Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19624
View in linear mode

Subject: "Possible Email scam" Previous topic | Next topic
Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 03:38 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Possible Email scam"

Carthage, US

I was wandering if anyone has had this happen to them. I received an email from someone from this Nikonian website offering for me to buy their D7000. The price was fairly good but they were asking me to send them a Money Order. I have learned from Ebay that you cannot send a money order because there is no one of tracking the money.

I was very disappointed that someone might pull a stunt like that off of this website. Do you think it is legitimate or not? I would say "NO" but maybe the nikonian's do business that way. Not sure.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Possible Email scam
RLDubbya Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
Caroleen Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Jul 2012
winclk
02nd Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Jul 2012
Caroleen Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
walkerr Administrator
02nd Jul 2012
Caroleen Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
walkerr Administrator
02nd Jul 2012
Caroleen Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
walkerr Administrator
02nd Jul 2012
Caroleen Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 02-Jul-12 10:46 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I was wandering if anyone has had this happen to them. I
>received an email from someone from this Nikonian website
>offering for me to buy their D7000. The price was fairly good
>but they were asking me to send them a Money Order. I have
>learned from Ebay that you cannot send a money order because
>there is no one of tracking the money.
>
>I was very disappointed that someone might pull a stunt like
>that off of this website. Do you think it is legitimate or
>not? I would say "NO" but maybe the nikonian's do
>business that way. Not sure.

If you didn't initiate the contact, and if you don't have an "I'd like to buy" listing, I'd be wary. I'd check out the member's profile - has (s)he been a member for a while, actively posting? What is the join date?

Could be that somebody quickly set up an account here, and is trying to scam.

If it's from a member who looks legit - has been posting, etc., - I'd drop them a note and ask them what's going on.

I've purchased a couple things through folks on this site, and my experience universally is that the transactions are painless, respectful, and communication is very clear and open. I know if I saw a "Wanted to buy" posting, and dropped an email through the system, I'd have no problem in politely and respectfully discussing and negotiating payment terms, etc.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 02-Jul-12 11:38 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Jul-12 11:40 AM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Bob gave very good advice. Although there are a lot of transactions regarding buying/selling without bad results, if you hadn't started the process I believe the old saying "buyer, beware" would be worth noting. Especially with them asking for a MO.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 11:57 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 2

Carthage, US

No, I did not initiate the email at all. If they had listed in the "For Sale" section of this website I would not be wary at all but he sent me a private email and then ask to be paid "money order." I have never listed anything in the "want to buy" section.

I will look up his profile though. Thanks

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 02-Jul-12 12:32 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Carol

You recently posted in this forum that you were looking at a new D7000 with a low price at an unknown e-retailer. My guess is the email you received is simply someone who saw your post trying to help with an alternative.

As always, use appropriate due diligence. You can normally tell something by looking at how long someone has been a member, whether they are a paying member, how frequently they post, what they post, and how they engage here. At the end of the day, it's your call, but my experience with active Nikonians has been quite positive. And we do have members who work for retailers, but they accept credit cards for payment.

A money order lacks some tracking, but it is a viable method of payment. Ebay makes money by having you use PayPal, so they are not exactly an objective source. But PayPal does have some safety built into the process so many of us use it.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 12:47 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 4

philadelphia, US

Can i ask how many posts and how often does someone have to post to make them a legit seller? I myself don't have many posts for the amount of time that I have been a member. I don't post a lot because I don't buy my camera as soon as it comes out. I usually can do a search and find my answer. I visit this forum every day sometime 2 or 3 times a day. I have bought from people here more than once.
I ask this to say if I was to sell something here I wouldn't be someone you would buy from?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 02-Jul-12 01:10 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

You've been a member for 5 years with 70+ posts. That shows a lot of stability.

The group I am most cautious of would be someone with very few posts who recently joined. It does not mean I would not buy from them - but I might have more due diligence and look for references. I bought a $5000 lens from someone on Nikonians that I did not know but we had mutual friends that I contacted as references.

Take a look at the I Want to Sell Forum. You'll see posts from paying members. Some are relatively new members, but have clear detail with links to their website and other contributions that are consistent with a real person. The requirement of paid membership to post items for sale helps to keep away fraudulent posts but does not eliminate them completely.

Different online sites have different criteria for buying and selling gear. You need to know how to interpret the suitability of any given site.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 04:19 PM
#8. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 7

Carthage, US

I could not find this seller on Nikonian at all.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 02-Jul-12 05:50 PM
14431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

Carol, is it possible to paste in the text of the note you received (ideally including all headers) and forward it to me? Either e-mail or a PM using the buttons at the top right is fine. Thanks!

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 06:01 PM
#10. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 9

Carthage, US

I will try

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 02-Jul-12 06:03 PM
14431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 10

Colorado Springs, US

Thanks!

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 06:05 PM
#12. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 11

Carthage, US

Did find the seller and he had 94 posts.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 02-Jul-12 06:07 PM
#13. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 12

Colorado Springs, US

I did some checking as well, and I suspect there's no foul play. Money orders were more commonly used a few years ago before PayPal really kicked in, so it just may be someone without a PayPal account.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 06:13 PM
#14. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 13

Carthage, US

OK thanks. I was scammed on Ebay with a money order one time and they suggested to not use them. I'm not trying to get the person in trouble at all just can't afford to throw $1000 away either. Thanks for your help.

If you do use a money order then how do you make sure you don't lose the money?

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 03-Jul-12 04:08 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Possible Email scam"
In response to Reply # 14

Brighton and Hove, GB

Carol, there is no guarantee. You're taking a chance. If you don't like that, there is the option of buying refurbished or used goods from a major retailer such as B&H, Adorama or KEH.

I have bought a few things off this site, including my D7000. I've used money orders and Paypal. Perhaps I've been lucky so far, but I've always felt comfortable that members who have been around for a while and who participate in the forums, even lightly, aren't on the site to rip you off.

You could contact the seller and see if he'll give you a phone number: you might get a feel by talking in person. You could also ask him to give you names of a couple of other Nikonians who'll give him references. Then you can look those people up and see if they are long-time members as well as contact them for the actual reference. Other things to watch: if the money order goes to a residential address, that would be more reassuring to me than if it's going to a P.O. box.

Yet another option is escrow.com. If it looks suitable ask if the seller would accept that. It was recommended in this thread, I have no personal experience of it myself.

But the bottom line is, if you don't feel comfortable, don't buy.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19624 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.