Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1971
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do you use U1 and U2" Previous topic | Next topic
wmarson Registered since 17th Nov 2010Wed 17-Nov-10 03:58 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do you use U1 and U2"

US

Hi! New to DSLR photography and just recently picked-up the new D7000 (luckily stumbled on one in San Diego and pulled the trigger). Anyway, my plan is to set-up and use U1 for Landscapes and U2 for people. Question is -- how are you all using these modes? Also, when I'm on U1/U2, is this the same as being on Manual (M)? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do you use U1 and U2
M_Jackson Silver Member
17th Nov 2010
wmarson
17th Nov 2010
sabbey51 Silver Member
20th Nov 2010
Mike Buckley
20th Nov 2010
jmiguez Silver Member
18th Nov 2010

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 17-Nov-10 08:16 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do you use U1 and U2"
In response to Reply # 0

Jackson, US

The U1 and U2 may have been my most pleasant surprise feature on the D7000. I set mine up with U1 in aperture priority at f/8 for stationary wildlife (in which shutter speed and is less important) and set for spot focus. Works great when swans are just feeding and milling around. Once a group takes off, I dial it to U2 where I set it for continuous focus, 21 point, and a higher ISO, with a wider aperture to help stop the action. It takes only a second to change the dial and it becomes automatic.

For the scenics, I set it back to U1 and do the adjustments for f/11, low ISO, over the top of the U1 settings. But, they don't "stick" and when I come back to U1 from U2, it is set up as I saved it for stationary wildlife shooting.

I'd love to see a future D400 or D800 with additional U3 and U4 settings on top of the U1 and U2 on the D7000, too.

Hope this helps,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

wmarson Registered since 17th Nov 2010Wed 17-Nov-10 08:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do you use U1 and U2"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I set mine up with U1 in aperture priority at
>f/8 for stationary wildlife (in which shutter speed and is
>less important) and set for spot focus.
>I dial it to U2 where I set it for continuous focus, 21 point,
>and a higher ISO, with a wider aperture to help stop the
>action.

Hi! Thanks for the input. OK, some follow-up's on this (since I'm a newbie). So, if I go into my camera's menu, what settings would I set to achieve the above. For example, how do you set U1 in 'aperture priority at f/8'? I understand how to copy the settings to U1, but is there a specific menu option/setting that says 'shoot with aperture priority at f/8'? Further, what menu optinon would I go to to set the 'continuous focus'?

Sorry, just trying to get a 1:1 between your descriptions and where I would find those in the D7000 menu to educate myself.

Thanks!

- Bill

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 01:18 AM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do you use U1 and U2"
In response to Reply # 2

Saddle river, US

I have U1 set for landscape, and U2 set for P&S.

It's very easy to set and use U1/U2. Simply make all the settings you like on the camera - mode, exp / flash comp, release mode, etc. - then go into the menu and save the state to either U1 or U2. Then, anytime you switch the dial to U1 or U2, those settings are recalled.

While in U1 or U2 mode, you can make adjustments as you like. For instance, my U1 is manual exposure ISO 100, shutter 1/100, f/16. If I, for instance, change the exposure as I'm working, I can simply get back to the preset by switching from U1 mode to anything else, then back to U1 mode.

The key is the preset never changes unless you explicitly save it via the menu, and you can save any setting (at least, I haven't found any you can't save that I use). So you always have a fixed starting point.

Now if only there were 4 or 5 more memory slots ...

Mike Buckley Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 02:58 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do you use U1 and U2"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Now if only there were 4 or 5 more memory slots ...

There is one more in effect. Check out page 244 of the manual. You can save a settings file to the memory card in Slot #1. You can upload that settings file to your camera. I don't have the camera yet, but I'm told that both saving and uploading are instantaneous.

Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 18-Nov-10 12:00 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do you use U1 and U2"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

>Hi! New to DSLR photography and just recently picked-up the
>new D7000 (luckily stumbled on one in San Diego and pulled the
>trigger). Anyway, my plan is to set-up and use U1 for
>Landscapes and U2 for people. Question is -- how are you all
>using these modes? Also, when I'm on U1/U2, is this the same
>as being on Manual (M)? Thanks in advance for your
>responses.

The D7000 already has Scene setups which optimize the camera for Landscapes and Portraits. You might want to see if the Scene settings will do what you want and save the U1 & U2 for settings not preset in the camera but which you find yourself using a lot.

Just an idea.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1971 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.