Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19595
View in linear mode

Subject: "Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!" Previous topic | Next topic
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSun 01-Jul-12 03:04 PM
5926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"

Knoxville, US

I am struggling with what direction to go in the future with my Mastering the Nikon DSLR series books. I wanted to put this in front of my readers to see what you think. If we were releasing a book, such as Mastering the Nikon D7000, as an ebook only, it would be available months sooner for readers and at a reduced cost.

Do you have a favorite eReader? Do you use a Kindle, Nook, iPad, or tablet PC to read books most often? Do you still cherish owning a printed book? Do you buy both a printed book and eBook of favorite titles?

I need your opinion. Are printed books in the technical genre, such as camera books tied to a specific camera, better released as eBooks or as more expensive printed books, or both? If there were no printed copies of my books available, would you still get an ebook copy?

Everything I read points to the gradual decline of printed books. Recent statistics point out that printed book purchases are down 10 percent so far this year, while eBook purchases are up 161 percent. How do you feel about those stats? This is a real struggle for an author. I want to get my books out to you as soon as possible and the process of printing them is extremely expensive and very slow. Plus, it is hard to correct typos and errors once in print, having to wait until the entire print run of the book sells out and a reprint occurs. With an eBook, changes, even including additions, could occur immediately.

I appreciate your taking time to respond to this query. I really need for you to respond, even if you just briefly state your preferences. The future is rushing in upon us very quickly and those who refuse to change often disappear. Thank you for your opinion!

Digital Darrell

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, pleas...
juphues Gold Member
01st Jul 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st Jul 2012
eric leidigh Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
ytirahc
01st Jul 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
mdallie Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
beemerman2k Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
edblanton Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
DaynLarz Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
markperry
02nd Jul 2012
adcam Gold Member
02nd Jul 2012
TomHH
21st Aug 2012
rcosme Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
Howker Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
jadiniz
03rd Jul 2012
esandy Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
greynolds Gold Member
04th Jul 2012
smkunder Silver Member
04th Jul 2012
Omaha
04th Jul 2012
Biker Bill Gold Member
04th Jul 2012
jruthefam
05th Jul 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
05th Jul 2012
MS Photog Silver Member
05th Jul 2012
mdallie Silver Member
05th Jul 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
05th Jul 2012
fgoldbach Gold Member
06th Jul 2012
PhotoByKim Gold Member
06th Jul 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
07th Jul 2012
jameskuzman
10th Jul 2012
kw_starling Silver Member
10th Jul 2012
rwwright Platinum Member
10th Jul 2012
pencho
01st Aug 2012
DinoCardelli
27th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
bentrod
28th Aug 2012

juphues Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2012Sun 01-Jul-12 03:30 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Murphy, US

Both..............I have your Mastering the D7000 in print format and also on my Ipad. I refer to the print copy while at home and use the Ipad copy while traveling.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 01-Jul-12 04:41 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Jul-12 01:43 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Printed books for reading well formatted text and good illustrations.

eBooks for information on the go or in the field without packing a number of books. O'Reilly Media has a special price for print and eBook purchased together. They offer the eBook in ePub (Adobe Digital Editions), PDF (Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat), DIASY, and Mobi. The eBooks I purchase from O'Reilly work on my Nook ST, Nook Color, Asuss tablet, netBook, and laptop. I can also have them on a USB Drive.

O'Reilly also offers an errata service for regitered owners.

I wonder if smaller text makes the eBook lighter.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

eric leidigh Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 04:49 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 2

marysville, US

i still like hard back but i was thinking of getting an ebook just did not move forward with that yet. my wife likes her kindle and she uses that 85% of the time.

ytirahc Registered since 23rd Jun 2012Sun 01-Jul-12 05:38 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 01-Jul-12 05:40 PM by ytirahc

Collinsville, US

Darrell, I got Mastering the Nikon D7000 on Friday and my camera will be arriving next week. I don't own a Kindle or Nook or any similar ereaders. I am extremely thankful that you offer the physical book, because from reviews I read, I'd have to buy several different books to cover the info that is covered in yours. (I love your teaching style/voice from reading the first chapter by the way. I plan to go all through the book first thing when my camera arrives and will be writing reviews that, if the first chapter is any indication, will be very favorable.) An ereader is on my "someday I'll buy" list, but not in the foreseeable future. It will probably be for pleasure reading mostly, and possibly for quick field reference as others have posted before me. I've played fantasy football for more than five years now and find myself printing out the scouting/strategy guides that I really want to absorb because whether having it physically on a page really helps me absorb it more or whether it's just a psychological thing, having the old-fashioned format in my hands seems to make it stick better than reading it online. Does the ereader edition need to wait to be released until the book edition is ready to release?

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 01-Jul-12 06:35 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

Printed books are best for a long, comfortable afternoon or evening reading session.

e-books are brilliant for quickly searching for reference info (when you don't want to search the entire world with Google).

So until I own a Kindle/Nook/iPad, I'll vote for both formats.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 08:49 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 01-Jul-12 09:00 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

Both!

I like the immediacy of delivery of an ebook, and the fact that it can go everywhere with me on an iPad or phone. I mainly use the Kindle App, but have the odd iBook as well.

I do still like the tangible feel of a book and the ability to pick it up and flick through it at leisure, so I own a number of titles in both formats.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 01-Jul-12 09:04 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Do an ebook with the option to print or have it printed one time.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 11:43 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I am pretty much to the point that if I can't get it as an eBook, I probably won't buy it. A few years ago I went on vacation and couldn't take all of the books I wanted to take because they took up too much room in the luggage. Now, I only take my Kindle and my iPad (reading most of my novels on my the Kindle and using the iPad to read the daily newspaper, browse the web, etc.). I have primarily used my iPad and iPhone for reference to my photography books.

Especially on a book about something like the D7000, I am inclined for an eBook for two primary reasons: (1) I like to be able to enter a search term and quickly jump from reference to reference; and, (2) when I travel, I like having the material on the my computer, my iPad, and my iPhone so if I run into something I can quickly pull out my phone (or whatever) and look it up on the fly.

My preferred eReader is Kindle because I can put it on every device I own (Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Mac Air, and MacPro desktop) and have it handy with me everywhere. Also, any time I find myself having breakfast, lunch, or dinner alone, I have my iPad and I can pop it open and read the book while I am eating.

Thom Hogan has a good format for his eBook on the D7000. He sent a DVD with the book in PDF format, along with a printed, spiral-bound, short reference companion. The reference companion is a little over 140 pages, the book is over 800 pages. He also provides written permission for you to print the 800 page PDF at your local FedEx Office store or wherever, so if you want a printed guide, you can have one at your own expense.

Mike

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Mon 02-Jul-12 12:16 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 8

Burke, US

"Thom Hogan has a good format for his eBook on the D7000. He sent a DVD with the book in PDF format, along with a printed, spiral-bound, short reference companion. The reference companion is a little over 140 pages, the book is over 800 pages. He also provides written permission for you to print the 800 page PDF at your local FedEx Office store or wherever, so if you want a printed guide, you can have one at your own expense."

I agree this is a great way to go except that I just went ahead and ordered his full printed copy as well. I like both formats, and Thom has the best of the best in content and format with a minimum of errors, while getting it out quickly.

Charles

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Mon 02-Jul-12 01:14 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

I am all e-book. I own an iPad and a 7" Samsung Galaxy 2. Under no circumstances will I ever buy paper again. What a waste of resources, and then you eventually have to dispose of it. A royal PITA!

Yesterday I was at Barnes and Noble and saw the "Advanced Photographer" magazine featuring a test of the Nikon D800. I whipped out my iPad, ordered an electronic copy of the magazine, and read yet another article illustrating why the D800 is the "promised Messiah of digital SLR's" . I own the Kindle version of the "Mastering the D7000" book.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

edblanton Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 01:26 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Mount Dora, US

Digital only is OK with me. I have your current D7000 ebook on MBP (by the way it is great). I can access via the O'Reilly cloud anywhere on other devices. What's not to like? Save a tree.

DaynLarz Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 03:38 AM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Blue Springs, US

Have a quite a library of books on my Kindle Fire; "Mastering the Nikon D7000" among them. E-books I can afford and are great for my budget. Plus they aren't taking up space in my house.

I vote E-books!

Dayn Cederstrom
Blue Springs, MO

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 03:55 AM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

I use a Nook for most books. Books with images don't work well on my Nook. For those or for magazines I use my IPad. A Nook app is available for the IPad. I believe there is also a Kindle app.

On rare occasions, I will buy a printed reference book. 99% of all reading material, I purchase, is in electronic format.

Lavene

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 03:55 AM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Jul-12 03:58 AM by Lolrogge

Ayden, US

I am having problems getting a post right.

My apologies for the extra posts.

Lavene

markperry Registered since 01st Dec 2010Mon 02-Jul-12 04:05 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For technical material and tutorials, I'm an e-book (PDF variety) fan myself, but I imagine that the loss of revenue from piracy is much higher. For non-technical works, I will always be a printed book lover.

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Mon 02-Jul-12 03:41 PM
585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

I am "old" school and like a printed book. Nothing beats the feel of the paper, putting your own personal notes, underlining stuff, folding the pages to important matters for easy reference in the future.

TomHH Registered since 01st Aug 2012Tue 21-Aug-12 09:58 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 17

Hamburg, DE

So right! No energy needed, when it get's wet - just dry it. Reading in bright sun - no problem! Sand? Now what?

I prefer printed books! Of course, it's not as handy as eBooks. Must everything be handy nower days?

Btw, I don't think producing a tablet PC doesn't consume less energy than making a book! People get rid of those gadgets every year, because they like to have the latest technology!

Cheers, Tom

http://zen.picsys.de

rcosme Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2008Tue 03-Jul-12 02:02 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

I like both formats as well but nothing can beat the convenience of an ebook. I can take one device and have several books to read and reference.

I have the ebook copy of your Mastering the Nikon D7000 and refer to it when out and about.

Ruben

My Nikonians gallery is here. All comments and feedback is appreciated.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Tue 03-Jul-12 05:14 AM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 18
Tue 03-Jul-12 05:15 AM by Howker

Redmond, US

Like the majority answers I would have both BUT I have always bought your printed books. I have D90 & D7000 at the moment.
The way of things however is e-format. Newspapers, magazines etc etc & I carry on my iPad all the pdf manuals I can for reference. The D7000 manual I refer to more on the pdf file I downloaded from Nikon than the printed copy because the cross referencing & search are so much quicker. Looking up the Index, remembering multiple page numbers - its a pain compared to clicking on a link.

Go digital, you will have just as many customers. However the ability to print user selected pages is a must.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 03-Jul-12 09:29 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 19

Estoril, PT

A lower price and quick download availability rank pretty high for me, putting e-books several notches above hard copies. This is coming from an international point of view.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Tue 03-Jul-12 06:41 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

I buy mostly ebooks(and Magazines)electronically now. I like the convenience of not having to haul a book around, search capability, zoom option on Fig photos and the book not falling closed on me while trying things I just read. My main reader app is Kindle on the iPad though I do use Kindle for the PC when working with software ebooks.

Ed

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Wed 04-Jul-12 12:16 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It looks like I'm with the majority - my preference is to read a printed book and bring along an electronic version on my iPad when I travel. I've put PDF versions of all my camera related manuals (even my lenses) on both my iPad and iPhone just in case I need them when I don't have the printed versions handy.

Geoff

smkunder Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Wed 04-Jul-12 01:20 AM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 22

Highland, US

I have always been a printed book person, but I am slowly evolving to the electronic versions, I like Kindle and PDF readers. My reason for changing is it is easier to take with me on my laptop and Ipod touch and refer to often. I think the printed versions of books are soon to go the way of film, they will still be here but used less as time passes.

Looking to learn as much as possible

Steve

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 01:57 AM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

I spent the last year and a half trying to convince myself to enjoy ereaders.

Just can't do it.

I'm totally back to buying proper books from now on.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Wed 04-Jul-12 12:29 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

I was fortunate to receive a free copy.of your book "Mastering the Nikon D7000" ,because you chose one of my photos to be a chapter divider, but I still purchased the e-version to have on my IPad. I refer to both copies at different times but do sometimes have both open at the same time. I do buy both version of books because I like to have a hard copy version at home and with e-books I am able to take my entire library on the road.

jruthefam Registered since 03rd Jan 2012Thu 05-Jul-12 03:12 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 25

Frisco, US

This is simular to the film vs. Digital debate of a few years ago. I am an old teacher who has a personal library of over 5000 volumes. I love books but if I look at things logically I can see that the hardcopy book will become rarer and rarer. This will have the effect of getting people the same information cheaper and more quickly. It will also allow more people to publish since people won't have to go the traditional publishers. My advise would be to offer both but when it digital sales account for anywhere from 30 to 40% switch at that time.

Digital is the future, just ask Borders books. - oops, too late.

I have your books in hardcopy and digital and thank you for your consise style and great instruction. I have thoroughly enjoyed both the hard and digital copies.

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Thu 05-Jul-12 12:23 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I prefer ebooks - especially for reference material; a search window is so much easier than scanning an index or toc for a specific topic. All my ebooks are available on my netbook, desktop, kindle, and iphone with the Kindle app.

Visit my gallery.

MS Photog Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2011Thu 05-Jul-12 02:12 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 27

Carthage, US

I don't have an e-reader (yet). Therefore, I am still buying hard copy. I have several books on my PC but do not enjoy reading them because I can't hold them close enough to read comfortably with my tri-focals. Also, like others, I love printed books.

However, I will be buying an e-reader in the future. At the moment I hate the fact that everybody's reader is in a different file format and not easily interchangeable. It reminds me of the early days of personal computers when you could not use one brand's floppy in other devices. Then the IBM PC changed the world.

I recommend you continue to do both printed and e-files for the near future. Maybe you could always offer your e-books in multiple formats until a real standard emerges.

Marlin

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 05-Jul-12 02:40 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 28

Novi, US

Marlin,

I think we are all frustrated by the different formats. However, I've found that Kindle books can be read on almost everything (except Nook, of course), PDFs are universal, and iPad's can read just about everything.

Mike

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Thu 05-Jul-12 03:35 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 29

US

The open standard ePub is also readable on just about any ereader and programs like Calibre make it easy to convert from one format to another. I think it is safe to choose either PDF or ePub as a publishing format.

Visit my gallery.

fgoldbach Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Fri 06-Jul-12 08:54 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Luckow, DE

This question is difficult for me to answer both have pros and cons. I have a kindle and are reading technical documents on it however, I also frequently use printed books where ebooks are available.
Advantage for the Kindle is:
It is fast to get a new book.
It is handy.
Easy to search for a word (read keywords)
Excellent for making bookmarks.
Disadvantage for the Kindl:
Pictures and figures are often impossible to see or read (small font and scale)
Pictures and figures are pages away from the text there refer to them.
Advantage of the book:
A lot faster to browse, especially for searching, where bookmarks or good keywords is not available.

Finally thanks for your book Mastering the Nikon D7000, it was excellent reading, in a book form.

PhotoByKim Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2011Fri 06-Jul-12 11:56 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 31

Canning Vale, AU

Hi

I use my ipad to read my technical books as well as the printed copies. I tend to do a lot of traveling and find it is very convenient to have some of my library with me when I am away from home and tired of watching TV. In many cases I have both the ebook and the printed book. I like to be able to stick lables in my technical manuals and books. I even write notes on stick-it lables and attach to the page.

I find that the printed book is also easier to use when trying to work on the computer (Photoshop manuals etc) because the ebook reader is just not that convenient.

Horses for courses, but I use both and I have purchased both the ebook and the printed book at the same time. This allows me to read the printed book and then continue reading the section even if I am away.

Cheers

Kim

"People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." — Maya Angelou

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 07-Jul-12 12:49 PM
1799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Darryl,

I'd go with both. I purchased my D7000 book in hard form. But it seems more and more want eBooks.

Tom

jameskuzman Registered since 14th May 2012Tue 10-Jul-12 02:40 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Windermere, US

Hi Darrell -

I ended up buying the printed version of Mastering the Nikon D7000 first and then got the e-book for my Nook Color afterwards.

For reference books, I still prefer a printed copy because it's so much easier to flip back and forth between chapters and pages or go directly to a section to look something up. With novels, where you're basically reading it through front to back, I don't think this matters as much.

That said, it's hard to beat the convenience of the e-book. Indeed, I ended up buying the electronic copy because it meant packing lighter on my recent vacation. Having it on the Nook was really handy.

I'm really on the fence when it comes to paper v. electronic because I still appreciate the feel of a good book in hand, an experience no e-reader has yet to capture for me. There's something satisfying about good quality paper with a nice type face and good pictures on it that just isn't the same on a screen. Plus, I stare at a monitor all day and actually picking up a book is a welcome change and easier on my eyes. On the flip side, we're back to convenience: I can carry a whole lot of books on the Nook and they're always with me.

I think if you can get an e-book to market faster it's a win for the reader and for you: The consumer gets the information closer to the release of the camera (important for new products that change as much as digital cameras do), and you get a jump start on sales. Personally, though, I'd rather have a reference book in print as my first choice.

That said, if your book was only available in electronic format, I still would have purchased it. I don't have any facts to back this up, but I don't know that e-reader market penetration has reached a high enough level to consider dropping print altogether; I think that would leave a good majority of potential customers out of the running.

Just my two cents

Jim

kw_starling Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2012Tue 10-Jul-12 09:41 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Darrell

I bought your D7000 book in Kindle format from Amazon in preparation for a vacation to Canada with a new D7000 body.

This electronic format purchase turned out to be a smart move as I was taking my Kindle with me anyway to read novels.

I'd agree with earlier postings in this thread though: the b&w format of the Kindle meant that illustrations, especially diagrams lost a lot of impact. Consider a coloured diagram of the camera body where the printer uses a vibrant colour such as red for the leader lines or captions - need I explain further! Perhaps this small point could be born in mind for future Kindle publications?

Fortunately for me this didn't hinder my enjoyment of your excellent publication.

Fred

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Tue 10-Jul-12 02:09 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 10-Jul-12 02:14 PM by rwwright

Fairview, TX, US

i no longer purchase printed books of any kind. well i might if it were something i couldnt get on ebook and i needed it such as a text book or something.
i dont really purchase picture books so that might be an exception

i started with sony and evolved to ipad with kindle software. my wife uses a kindle fire so we can share books if we read same thing.

i dont think i have purchased a magazine or book in printed form for 5 years.

My Gallery

pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012Wed 01-Aug-12 04:41 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Over the past year I have been buying 80% of my books as ebooks. I've also bought more books since using ebooks than I did with print copies. Maybe becuase it's easier to click and make a purchase than going to a store. It helps that the ebooks can be less expensive too (but is not always the rule). I use a kindle app on my Ipad to read. I would not by the same book in both ebook and print format. I have your book on Kindle on David Busch book in print since he did not offer an ebook. Thank you for a great book on the D7000!

John

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Mon 27-Aug-12 11:33 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 37

Plantation, US

For books and reference materials I go ebooks...via Ipad/Kindle reader.

It just makes sense to me...not to carry about a large book like Excel 2010 or something that's the size of a large bible....or any e-books on photography.

For magazine...sorry, but, I love my minutes on the "throne" quickly reading an article or two...

As well, for any of us that travel...you have about 15-20 minutes once the air doors close that you cannot read on an ebook at takeoff and landing...it's then that I break out my "magazines" I stashed in the seat in front of me and read or follow up on something..

There's something nice about the feel of the magazine (especially the Cigar Afficiando or Wine Spectator) in your hands....of course, shutterbug and all the other popular magazine are still inexpensive when you purchase on an annual basis for home delivery...

My $.02..

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 29-Aug-12 07:52 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 39

Los Angeles, US

My wife is giving Kindle a try. We are both in our '70s. Until now I've thought of digitized books as the domain of the techie generation.

I am opening up to the notion of eBooks. Just in April I made the jump from film cameras to DSLR, and I could not have imagined the possibilities offered by digital.

And I am giving serious thought the disadvantages of buying, shelving, maintaining printed books. It really amounts to 15th century technology and with a few exceptions isn't needed. Large format art books would be on item that's irreplaceable.

I've got a copy of your Mastering D7000. Immensely helpful.

bentrod Registered since 20th Feb 2012Tue 28-Aug-12 06:07 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Printed Books, eBooks, or Both? Your opinion, please!"
In response to Reply # 0

muskegon, US

> future is rushing in upon us very
>quickly and those who refuse to change often disappear. Thank
>you for your opinion!

I didn't really disappear, I am down in the basement with my huge pile of printed books

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19595 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.