Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1968
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 plate.." Previous topic | Next topic
radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Wed 17-Nov-10 03:12 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 plate.."
Wed 17-Nov-10 03:12 PM by radwar

Cupertino, US

Can anyone let me know if I can use D90 plate on a D7000? I currently have a Arca Swiss plate for D90 and wondering if I can reuse it on a D7000.. Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 plate..
elec164 Silver Member
17th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator
17th Nov 2010
radwar
17th Nov 2010
Reply message RE: D7000 plate..alternatives
ricphoto
17th Nov 2010
meadowlark Silver Member
17th Nov 2010
radwar
17th Nov 2010
meadowlark Silver Member
19th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
19th Nov 2010
Cobalt
19th Nov 2010
bradbort Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
poc Silver Member
08th Dec 2010

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 17-Nov-10 04:58 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't use Arca Swiss but my Manfrotto 200PL14 plate transfered just fine from my D80 to the D7000.

I assume the Arca Swiss plate should work given that the size and bottom of the D7000 should be similar if not almost the same as the D90.

Pete

Pete

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 17-Nov-10 05:33 PM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Which plate do you have, exactly?

If it is tailored specifically to the D90 (rather than being a generic plate that happens to fit), then I would not expect it to fit the D7000. Even very small alterations in the shape and size of the camera baseplate from model to model will prevent such a plate being transferable.

I think if a tailored D90 plate would fit the D7000, we would have heard about it by now from the likes of Kirk and Really Right Stuff

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Wed 17-Nov-10 06:05 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 2

Cupertino, US

I have the Acratech 2138 plate. http://www.adorama.com/ACR2138.html?kbid=64628

From the website, it looks like it fits a wide range of nikons.. so cross my fingers that it should be fine with the D7000 (due to arrive tomorrow).

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Wed 17-Nov-10 06:14 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 plate..alternatives"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 17-Nov-10 06:15 PM by ricphoto

Seattle, US

With the addition of 2 D7000's, a new shoulder rig and fluid head I needed a few more Arca type plates and releases but was tired of paying way too much for them...

a little searching found this shop on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/OEC-Camera-Accessories

and I must say the variety, quality and pricing is refreshing. I've picked up a combo set of 5 releases and plates for less than $90.00 then added a few longer plates for my rigs.

They are very well built and work just as well as the "name" brands...

John Simmonds the owner (John Simmonds <oldenglishchina@comcast.net>) is really helpful and ships amazingly quick...most of my items are 2-3 days Texas to Seattle.

have fun...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 17-Nov-10 09:39 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

Received our two D7000 cameras today. He is some info about the L-brackets from Really Right Stuff. The D300 L-bracket is not flat on the bottom. I has some ridges that hold a D300 flat and will not rotate. The D7000 is a bit wider then the D300. What I plan to do is grind the rear ridge of the bracket so that it fits flat on the bottom of the camera. Only problem is the vertical part of the plate cannot fit against the side of the camera if you want to use a cable release. I just left a gap and can now get the door open and the cable end into the camera. My wife has a D90 plate, that does fit on the bottom of the D7000 flat. She has the same problem with opening the door. Since she uses the remote, this is not a problem. Hope this helps. At $120 a RRS bracket a little inconvenience is worth $240.

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Wed 17-Nov-10 09:41 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 5

Cupertino, US

Thanks for the info.

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 19-Nov-10 03:03 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 5

Springfield, US

Just a follow-up. I went over to my son-in-law's house. He is a woodworker and has lots of tools. He has a grinder for metal which we were going to use. It was slow and difficult to grind the rear ridge down. So he put it in a vice and we used a metal file. Took a little while, about 30 minutes, and we filed the ridge flat with the plate. Fits great on the D7000.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 19-Nov-10 11:09 AM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Most flat plates should fit the D7000 fine. Some of the plates are designed to fit the contours of the camera bodies and prevent any twisting and they won't be as likely to fit. A flat plate won't prevent twisting, but can be used generically. Also consider a lens plate as an interim solution or inexpensive alternative.

RRS is shipping their new two piece L-Bracket for the D7000.

I'm got a D7000 body, extra battery and grip in transit from Berger Brothers, and the L-bracket in transit from RRS.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Cobalt Registered since 20th Apr 2008Fri 19-Nov-10 12:16 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 0

US

My D80 Markins plate would not correctly fit the D7000 body - that is the bad news, the good news is that Markins is already shipping the PG-34N, which is made for the D7000. Mine arrived a few days ago, and fits fine.

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Tue 07-Dec-10 12:54 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 9

somerville, US

I was told that the d90 plate would work by nikonians pro shop. That being said, I still bought one that claimed to be explicitly made for the D7000 directly from Kirk. I used the Markens plat on my d300 (since sold), but I must admit I like the kirk better. Its hollow design is both lighter, and works more convincingly with the fail safe pin on the Marken head I have. Ordering direct from Kirk, got the plate in less than a week. It was not yet in stock at the proshop, or I would have bought from them.

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Wed 08-Dec-10 09:54 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 plate.."
In response to Reply # 10

Glenview, US

I have several generic plates that fit all my Nikon bodies.

Kirk L-bracket is a different story. The d7k is slightly wider than d90 and so the vertical part does not clear it.I would assume that is the case with any custom L-bracket regardless of brand. The Kirk L-bracket for d300 does fit but it is not an exact fit as there is a little extra room along the vertical part.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1968 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.