Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20051
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rear screen magnification" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 27-Jul-12 07:10 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rear screen magnification"

Ottawa, CA

The manual, talking about playback zoom feature of the quality button on the back of the camera, refers to zooming in up to 30x.

1. I am shooting raw - and what I would like to know is how do I know when its a 100% zoom? 30x seems a bit more than 100% zoom (1:1).

2. Is 100% enough to ensure that the picture will be sharp say 8X10.

Thanks

Victor

My Nikonians Gallery!

You can also visit my website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 28-Jul-12 03:01 AM
11058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rear screen magnification"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Victor,

I don’t have a definitive answer but I did find this discussion that may help.

On page 173 of the manual they mention 31x (Large Image), 23x (medium Image) and 15x (Small Image.) I seem to remember discussions that came to the conclusion that the medium size was a 100% (one image pixel represented by one screen pixel) on the LCD.

I do think that 100% is plenty enough to judge your focus during a shoot. Remember that anytime your process an image for printing, especially if you resize the image, you should apply sharpening.

In fact the image you are reviewing on screen is a JEPG image created from your RAW data that has all of the picture controls applied, including sharpening. So if you are using non-Nikon software the image may not look as sharp on your computer until you apply capture sharpening. If you use Nikon software then the picture will look as it did on the LCD.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 28-Jul-12 03:01 AM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rear screen magnification"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As to question #1,some time ago there was a decent discussion about 100% rear screen view you may wish to checkout.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 28-Jul-12 03:11 AM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rear screen magnification"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 28-Jul-12 08:31 AM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

Thanks. I'm shooting Raw so it should be easier to figure out.

Victor

My Nikonians Gallery!

You can also visit my website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20051 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.