Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20171
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposure Lock/Spot Metering" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 02-Aug-12 04:17 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposure Lock/Spot Metering"

Los Angeles, US

Two questions:

Now that I've dedicated my AE-L button to Back Focus, is my only option for accomplishing Exposure Lock depressing the Shutter Button half-way?

I sure wish there were 2 Fn buttons on the camera. That would be a natural if I didn't have Fn assigned to Spot Meter. It seems to me that Spot Meter can only be assigned through the Custom Menu. Hitting the Metering Button and spinning the Rear Command Wheel only cycles through various degrees of area metering. But not true Spot Meter.

Is my understanding of that correct?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Thu 02-Aug-12 05:43 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposure Lock/Spot Metering"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Actually, hitting the metering button and spinning the command dial cycles the camera through all metering modes - matrix, center weighted, and spot metering, so you don't have to assign the FN button to spot, though that may be handy if if you frequently switch to spot metering and back.

Good news - you can use the Preview Button on the bottom right of the lens mount area as another FN button and program it with the same options that are available to the FN button. So you do have two FN buttons.

Visit my gallery.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 02-Aug-12 07:03 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposure Lock/Spot Metering"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Right. I guess I can live without Preview for a short time. My current thinking is that I should simply go ahead and assign Spot Meter to the Fn button in only one of my saved user modes.

I think it would mostly come in hand for User 1, where I've stored Menus/Settings useful for family and travel. U2 and Saved Settings are for portraits and product Macro shots where a tripod is in use and there's ample time to fiddle and adjust. Thanks.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20171 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.