Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2005
View in linear mode

Subject: "DAM Software D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberWed 17-Nov-10 11:44 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DAM Software D7000"

Colorado Springs, US

I know LightRoom and now Nikon NX2 reads the new NEFs, but I was pleasantly suppressed to see that PhotoMechanic also read the NEFs.

http://www.outdoorstudios.net/pm_channel

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DAM Software D7000
dhmiller Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
ottawaman
18th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
18th Nov 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
bradbort Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Nov 2010
bradbort Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
danpass
07th Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Dec 2010
bradbort Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
bradbort Silver Member
07th Dec 2010

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 18-Nov-10 02:19 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Do you mean the LR beta? Because my version (3.2) doesn;t yet read them and there is no update available directly thru the program as of yet.
Best,
Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberThu 18-Nov-10 02:29 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

I think it's because I have ACR from Adobe Labs?

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

ottawaman Registered since 16th Sep 2009Thu 18-Nov-10 03:33 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Lightroom 3.3 is a "release candidate" and reads raw files

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 18-Nov-10 07:30 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

From many reports, ACR RC does not render D7000 images with as great of sharpness and lack of noise compared to the version of ViewVX supplied with the camera.
When the D90 came out ACR could not read the files but when a version was released that did read the D90 files NX2 and ViewNX still rended noticeably better. By the time LR 3 came out, Adobe had pretty much caught up with rendering of the D90 images. It appears that we are at the start of the refinement cycle again with LR and ACR.
There are thinks Nikon is doing with the D7000 files that is different than prior models, and it might take a while for 3rd party software developers figure it out because Nikon does not release full file specs.
I use LR mostly because it is just an all round polished program but also have some of the others, Nikon software does have an advantage in newly released Nikon cameras. Having propitiatory file formats hurts Nikon in early reviews because sites like IR and DPR ignore the Nikon software and use ACR.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberThu 18-Nov-10 01:34 PM
#5. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I have LR buT I don't use it, thus my lack of support knowledge.

My post process routine consists PotoMechanic and Nikon Capture NX2

I have ALWAYS used NX2 for the benefits that I get as a Nikon user. NX2 has always rendered RAW files better, in my opinion.

The shear fact that LR refuses to read the in RAW JPEG is the sole reason it sits on the shelf.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Tue 07-Dec-10 12:57 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

somerville, US

I've been using both lightroom 3.3RC and View NX. I think lightroom is doing just fine on detail and such. They have not yet, however, released the camera modes (vivid, etc) that I assume they will when the release is final. Its still all adobe standards...which is actually not that bad.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Nov-10 04:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

If just the meta-data header of the image is being processed, then many programs will be able to see and process this data and display the preview Jpeg thumbnail embedded in the NEF or RAW file without processing or updating the RAW image data.

Because of the above, one can trick a program to process a RAW image of a camera that that software does not support. But using this trick has some restrictions as the program might not know how to handle all of possible and new setting values within the image data.

There is always a delay between when a camera product that produces RAW images is announced and the software needed to process that file is released. Nikon is usually the first out because they have the inside information about the hardware and file produced. Nikon has not always gotten the software out with the camera release. Then the 3rd party vendors come later, once they receive the final image specs from Nikon and update their software, test, and finalize their product.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Tue 07-Dec-10 11:49 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

somerville, US

I believe that is the way photomechanic has always worked.

danpass Registered since 07th Dec 2006Tue 07-Dec-10 04:34 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 07-Dec-10 04:35 AM by danpass

Miami, US

LR 3.3 RC won't read the 14bit NEFs but will convert them to DNG during import.

Go figure.

(12bit seems ok)

ViewNX reads 14bit fine and will convert them to TIFF easily enough

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-Dec-10 07:25 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

I don't have a D7000(yet) but have downloaded NEF files and converted with ACR RC and the newest version of NX2. Even with NR off, high ISO seems a lot cleaner, and sharper at 100% with NX2. Some trick is being applied but from seeing less noise AND more detail, it must be something significant.
So my optimum workflow would likely be convert to TIFF in ViewNX or NX2 and import into LR or PS CS5. I just wish Nic, the NX2 developers, would modernize the NX2 UI and architecture because it is just not as slick and polished or speedy as the Adobe products. NX2 is pretty easy to use but that ease seems to lull people into thinking it is not powerful so they don't delve into its deeper functions. There is a 3rd party eBook that really unlocks features not explained well in the docs, Jason O'Dell's "The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2" at http://www.luminescentphoto.com/ He has a new video Guide to Sharpening in NX2 that looks like it would be useful but I have not seen anything other than the preview.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Mon 13-Dec-10 10:57 PM
#12. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

somerville, US

Yes, I'm seeing that I have to boost the lunminence noise reduction slider in adobe 3.0 to be as clean and sharp. Probably a result of a different anti aliasing filter on this sensor. Once I do, it looks fantastic.

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Tue 07-Dec-10 11:47 AM
#10. "RE: DAM Software D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

somerville, US

I have not seen that behavior. Importing 14 just fine.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2005 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.