Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2022
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ordered a D7000... Here's why..." Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 18-Nov-10 12:30 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."

US

Ordered mine yesterday. You all know why, since you've got one.

I was all along thinking I'd be going from a D200 to a D400. But with all that the D7000 has (and video doesn't really factor into this for me), it's hard to see what a D400 will have that I'll actually use.

The build quality/sealing of the D7000 is something that I want, the 16mp sensor, great high ISO I can use, great AF... Would the D400 have a huge leg up in these areas? I doubt it. Perhaps, but the D7000 seems so capable as it is, why do I want to spend an extra $500-$700 for a really incremental performance increase?

I sort of wonder if Nikon is planning not to release a D400 at all... Assuming they do, it's going to be one unbelievably great machine.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why...
Kale49 Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
18th Nov 2010
Kale49 Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
18th Nov 2010
Chris Ross Leong
18th Nov 2010
Robman3
19th Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
19th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
19th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
19th Nov 2010
waxart
22nd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2010
waxart
22nd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2010
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2010
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
23rd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2010
ashaniya
24th Nov 2010
bonadi
24th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
24th Nov 2010
glennaa11 Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
Kale49 Silver Member
24th Nov 2010
waxart
30th Nov 2010

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Nov-10 01:17 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 0

Espoo, FI

So it is...

There is always a new model coming behind the corner. And it´s up to everyone to decide, when there is "the moment" to upgrade. I did two weeks ago my decision and moved from D80 to D7000. I had an alternative - D300s, which really would have been a great choice to my needs.

D7000 is my third Nikon DSRL body. D50 and D80 I bought when their life cycle as a product were passed the highest point. Now I got one which was a brand new in the market. We´ll see, if I did a right choice. Today I have a feeling that so it is!

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 18-Nov-10 01:33 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Kale
We are neighbors it seems, just a train or ferry trip apart. Which store did you find it in, and what is the price in Espoo or Helsinki? I was planning an overnight ferry trip to Helsinki soon, it would be an added treat to check it out and possibly get one. I know they are less in the US but it looks like I might not get back to California to visit until March. Occasionally I take a shopper special bus to the border towns for shopping or visit friends in Lappeenranta.
I have found no dealers in St Petersburg to admit or deny that they have ordered them but one, the largest chain has a salesman who claims they are not going to carry Nikon anymore. Maybe he was just trying to steer me to a model they had in stock. They seem to have a whole shelf of D300s, D90 and a D700, all at discounts, the first time on sale.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Nov-10 01:50 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 2

Espoo, FI

Hi Stan,

Yes, we are neighbours. By the way, I proved that m/s Princess Maria from Helsinki to St. Petersburg and bacj in August. It was a good experience.

Here you can find a link to my photo shop and D7000.

http://www.rajalacamera.fi/PublishedService?file=page&pageID=9&itemcode=39VBA290E

Today they say that Nikon D7000 is available in 1-2 weeks, not directly from the shelf which means that it is selling well. The price is 1 150 €.

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 18-Nov-10 02:33 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 19-Nov-10 06:27 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Thanks Kale
It seems there is a $375 price difference from Finland versus the US which is less than I was assuming and probably $700 difference between the US and a Ruble price if any stores actually get one.
This is sounding more interesting by the day.
Let me know the next time you head this way, we are an agent for St Peterline and provide tours for passengers. I would be happy to show you around to less touristy areas that are good photo opportunities. We mostly work with the large international cruise lines so the ferry is a new venture for us as well as the city. There is another larger ferry service planning to create a route that includes St Petersburg so the visa free plan is really catching on.
Have fun with the new toy, by all accounts it is a potential problem.....with it we have no excuses for not getting great images in all sorts of conditions;>)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Thu 18-Nov-10 05:32 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 4

Sherman Oaks, US

Hi all!
Just received my D7k as an upgrade to my D90.
No hot pixels, never looked back.
Won't straight swap over to a 60D, 7D or even 5Dii (paying extra) for the "better" video, even though I am a film maker more than a stills shooter these days.
The thing is, the Canon video is a well known entity by now. They've been out for three or four years at least and only today is Hollywood (where I am) catching on.
So I'd expect another year or two before people "discover" that the D7000's video is, if not "better" than the Canon's, at least not as far behind it as the D90's video is.
For me, I'm very happy with the D7000 video. I'll be even happier once I've completely explored all the settings and can start to get some really great images out of it...

Yes, it was a toss-up. Most of my associates and friends all use Canons, because up until, well, this month, that was the only game in town.

But no longer...

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 19-Nov-10 02:59 AM
1761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 19-Nov-10 05:39 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

My video technique is getting better as I traverse the settings, controls etc.

It will be the tool of record at an awards event next week in Denmark, this and Mr. D3S for stills without flash.

For audio, here is what I'm doing, gamble perhaps but I know the Samson and Zoom stuff rocks.

The on board audio catches every whirring and click of course so I hit up Samy's for a Zoom H4N (24/96)audio capture for the D7K to the board mix, so it's a quality rig for sure.

On tripod (use a shock mount) tethered away a foot or so, Zoom also allows a through connection to the camera (mic/line out)so the BWAV files are time stamped and if they are off even a little, it's cake to sync in post.

This ensures a clean non mechanical disrupted backup, captive in the camera.(4 tracks, 48V phantom versus Sony and Tascam with only two tracks)

For interview I got to Zzounds for the latest Airline Samson head set wireless (transmitter is a no WIRE, on the ear cushion) micro USB powered battery/receiver true diversity, something I suggested to Da-Cappo two years ago (yawn then Aussie boys).

This rig would define wedding bride, groom and clergy with out body packs, and no off axis drop outs on the lavs.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2045&brandID=1

So hey from the other end of Topanaga Canyon Road, this is FUN!

Rob

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 19-Nov-10 03:20 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 6

Jackson, US

Well, to be honest, I think you missed a HUGE opportunity when you passed on upgrading your D200 body to a D300 or D300s during the past two years. There were plenty of improvements in just that step. If you waited this long, then D7000 makes sense now.

I am anxiously waiting for the upgraded D400(?) body. If they can pack the new Wow features from the D7000 onto a D300, it will be a wonderful body.

Good luck,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 19-Nov-10 11:13 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

>I am anxiously waiting for the upgraded D400(?) body. If they
>can pack the new Wow features from the D7000 onto a D300, it
>will be a wonderful body.
>
>Good luck,
>M. Jackson

I had all along assumed a move to the D400. But now holding/using the D7000, it feels at least 95% as solid as the D200/300's. To me, it made sense to wait until the 2nd generation after the D200. Much as I'd like to "upgrade" with each new release, I couldn't justify it. My D200 was/is a great camera, and served my approach to picture taking perfectly.

The D7000 will too.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 19-Nov-10 07:42 PM
#8. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

A bit of change of plans Kale, my GF and I decided tonight to use the special fall fares on Princess Maria to come to Helsinki Sunday evening, and spend Monday shopping and walking around. The return sailing arrives back in St Petersburg Tuesday morning. The special is 120 Euro for the 2 bed cabin. Maybe we can get to see and hold a D7000 sooner than I thought. Just might have enough left over from shopping to get one.
Thanks for the heads up.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 22-Nov-10 04:39 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 8

Vallejo, US

Here's a worrying piece of news. I just phoned Adorama to place an order for my D7000. The guy told me there was another delay due to a manufacturer recall. I asked why it was being recalled and he could only tell me there's some fault in the camera. Anyone else know anything about this?

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 22-Nov-10 05:21 PM
#11. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 22-Nov-10 05:27 PM by billD80

US

>Here's a worrying piece of news. I just phoned Adorama to
>place an order for my D7000. The guy told me there was another
>delay due to a manufacturer recall. I asked why it was being
>recalled and he could only tell me there's some fault in the
>camera. Anyone else know anything about this?

That's funny. I placed, and cancelled my order with Adorama, because a local retailer, Milford Camera, had just received a shipment on 11/18...

The camera is wonderful. It blows the doors off a lot of much more expesnive gear I've personally tried...

Sorry, but I doubt Adorama told you this... Why?

Because (1) "another" implies there have been delays before, when there haven't been. What there has been is the release of a very, very well made, highly regarded, popular camera.

And (2), it's awfully difficult to recall cameras that haven't shipped yet. The manufacturer would just hold up shipping.

Still, if there's been a recall, I can't wait to have Nikon "fix" the one I have. It'll be just unbelievable then.

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 22-Nov-10 05:42 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 11

Vallejo, US

>
>Sorry, but I doubt Adorama told you this... Why?
>
>Because (1) "another" implies there have been delays
>before, when there haven't been. What there has been is the
>release of a very, very well made, highly regarded, popular
>camera.
>
>And (2), it's awfully difficult to recall cameras that haven't
>shipped yet. The manufacturer would just hold up shipping.
>
>Still, if there's been a recall, I can't wait to have Nikon
>"fix" the one I have. It'll be just unbelievable
>then.

I am new to to this forum and I am offended that you doubt Adorama told me this. Why on earth would I make this up? I was extremely disappointed. I am longing to take possession of my D7000. And, yes, there has already been a delay of several weeks on Adorama while they are waiting for the camera to come in. I spoke to Nikon reps at Photo Expo West last weekend and was told that they are as frustrated as we are that there are just not enough D7000s to go round. They were expecting a whole new batch to be shipped to retailers in mid-December. This is what I was told, not something I made up.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 22-Nov-10 06:14 PM
#13. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 12

US

>I am new to to this forum and I am offended that you doubt
>Adorama told me this.

Yes, you are new to this forum, and I've worked happily with Adorama for 30 years. When they could not ship me a D7000, they mentioned nothing about a recall. They simply hadn't gotten a new batch in.

If there has been a Nikon recall on the D7000, then I totally apologize. Don't get too upset about being offended.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 23-Nov-10 01:33 AM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 13
Tue 23-Nov-10 02:06 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Bill,

You have no way of knowing what waxart was told on the phone.

Maybe the phone operator at Adorama was making an uninformed speculation about the reason for the poor availability of the camera. Adorama is know as an honest shop but it is possible that one of their employees has passed misinformation.

Please avoid accusing other members of lying when they may just be passing on the info that they have been told.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 23-Nov-10 11:51 AM
#16. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 14

US

>Please avoid accusing other members of lying when they may
>just be passing on the info that they have been told.

Please be accurate.

I didn't accuse anyone of lying. Do I doubt Adorama told someone there'd been a Nikon recall? Sure do. I expressed that doubt as such in the post.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 23-Nov-10 03:22 PM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 16

Lowden, US

“Please be accurate.”

Okay, maybe you did not directly accuse him of lying but your post was disrespectful as you were clearly implying that he was lying.

So to be more accurate.

Please do not imply that someone has lied when you have no why of know what they were told by a third party.

Now let’s get this thread back on track and talk about the D7000.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 23-Nov-10 05:08 PM
#19. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 18

US

>So to be more accurate.
>
>Please do not imply that someone has lied when you have no why
>of know what they were told by a third party.
>
>Now let’s get this thread back on track and talk about the
>D7000.
>

I completely apologize for any aformentioned implication on my part.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 23-Nov-10 09:22 AM
#15. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 23-Nov-10 04:36 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

In a situation such as this it is more logical to assume the simplest explanation, that being that the employee did not know what to say and just guessed as to why they were not getting stock.

I was in a camera store in Finland yesterday and was told they got 30 but were used to cover reserved orders and that I might not see an in-the-flesh D7000 for a month since they have a long list to fill orders for.
The stores are obviously unhappy about the slow pace of camera shipments and the same employee at Adorama probably fielded 15 calls that morning about D7000 availability. Calling another time, getting a different salesperson would probably yield a different explanation.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 23-Nov-10 12:02 PM
#17. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 15

US

>The stores are obviously unhappy about the slow pace of camera
>shipments and the same employee at Adorama probably fielded 15
>calls that morning about D7000 availability.

I suspect you're more than right... Both the people at Adorama (where I cancelled the order) and the place where I later bought one, said they're selling as soon as they come in, without the chance to even put one on display. All of the salespeople I talked with actually seemed excited by the fact that the D7000 has been so instantly successful. Mine was gotten off a pallet that hadn't even been unpacked.

ashaniya Registered since 16th Nov 2010Wed 24-Nov-10 01:41 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 17

CN

Does any one buy it online? How to not get ripped off on the net?

bonadi Registered since 10th Nov 2010Wed 24-Nov-10 02:22 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 20

CN

>Does any one buy it online? How to not get ripped off on the
>net?

No. I like shopping on net but do not dare to buy much pricy things. It’s dangerous. I choose the shops that with good reputation for some accessories for my gear, like SD cards, shuttle release. Last week bought a $108 Easytagger GPS on net by paypal. After only 3 days, receive the package and it works fine. I find paypal quite convenient and could reduce the risk. Take care with your inline shopping.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 24-Nov-10 11:33 AM
#22. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 20

US

>Does any one buy it online? How to not get ripped off on the
>net?

I've bought 98% of my photo gear off the net. MOST of the online dealers in the US are great (but if you're not sure, check resellerratings.com, or ask around).

If there's a online price that's WAY below the Adorama's, B&H's, etc. then be suspicious...

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 30-Nov-10 12:57 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 22

Arlington, US

I ordered mine from Adorama on 11/25 along with an SB-700 which also isn't available. I figured I might as well get in line now and maybe I will get it in a couple of months. I don't have a huge pressing need to get it right this minute.

I have bought all sorts of photo equipment online over the years without issue. Mainly I shop at B&H but have also bought from Adorama and others as well. I also like to shop at my local shop too because there are a small local chain with excellent service. But they have as long a line of pre-orders as everyone else does. And the tax on this big ticket item would be sizable so I decided to go online.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 24-Nov-10 12:14 PM
#23. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 8

Espoo, FI

Sorry Stan,

I missed your message November 19. It would have been nice to meet with you. The sad thing was, of course, that you didn´t get one.

Hope that the visit to Helsinki including the journey by m/s Princess Maria was nice. I can tell to you that just now we have a heavy snow storm here. Better to day than during your sea journe

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 30-Nov-10 04:43 PM
#25. "RE: Ordered a D7000... Here's why..."
In response to Reply # 23

Vallejo, US

I trawled the internet for actual stores that sold the D7000 and was lucky enough to find a Best Buy just 8 miles from my home. I bought the only one they had just in time for Thanksgiving. Since then I've had a dreadful cold and cough, so I'm confined to trying it out indoors for my stock photography. It is absolutely fabulous. I've just shipped my used D80 kit off to Adorama in exchange for a wide-angle lens. They have a really excellent trade system - shipping is at their expense, too.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2022 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.