm missing about using an existing picture for white balance. Case in point, making a red hallway with a blue filter. According to the instructions, you hold the blue filter over the lens and shoot. That gives a blue cast to the image.

Then use that shot to set the custom WB - which on the D7K seems to mean assigning the blue shot to WB memory; I used D1.

When I tap the WB button it shows D1 selected.

Now shoot with the blue gel on the SB600 flash in TTL. The frame should be red.

But it's still BLUE. What's up with that?

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= www.RockTheCapital.com
= www.facebook.com/jmesseder2
= www.twitter.com/john_messeder
= www.gplus.to/jmesseder2
= my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 19-Aug-12 08:01 PM
1984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Gary Fong red hallway not working for me"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Aug-12 04:18 AM by elec164

US

I could be wrong, but I think it goes to the difference between how Canon and Nikon do a custom white balance.

With Canon you take a shot of a white target, then select that image for doing a custom white balance. With Nikon, you just do the Pre-WB that takes a shot to use, but is not saved. That eliminates a need for a seperate step of selecting an image to use.

In other words, with Nikon you would just place the gel over the lens and do a Pre-WB. Then put the gel over the flash and it should do what you see on the video tutorial. Of course that assumes the flash is not strong enough to illuminate the hallway and just the subject that's the subject of the portrait.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Mon 20-Aug-12 05:18 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Gary Fong red hallway not working for me"
In response to Reply # 1

Gettysburg, US

That sort of makes sense. The D7k is the first camera I've had with WB memory locations to store images to be used for preset White Balance.I have the instructions but even following the book; i.e. select an image shot through the blue gel as the new WB, rather than measure off a white card.

But when I shoot the new pic with the gel on the flash, I get a really crisp - blue cast - picture. But,you may have given me another hint. I wonder whether the flash, shooting TTL, overpowered the actual shot.

I will give it another try in the daylight-lit indoors (it's now 0115 and my immediately available models are abed).

Gettysburg, PA, USA
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 20-Aug-12 02:34 PM
1984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Gary Fong red hallway not working for me"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 20-Aug-12 02:41 PM by elec164

US

>But when I shoot the new pic with the gel on the flash, I get
>a really crisp - blue cast - picture. But,you may have given
>me another hint. I wonder whether the flash, shooting TTL,
>overpowered the actual shot.

If set up properly the flash illuminated areas should be properly balanced.

After looking through the Canon 5D MkII manual it certainly appears to be a fundamental difference in the way the custom WB is handled. And Gary Fong is using a Canon. With Canon you take a shot of a white target and the present selection of WB does not matter. You then go into the custom WB menu and import the data from that shot into the algorithm for it to correct. You then set the WB to custom and get the affect. Nikon instead allows you to directly take a shot and it stores that data by default in the D0 location. So there's no need to import an image to one of the other storage areas. In fact doing so has an entirely different affect than doing so with the Canon. That's why you are getting the blue cast instead of red.

The trick is to make the camera think the illuminate has a strong blue component by holding the gel over the lens when doing the Pre-WB reading. That causes the algorithm to compensate by adjusting the tone curve so when you now take the gel away, the scene takes on the red hue.

By placing the gel over the flash, you are now providing the illuminate that the cameras custom WB is balanced for, so anything illuminated by it will look natural, but anything still illuminated by ambient light will apear red.

I don't have the blue gel as Gary Fong did, but had my Cibachrome Printing filters and stacked three .50C filters and experimented with that. My red cast wasn't as strong, but it did create the affect.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Tue 21-Aug-12 12:06 AM
#4. "RE: Gary Fong red hallway not working for me"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 21-Aug-12 06:03 AM by jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US

It works!

D0 does indeed work, and so does D1. The former is OK for an immediate shot - get the WB, move the filter to the flash and take the shot. Or use D1-D4 for WB from previous shots, assuming the lighting matches. B

But D0 is good only for one shot, since it always stores the info from the most recent shot. But that info would change as soon as you place the gel on the flash and make the next shot, I think. Hence the need to store the desired frame in D1-D4,

CThe problem i was having was being in the living room, with subject and background too close together. The trick is have only enough blue-filtered flash to light the subject, not the background. In my situation, they were too close together and I had the flash TTL-ing, making it strong enough to light the subject and the background, making them both adjusted for the blue filter.

I turned the flash down and it worked. Which is another way of saying what Pete said.

So thanks for the help figuring this out.

Gettysburg, PA, USA
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20462 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.