Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1999
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hot Pixel Issue." Previous topic | Next topic
kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Wed 17-Nov-10 10:53 PM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hot Pixel Issue."

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

I picked up a D7000 last week. Charged the battery, took a dozen shots and put it in the bag. I am a sports shooter, so the video is of no concern to me. How do you test for hot pixels in still pics? Take shots with the lens cap on? Then what am I looking for and at what magnification? Are they just dots, and will they be white or colored? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 17-Nov-10 11:15 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hot Pixel Issue."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 17-Nov-10 11:16 PM by elec164

US

Hot pixels can show up as red, blue, green or white. The generally will appear as a cross.

I have a one almost dead center of the image.

This is a 100% crop (actual pixel view). The hot pixel is the white spec under her eye.

This is pixel peeping at about 700% view

They were taken at base ISO and were a quick grab shot indoors which explains the motion blur.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JHzlwd Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Thu 18-Nov-10 08:42 PM
409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hot Pixel Issue."
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Hi,

I agree with Pete re appearance of the typical pixel defect. I have several digi cameras but the D7000 is the first to have absolutely no defects. No idea if this is luck or the quality control is now really that good.

Yes, you can look for them by taking shots with the lens cap on. They are more likely to appear at long exposure (let's say a couple of seconds). Make sure noise reduction is off when you try this.

There is a program called "Pixel Fixer" that can mask/repair these. I seem to recall NIkon Capture NX can map and fix bad pixels as well. There are others. "Pixel Fixer" used to be free and may still be. I have a copy and it worked well. I say "worked" because I discovered a few pixel defects are very unlikely to appear in a prepared image. This is mostly a pixel-peeper's obsession. Unless there are very many and/or they are close together and you view at 100% or greater they will almost invariably disappear during the re-sampling and other image processing activities that take place either in-camera or during your work-flow. If, on rare occasion, one should still be visible it's easy enough to kill it with clone brush.

If defects really are a problem the manufacturer will do something on warranty. I have heard of nit-pickers sending a DSLR back to have the sensor replaced for a couple of hot pixels only to have it come back with even more (!). Practically all cameras will have some of these defects straight out of the box. 99% of the time they do not result in a defect visible in the final imaging product.

Best wishes,
JH

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Thu 18-Nov-10 10:01 PM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hot Pixel Issue."
In response to Reply # 0

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

Thanks for the info guys. This is my 5th body, and I never really noticed any in any of the other cameras. Shooting a few hundred basketball pics Saturday, so we shall see.

Keith

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1999 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.