Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2031
View in linear mode

Subject: "Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?" Previous topic | Next topic
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberThu 18-Nov-10 03:49 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
Thu 18-Nov-10 03:51 PM by csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US

Ok, tonight is the debut of my D7000 and it will be up against some heavy odds as I will be shooting youth basketball in an unknown indoor gym.

Everything will come into play - ISO, Shutter Speed, White Balance - all at once.

Here are few shots form my D700 form a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/outdoorstudios

Watch this Flickr account as I will be posting a couple JPEGs directly from my iPad while at the game. There are 4 games and they start around 4:30 Mountain Time. Watch the descriptions as I will be posting both D700 & D7000 images for comparison.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?
csgaraglino Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
Robman3
19th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
19th Nov 2010
19th Nov 2010
19th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
19th Nov 2010
yelcab
20th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Nov 2010
MikeW2ck Silver Member
21st Nov 2010

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberThu 18-Nov-10 11:42 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I have started posting images.
Totally unprocessed, right from the camera to Flickr via my iPad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outdoorstudios

Right out the gate, the biggest difference is the autofocus system.
The D700 smokes the D7k, as expected.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 19-Nov-10 02:39 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 1

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks Chris, hows your video going?

The AF versus the D3S, etc sure will be slightly slower but what's the end result for keepers?

Sounds like you are developing the sweet spot then.

Lot's to look forward to.

Thanks,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 19-Nov-10 11:03 AM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

Chris

Thanks for the post. Images look pretty good. It makes sense the AF system is slower than the D700. Did you need to try any high ISO shots? Images look pretty good at 1/250 and ISO 800-1000.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberFri 19-Nov-10 04:07 PM
#4. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

I know this is not a formal review by any means – not really meant to be; but I hope that some of you will read this post, look at some of the results I posted on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/outdoorstudios) and have a better chance at successful shooting with your D7000. Feel free to ask any questions, anything I can do to help I will.

Jumping into a low lit gym with a brand new body and expecting it to perform well is asking a lot and even more so from a consumer level system; however, I was very pleased with "Day One" and the D7000 exceed my expectations.

I am not a fan of high ISO images, I just don't like the look they produce so I try to stay form them as much as possible. But, I am glad I have equipment that will get me the shot, should I need it – and sometimes I do.

For this shoot I opted for the f/1.8 lens and shot at f/1.8 most of the night. I feel trading VERY shallow DoF for more light is worth it. To me, action images a bit on the soft side are much more acceptable to people than dark flat images. And for ISO in situations like this I LOVE the Auto-ISO features that Nikon has. Out of the box, they suck and therefore most people don’t give them a second chance. But when set properly – they perform like a dream; you can set it and forget it.

My Auto-ISO Settings:
Base ISO: 100
Shooting Menu
- ISO sensitivity settings
- ISO sensitivity: ON
- Maximum ISO: 800
- Minimum Shutter: 1/250

Some of the other settings I used throughout the light were: (not listed in any specific order)

I have the Autofocus “decoupled” (f5:) from the shutter and have the AE-L/AF-L button set to do ALL my Autofocusing

Autofocus Priority set to AF-C (Switch on the side) and AF-C (a1:) set to Release

Focus Points (side switch) were set to 9 point dynamic area AF

Focus Tracking with Lock-On (a3:) I started at 3-Normal and went to 2 a shorter time interval and felt that it actually tracked a bit better. With all the commotion going on, and AF system is going to get confused, but this made a noticeable difference.

Active D-Lighting set to High

I used Center-weighted metering (gives the processor a bit less to think about), but I have changed the size from 8mm to 10mm (b4:)

I shot RAW 14-bit lossless and card 1 and JPEG Fine, size small optimized for quality on card 2 – this seemed to work well and I never had to wait on the buffer, even at 6fps

I started my Picture Control Setting at Landscape and was getting to much saturation so I switched to Standard; however, I did bump the Sharpening by one and the contrast by two to get a better JPEG for the iPad uploads.

White Balance kicked my butt this night – the conditions were horrible. First, I am not exactly sure what king of lights these were or what to set for better color, but it seemed as though the color was actually changing from frame to frame, even with a fixed WB set? The color to the eye was very pink, also the walls and the ceiling were painted this putrid cream color, throwing a very unflattering color cast throughout the whole gym? While the Auto WB did a fairly good job with this, there were times it totally fell apart, more times than not. So to try to compensate for this I got the bright idea to set a custom WB using a white card. Ahh, but alas, my WB cards were in my video bag at home on my shelf – bummer… I grabbed one of the kids with a whiteish jersey and shot a custom WB off the jersey, and this worked pretty good for most of the shots, but the changing color of the lights still affected it a lot.

I thought I would try a flash and see if adding some extra predictable light/color into the mix would work – well, not so much. I changed the Flash Sync Speed (e1:) to 1/320FP to get a faster shutter speed in hopes of knocking down a bit of the ambient light, and set the SB900 EV to -1.3 and I was getting great light and low ISO’s but the color was just too different to make good images. I did not have time to try any gels, but that would have been next on my list.

Not sure what’s on the list for this weekend out here on the ranch, but I am going to try and get out for some day-time shooting.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberFri 19-Nov-10 04:09 PM
#5. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

One more thing, I also updated the Flickr images with EXIF data.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 19-Nov-10 06:10 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

Chris

Thanks for the detailed post - it's very helpful.

I have a D7000 scheduled for delivery today - a surprise for my wife to replace her D300. We will have a week of vacation to give it a good workout with bird photography, landscape, low light, and probably video of our overly active German shepherd. I'll probably try it with some of my lenses as well.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Sat 20-Nov-10 05:35 AM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 6

San carlos, US

something about the frequency of those lights actually oscillate back and forth. So, their colors change dynamically. Really hard to do WB on those lights at high shutter speed.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 20-Nov-10 07:12 PM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

I'm not sure how you are getting away with only 1/250 but the images look great!

I guess I'd be interested in seeing 1/500 and your max Auto-ISO set to 1600 rather than 800 but I probably have a higher noise tolerance.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

MikeW2ck Silver Member Charter MemberSun 21-Nov-10 07:27 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Indoor Basketball + D7000 can it hold its own?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Chris,

That gym to me looks very well lit. Nice shots.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2031 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.