Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20073
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 29-Jul-12 02:18 AM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"

Los Angeles, US

Last night I was reviewing settings on my D7000 indoors. On a tripod. In S mode and A mode the shutter wouldn't fire. I took the tripod and camera to a brighter room and the shutter operated ok.

This morning I repeated some of my testing outside. Looking at a multi-colored flower bed, I varied the settings for this menu: Shooting>Image Quality. I toggled the setting to Natural, Vivid, Landscape etc.

The camera was in S mode. A few times the shutter would not release. I played with the F stop and/or ISO and then it fired. My question is this: Does the camera prevent shutter release when the scene is underexposed? In the same way that it won't release while out of focus?

Where is the menu setting for this feature?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily
blw Moderator
29th Jul 2012
JosephK Silver Member
29th Jul 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
30th Jul 2012
blw Moderator
30th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Jul 2012
blw Moderator
30th Jul 2012
Wolphin Silver Member
14th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
14th Aug 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
15th Aug 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 29-Jul-12 08:18 AM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Probably you are running into the Focus Priority setting, which won't allow the shutter to fly unless the AF system has arrived at lock-on. But if it's dark, it may not be able to lock on. You can work around this by switching to manual focus, which disables Focus Priority. Or you can go into the menus and switch from Focus Priority to Release Priority. (Sorry, I don't know where in the menus it is.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 29-Jul-12 03:34 PM
3701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Brian's note about the AF system is a good place to start.

The auto-exposure system usually stops at 30 seconds. You can test your camera by putting it in manual focus mode and see if it will still take an underexposed picture. I did a quick test with my D70S (because it was handy). In aperture-priority mode it would still take the picture even though the system said "lo" for the shutter speed. The EXIF data recorded the shutter speed as 30 seconds which left it underexposed.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 30-Jul-12 12:13 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

I believe that Brian is probably correct in your situation.

It is possible that what I do is all wrong, but it seems to work for me. f5 Assigns the AE-L/AF-L button. I assign mine to AE/AF Lock (The default). When I am in the situation that you describe, and what I see in the viewfinder looks to be in focus, I:

Hold in the AE-L/AF-L button while pressing the Shutter Release button.

Like I said, it seems to work for me.

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 30-Jul-12 11:01 AM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

All of the DSLRs will release the shutter no matter what your exposure is. There's no setting for this, it's always like this.

Verify that you're in focus by looking at the black dot focus indicator in the lower left corner of the viewfinder. If it's not showing a dot, you're not in focus, and it will not release if you're in focus priority.

_____

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 30-Jul-12 03:49 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Thanks for all the suggestions. They prompted me to read carefully the chapter on AF in Darrell Young's "Mastering D7000" book.

It looks like I had the AF control switch on the left side of the lens mount set to "M". Duhhhh!

There sure a lot of buttons and knobs on this camera!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 30-Jul-12 09:14 PM
#6. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

If you're in manual focus mode, it should not have any problem releasing the shutter regardless of in focus or not.

_____

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Tue 14-Aug-12 06:08 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Yes, there is an option in the menus to prevent shutter release when it thinks it is out of focus and in Auto-Focus mode (also locks if there is no card in either slot. I don't remember where that is, as I prefer it on, and prevent many out-of focus shots.

If I'm in low light and want to override it, I use a finger to flick to manual focus to allow me to take the shot after confirming the focus.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 14-Aug-12 10:32 PM
#8. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

Re-reading the manual and then Darrell Young's "Mastering the D7000" took most of yesterday. Confused at the outset, numb at the finish. But after a night's sleep I think my best grasp of Nikon's strategy of focus is to approach it from the hardware.

After reading, I spent 20 minutes pushing the AF button on the left side of the lens mount, while spinning the SubCommand Wheel and Main Command Wheel. Doing so gave me a glimpse of what the Nikon engineers were striving for.

The two Custom Menu items (a1-a3) govern how the camera reacts to a focus instruction, and are, in a way, refinements.

My problem all along is due to the fact that I ignored focus controls, especially the AF button, and got along on luck and a prayer. Without really understanding the possibilities.

Feeling really inadequate in this department, I thought it best to give the topic of Metering a thorough study. Wheh! This camera sure provides the owner with deep topics.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 15-Aug-12 12:33 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why Is Shutter Disabled Temporarily"
In response to Reply # 8

Joanna, US

The manuals are amazing and full of helpful information

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20073 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.