Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19960
View in linear mode

Subject: "Quick Reset of EC +/-" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 19-Jul-12 07:03 PM
755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Quick Reset of EC +/-"

Los Angeles, US

Isn't there a 2-button command that instantly resets EC factors to 0? Can't find it in the book.

Last month at a picnic I went astray with my new D7000. Among other preparations I failed to make, I had exposure compensation figures set on the camera. The pictures turned out like mud. Low resolution mud.

Along with my question, I'd like to share the following from the D7000 Tips blog on another forum. This came as a response to wondering if there were a shooting checklist, perhaps even plasticized, to throw in my bag to prevent further disasters. Here is what the host of the blog, Granpaw, came up with. I have not examined or verified his thoughts. So, buyer beware. Don't you just love the way the Internet allows one to spread groundless propaganda and conspiracy theories? You can add or subtract other pertinent precautions.

Here they are:

PHOTO CHECKLIST

Is my white balance where I will want it
How about that ISO setting
Is you EV compensation set back to normal
Shutter speed not set to very high or very slow speed from last use
If you shoot in Aperture priority, is the F-stop what you want it set on for shooting today?
Image quality set? Raw, JPEG fine, normal, basic
Auto focus set how you want it
Matrix, spot or center weighted OK?
What is the flash set on and is it set on what you will be needing
batteries charged and ready to go and in the camera enough memory to do the job
Is the lens clean and free of dust and smudges and extra lens cloths with you
If you are new to the camera or photography, do you need the manual

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-
elec164 Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
20th Jul 2012
greenwing Gold Member
21st Jul 2012
dm1dave Administrator
20th Jul 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 20-Jul-12 02:55 AM
1968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Isn't there a 2-button command that instantly resets EC
>factors to 0? Can't find it in the book.
>

Which book, page 151 of the D7000 manual explains how to do the two button reset and what settings are affected.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 20-Jul-12 03:32 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 20-Jul-12 03:40 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

It's very easy to just follow instructions given in the manual on page 107. After a picture is taken, check your histogram in the playback and you can help lessen the possibility of poor exposures.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 20-Jul-12 06:43 PM
755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 20-Jul-12 06:46 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Thanks. A few hours after i posted this question I went to the local camera store who sold me the Nikon. They pointed out that the two buttons I spoke of are denoted by a small Green Dot.

I then followed up by reading the pages in the manual you pointed out. A complication has arisen, because the reset triggered by the two buttons erases all saved settings. Not U1 & U2, but the settings for PASM.
I relied a lot on those. Here are my specific questions related to restoring or re-inputting those preferences:

a) what are those saved settings called?
b) why is that the save command is greyed out (save/load) in the Setup menu? It is greyed out while the camera is in PASM modes.
c) Am I correct in believing that this Save/Load set of menu preferences is a third, parallel user set to U1 & U2? I sure need something like that.

Sorry to stretch the logic of my original question. As it turns out, the two buttons are a bit harsh in what they accomplish. Quick, but extreme. The method of going into EC, and manually restoring the 0 +/- is too slow. Though it is the logical choice when time allows.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 20-Jul-12 10:12 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

The 2 button reset can be helpful under certain conditions, and has been discussed somewhere, but I can't remember what those are; as you've found out they do reset all settings back to default.

Not certain of your question in item a. Item b, save/load is discussed on p. 244, and pertains to saving settings on a card. If you'll go into that setup section and press the button directly to the left (under WB) it will give a short definition of the action. If it is greyed out there is no card in the slot or no information. Item c - using this option allows you to restore these settings or transfer to another D7000.

If changing the EC seems too slow using the button and dial go to custom menu setting "F7" (p.234 in manual) and select "yes". This allows you to touch a button, release it, and then use a dial to set a setting - you don't need to hold the button and rotate the dial at the same time. As mentioned, press the WB button to the left of the screen and it gives you information.

There is a spread sheet available in this forum so you can jot down your individual settings or just jot the ones you use (along with a manual page for reference) so you'll be able to verify what you have set. Hope this helps but if I misunderstood your thoughts please accept my apologizes. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 20-Jul-12 10:20 PM
#5. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Thanks John. I'll rephrase a few of the things I brought up.

Are there three recorded groups of Menu settings, or two? I was under the impression of U1, U2 and a third recorded group that was written to disk (thus Saved) by entering preferences in PASM modes and then going to Setup>Save. Not save User Sets, for that would mean U1 & U2. But save another group. There are two different Save commands in the Setup Menu. I'm referring to the second command only.

How does that work if not as a means for a 3rd group of preferential inputs? I don't know where that data would be saved if not on the Memory Card. And why is there a corresponding command for Upload, which immediately follows Save?

My memory card does have the record of the U1 & U2 settings. I can see it when I upload to my computer using ViewNX2.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 20-Jul-12 10:37 PM
#7. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

Another case of "Foot-in-Mouth Disease". The greyed out look of the Setup Menu was because the Card 1 in the memory slots was inserted where Card 2 should be. And visa versa.

So I haven't lost my settings. But closely examining the Nikon User Manual I still can't classify U1, U1 and 'those other things'. Do they have a name?

I'm I continue to be alarmed by the way the camera gets locked into an EC compensation figure even when shut off and then turned on again. I want a way to instantly blast those settings because my next session might be with speedlights, and the exposure settings I crank into my SB lights compound with ones remaining in the camera.

A dangerous situation, in my mind. I completely botched my first outing with the camera due to forgetting EC settings that were residuals of a prior shooting session.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sat 21-Jul-12 08:02 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

You seem unaware that Exposure Compensation is set on the camera. There are tell-tales in both viewfinder and top-plate LCD for both exposure compensation and flash compensation; if you see one of these removing the compensation is as easy as pressing a button and turning a wheel. You don't even need to take the camera away from your eye. Perhaps not 'instantly blast' but not far off.

Chris

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 20-Jul-12 10:26 PM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Quick Reset of EC +/-"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 20-Jul-12 11:36 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Check Custom setting b3: Easy exposure Compensation (page 212 of the manual)

Set it to RESET ON (Auto Reset) and the exposure compensation will be reset to zero when the meter times out or the camera is turned off.

This will work but may have the unintended consequence of having the compensation reset if the meter times out between shots.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19960 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.