Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #195
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Buffer Memory??" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonCoffeeMug Registered since 17th Sep 2010Fri 17-Sep-10 12:38 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Buffer Memory??"
Fri 17-Sep-10 12:54 AM by NikonCoffeeMug

Calgary, CA

Hello!

Love what we are seeing with the D7000 but my 2 inigmas are...

1. Are we getting 6FPS (At CH) at 14 bit lossless on this 16mp camera(noise reduction is off)?

2. With a class 10 SD card, how many frames do we get in the buffer-accepting and card-uploading before it starts to bog down?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??
km6xz Moderator
17th Sep 2010
NikonCoffeeMug
17th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
17th Sep 2010
gpoole Platinum Member
20th Sep 2010
JerryT
20th Sep 2010
gpoole Platinum Member
20th Sep 2010
Yucel
28th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
28th Jun 2011
Aviationbuff
28th Jun 2011
dm1dave Administrator
28th Jun 2011
Yucel
28th Jun 2011
dm1dave Administrator
28th Jun 2011
Voyager6 Silver Member
28th Jun 2011
Pocobear
29th Jun 2011

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 17-Sep-10 02:58 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

1, Yes, the new processor and more multiport memory makes that possible.

2, Don't know yet, only claim is for 100 shots in the specs at 6fps, 12 or 14bit. The new processor, again, seems to be very capable of handling more data faster but just how much dedicated buffer output can be transfered per unit of time will be an eagerly awaited question. The buffer is there for it, the processor is there in place, but just how long does the transfer take is the open question. It would have been nice for a CF card slot to allow higher speed.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NikonCoffeeMug Registered since 17th Sep 2010Fri 17-Sep-10 05:05 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

Thanks Stan. Well, I guess time will tell.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 17-Sep-10 05:49 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 17-Sep-10 05:51 PM by ZoneV

US

Chase Jarvis's team reported on his blog (in the comments section) that they got something like 11 frames of NEF raw 12-bit. And 10 frames of NEF Raw 14 bit + jpeg.

Now that the camera has 2 card slots, why can't Nikon create an option where the camera staggers writing during bursts between the two cards, so you can get more frames? Maybe on the D4?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 20-Sep-10 12:30 AM
3618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 3

Farmington Hills, US

Currently the number shots at maximum frame rate is primarily* limited by the size of the buffer memory, not the transfer rate from buffer memory to memory card. Faster cards allow the buffer to be unloaded quicker so that you can start the next burst sooner.

Staggering writing between 2 cards would only make things faster if there was more total buffer memory and parallel paths from the buffer to each card.

* Other factors in the camera affect the maximum frame rate, but the number of images at that frame rate is "primarily" a function of the buffer size. I believe that the data rate at maximum frame rate exceeds the maximum data writing rate of existing cards. A 14 bit lossless compressed NEF image from a 12M pixel sensor creates a ~13M byte file. At 8 frames per second this is about 832M bits per second. This number obviously increases in proportion to both image size and maximum frame rate Overlapping loading images into the buffer and copying from the buffer to the memory card could allow slightly more full speed images with a faster card (and appropriate write circuitry).

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

JerryT Registered since 31st May 2010Mon 20-Sep-10 01:23 AM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The claim of 100 shots before the buffer fills is pretty impressive. Anyone know if this requires a card rated 8 or 10 (or higher)? But how practical is it?

I don't shoot with my MB-D80 on high speed on my D90 all that often and usually have it set on low (but continuous) speed for most applications where a tripod is not involved. I have fairly good luck with sports at this lower speed (kids' soccer) although I normally crank it up to high for things like sports.

But 100 shots? I'd hate to do much editing of many bursts like this and can't imagine any real world use at 6 (isn't that what the D7000 is rated or is it 7) frames per second. Let's say it's seven so that would mean a burst 14 seconds long! When will anyone pull the trigger and hold it down for that long?

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 20-Sep-10 02:10 AM
3618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 5

Farmington Hills, US

The D90 claims 100 image capacity for all JPEG files except JPEG large an the fine compression ratio. For JPEG large fine it drops to 25 images and for NEF it is only 9 images. See p. 262 of the English manual for the complete chart. Is the file type and size stated in with the D7000 claim?

As I stated in my previous reply to this thread, the maximum number of shots in the buffer depends primarily on the buffer size and is almost independent of the card rating.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Yucel Registered since 28th Jun 2011Tue 28-Jun-11 03:48 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 28-Jun-11 03:57 AM by Yucel

US

The D7000 has a 100 shot buffer capacity only if images are stored in smaller JPGs. The buffer can fill in as few as 10 shots shooting in raw (nef) format.

I have run a bunch of Class 10, Class 6 and UHS-Class 1 SDHC tests.

Faster memory (UHS Class 1) is helpful for clearing out the buffer faster, it will not stop buffer from filling shooting raw files in rapid succession.

To see buffer specs, testing meathods and results see: http://glamourphotography.co/?p=2023

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 28-Jun-11 08:16 AM
28676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

For the protection of members, let me point out that some pages at the website linked to in the above post contain images that fall under section 2.9 of our Terms of Use and may offend some people.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Aviationbuff Registered since 15th Jan 2006Tue 28-Jun-11 10:20 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 28-Jun-11 10:22 PM by Aviationbuff

Suwanee, US

>Chase Jarvis's team reported on his blog (in the comments
>section) that they got something like 11 frames of NEF raw
>12-bit. And 10 frames of NEF Raw 14 bit + jpeg.
>
>Now that the camera has 2 card slots, why can't Nikon create
>an option where the camera staggers writing during bursts
>between the two cards, so you can get more frames? Maybe on
>the D4?

My experience is exactly the same, 10 NEF Raw 14 bit +jpeg. The buffer does clear pretty fast with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB

AVIATIONBUFF PHOTOGRAPHY
by Chris Buff
My Galleries:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=21642
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=14735
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=10547

www.aviationbuff.smugmug.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 28-Jun-11 03:48 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 28-Jun-11 08:41 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

“only claim is for 100 shots in the specs at 6fps, 12 or 14bit”

Only in JEPG not NEF (RAW)

From page 320 of the English manual for buffer capacity...

NEF 12 bit Lossless Compressed = 11 shots
NEF 14 bit Lossless Compressed = 10 shots

NEF 12 bit Compressed = 15 shots
NEF 12 bit Compressed = 12 shots

JEPG, fine, Large = 31

JEPG, Fine, Medium and all smaller file sizes
= 100

A fast card may allow you one or two shots beyond the stated buffer capacity before the frame rate slows but Gary is correct that the buffer capacity is the primary factor in how many shots you can get at max frame rate.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Yucel Registered since 28th Jun 2011Tue 28-Jun-11 05:59 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Shooting Raw uncompressed loss less, I found no additional shots in a rapid burst.

Only that you can shoot follow on shots more quickly, or perhaps if you are shooting short bursts.

You get 10 shots in full res mode, then ur full.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 28-Jun-11 08:40 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

Thank you Yucel! That is good info from real world testing.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Voyager6 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2010Tue 28-Jun-11 11:46 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 11

US

There are a few Youtube videos out there comparing the UHS-1 SD memory versus regular SD memory on a D7000. Most don't show much difference. ASlantedPin seems to have a good one.

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Wed 29-Jun-11 10:45 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 Buffer Memory??"
In response to Reply # 1

Mechanicsville, US

Please read the sticky at the top of the page, all will be revealed.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4469&mesg_id=4469&page=

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #195 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.