Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1990
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained" Previous topic | Next topic
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberWed 17-Nov-10 09:11 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained"

Colorado Springs, US

Thanks for Jason in the thread at http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=1641 for bringing to light where to set these features.

This totally jacked me up - so I wanted to take a moment to show how to make these changes.

This information is found on Page 94 - 96 of the user manual.

To change from AF/C, AF/S and AF/A: hold the center of the Focus Mode Selector Switch (AF M switch), called the AF-Mode Button and rotate the Main Command Dial (rear).

To change the Autofocus Area Mode (Single-point AF, 9-point Dynamic, Etc.) hold the center of the Focus Mode Selector Switch (AF M switch) and rotate the Sub-Command Dial (front).

Hope this helps!

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained
wmarson
17th Nov 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
17th Nov 2010
Robman3 Gold Member
17th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
Chris Ross Leong
18th Nov 2010

wmarson Registered since 17th Nov 2010Wed 17-Nov-10 09:19 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks Chris. If using one of the U1/U2 modes, will this method still work? Or, do the internal menu settings saved to U1/U2 override this somehow?

- Bill

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberWed 17-Nov-10 09:24 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

Good question, I don't use the "Banks" on my D700 so I don't see a need (for me) to use U1/U2?

Hopefully someone who does use them will post the answer here?

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Robman3 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2010Wed 17-Nov-10 11:31 PM
1721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

The next question was answered, single focus set up is where?

Got that now, so thanks so much Chris, getting used to the hot buttons for on the fly.

BTW, I was just in Samy's in CC, CA and was buying the Zoom H4N for off camera 24/96 Broadcast Wave file capture (to be synched later) as the on board mic, does such a great job time stamping the whirring and clicking as an under bed to anything audio.

They were just allotting the six D7K's just received on pre-order, two were picked up while I was standing there, and my second one (for my nephew/assistant) is among them, which I'll grab tomorrow.

He's stoked.

This machine is exciting and fraught with state of the art potential.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 18-Nov-10 02:45 AM
747 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Sounds like you're working with video. Which auto-focus area mode (Single-point AF, 9-point Dynamic, etc.) do you prefer for video, or does it really depend on the subject/ How about a moving subject (walker, dancer, and such?) I'm not having much luck keeping focus with my 70-300 VR II.
Best,
Dennis

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Thu 18-Nov-10 06:01 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Autofocus Mode and Point Selection Explained"
In response to Reply # 4

Sherman Oaks, US

Good questions!
Look forward to much discussion in this new arena!
Cheers
Chris

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1990 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.