Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20297
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4" Previous topic | Next topic
abw1931 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2003Thu 09-Aug-12 05:34 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"

Albany, US

abw_retired
I recently purchased a D7000 and find that the Raw files won't open in my CS4 software. Says it doesn't recognize this type of file. Can anyone refer me to the cause or a work around? My old D70 raw files opened up fine. - abw1931

abw_retired

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4
GCDawn
09th Aug 2012
JosephK Silver Member
09th Aug 2012
abw1931 Silver Member
14th Aug 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
09th Aug 2012
abw1931 Silver Member
14th Aug 2012
RtRoth33
23rd Aug 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
jmesseder2 Silver Member
26th Aug 2012

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Thu 09-Aug-12 05:48 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

I had the same problem and to my knowledge there is no workaround. I had Lightroom 3 so I was able to get camera raw 6.6 for that, then save as DNG which CS4 could then open.
Hopefully somebody else has figured out another way!
Dawn.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 09-Aug-12 07:12 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The different cameras have different raw file formats. The shared file extension NEF is meaningless.

In your case, the old software does not know what to do with the newer file format. You need a newer version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), probably version 6.3 or newer. Unfortunately ACR 6.3 requires Photoshop CS5 or newer if I am reading Adobe's site correctly.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

abw1931 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2003Tue 14-Aug-12 02:27 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 2

Albany, US

abw_retired thanks a lot for your information which is what I learned from others also. I use NX2 for the most part as well and rather than upgrade to CS6 at this point I will go the tiff intermediary route when I have to. The main reason I use the CS4 software to begin with is that I really like the TopazLabs plug-ins for it, especially the B & W Effects plug-in. Again thanks for replying. -
abw1931

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 09-Aug-12 05:48 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

The workaround would be to upgrade to CS6 so you can run a newer Camera Raw, or use Adobe's DNG converter and convert to DNG for CS4, or use Nikon's converter (ViewNX2) and convert to TIFF for CS4.

Unfortunately the raw file format is the one hook which gets us into otherwise unnecessary software upgrade cycles. Personally I use ViewNX2 and use 16-bit TIFF as an intermediary format, which I delete after opening in Photoshop and converting to .psd or .psb

I'm running CS5 so the NX2 step isn't really necessary for me, but for most images I prefer the result I get from Nikon's converter, which is the bigger issue for me.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

abw1931 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2003Tue 14-Aug-12 02:31 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 3

Albany, US

abw_retired Thanks much. See my reply on the previous answer to my post. I thought I was going bonkers for a while but really don't want to upgrade to CS6 because like you I use NX2 mostly and want the CS4 primarily for TopazLabs plug-ins. - abw1931

RtRoth33 Registered since 08th Jan 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 02:06 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 5

Cheshire, US

I use the Adobe .DNG converter and haven't had any problems.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 24-Aug-12 02:05 PM
744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

This was a hot topic when the D7000 first arrived. The sad fact is that you need Camera RAW 6.3 (I believe) for D7000 NEF files. That version of Camera RAW does not work with Photoshop versions earlier than CS5. Adobe will not go back and write a driver to make it compatible.

To process D7000 RAW files in Adobe Photoshop you need at least CS5 and RAW 6.3.

The only other work around is to use ViewNX2 and export the NEF file as a 16-bit TIFF, which I believe can be imported into CS4.

Give that a try.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Sun 26-Aug-12 02:19 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Raw file incompatability with CS4"
In response to Reply # 7

Gettysburg, US

One other workaround. I use Light room almost exclusively and ran into this only recently. Sure enough, CS3 didn't work. But LR4 will export D7K nef to dng, and I was set.

I was, however, darned unhappy that Nikon and Adobe had created need for software upgrade just because I had a new camera.

Add to that Adobe starting a new upgrade path. I'm not certain sitting here whether it applies to CS only but it's an announced pattern: if you upgrade each new version, you get the reduced price for each - but if you skip a level, you'll have to pay full price for the latest version as the cost of admission back into the upgrade pricing structure.

That means if I upgrade now from CS3 to CS5, I can have the upgrade price, but if I don't take advantage of the amnesty, CS6, if that is when I decide to upgrade, will be full price.

For my purposes, I think I'll stay with Lightroom. Maybe even buy into the forced upgrades. I keep learning thing it'll do that amaze me. But I'm probably done upgrading CS.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20297 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.