Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19293
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF L" Previous topic | Next topic
hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Sat 16-Jun-12 06:37 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF L"

kingsville, CA

Are there pros and or cons to using the AE/AF L button on the back of the cam to AF on ?? I believe doing this deactivates the focusing from the half shutter press for focusing. I think this is known as back button focusing. Iv e also heard there is a way to configure this that the back button ( AF L ) works in single servo mode then have your half shutter release work in continous mode ???? On another site several are of the opinion that this back focus button method produces more "keepers" in better focus . it this is possible it seems to be a quick way to focus static objects then swith to moving objects quickly .

Im not sure but it almost seems like more control compared to using AF-A

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AF L
tcerul
16th Jun 2012
GCDawn
16th Jun 2012
billr814
17th Jun 2012
keribang
17th Jun 2012
km6xz Moderator
17th Jun 2012
mdallie Silver Member
18th Jun 2012
keribang
18th Jun 2012
PAStime Silver Member
21st Jun 2012
beemerman2k Silver Member
18th Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
18th Jun 2012
jameskuzman
18th Jun 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
dbrook
19th Jun 2012
SteveH52
19th Jun 2012
hankwt Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
mdallie Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
kuzzy Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
13th Jul 2012
mdallie Silver Member
13th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
13th Jul 2012
mdallie Silver Member
14th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
14th Jul 2012
mdallie Silver Member
14th Jul 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
14th Jul 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
14th Jul 2012
mdallie Silver Member
15th Jul 2012
jalanb
16th Jul 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
16th Jul 2012
jalanb
17th Jul 2012

tcerul Basic MemberSat 16-Jun-12 11:25 PM
422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Hardy, US

For me it is all pros. My usual setup is AE/AF L button set to AF-ON, center focus point, continuous servo. Don't think it's possible to configure the back button to single servo mode and half shutter release in continuous mode. Also don't know why you would want to try it. With back button focus and continuous mode you get both. Press and release for single servo and press and hold for continuous. A secondary, and just as important advantage is separating focus and exposure.

Tom
From Beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sat 16-Jun-12 11:45 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

My suggestion would be to try it, stick with it for one week of daily practice sessions, and you will either love it and never want to shoot any other way, or you will hate it and that is the end of it. No usefulness to be able to switch back and forth in my opinion. Hard to get your thumb to switch! But then I find it so difficult to drive on the wrong side of the road so maybe it's just me.
Dawn.

billr814 Registered since 05th Dec 2011Sun 17-Jun-12 02:01 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 2

US

nice

keribang Registered since 20th Apr 2012Sun 17-Jun-12 02:11 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Kuala Lumpur, MY

Greetings,

I switched to back button focusing & never went back. For me being able to maintain focus of a fast moving object by pressing the back button is invaluable. Its hard (for me) to maintain continuous focus by half pressing the shutter button while panning or tracking moving objects around. I kept on mistakenly pressing the shutter all the way.

I also find it's easier to recompose using this technique, just push the button - release - recompose, instead of keeping half-shutter press and recompose.

I guess there are many reasons why Nikon pro dslr has a dedicated AF-On button at the back and I sometimes wonder why Nikon doesn't just put it on all their dslr.

Cheers

Karim

My Nikonians Gallery

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 17-Jun-12 04:10 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

Nikon probably is concerned that many users would not understand it and complain of not being able to activate AF. This way, a menu selection, solves that by defaulting to the shutter release button for both AF and release. The only problem with AF-On is letting anyone else use your camera requires instruction and confusion on the part of point and shooters. It is easy to switch back to shutter release activation of AF is someone is going to be shooting with your camera.
I have only let 1 person shoot my D7000 and no one shoot the D800, not because of fear of damage but because they naturally want to shoot my photo and THAT might damage my camera....or anyone else's camera.
The location of the Ael/Afl button is not great but it is easy to get used to. Adding the D7000 grip however makes the AF-on button in vertical orientation perfect. With a grip the D7000 is one of the best handling cameras available.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Mon 18-Jun-12 12:33 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

I've used back button focus for years on my Canon when I was shooting weddings, and now use it on my D7000. I thought I was going to go back to the shutter release focus on the D7000 but I was accidentally triggering the shutter too darn many times.

As was mentioned earlier, I use it in AF-C mode, and focus and recompose. It is great. But it does take some getting used to.

I also agree that one problem is you can't hand your camera over to someone else to take a picture of you. So I usually have my Canon S95 in my pocket and when I want someone to shoot a picture of me, I just pull the Canon out of my pocket (and they are usually disappointed that they don't get to shoot the D7k).

Mike

keribang Registered since 20th Apr 2012Mon 18-Jun-12 06:16 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 6

Kuala Lumpur, MY

Stan & Mike, agree! Your points are well taken, the 1 con with back button focusing is when others not familiar with it gonna use your camera.

I used to set back-focusing only for my U1 & U2 but left PSAM & Auto in 'normal' half shutter press focus. So I switched to these other modes when handing the camera to others. However later when I started with speedlight, I found I need to use Manual mode a bit more (my U1 - Shutter Priority & U2 - Aperture) and wished D7k have U3. So now I set everything to back-button focusing to utilize M & other modes but when handing over to others, I quickly change it via double pressing info button, navigate to AE/AF-L and set it to 'normal' and set it back later. Tedious but for me, easier than explaining etc.

>I have only let 1 person shoot my D7000 and no one shoot the D800,
>not because of fear of damage but because they naturally want to shoot
>my photo and THAT might damage my camera....or anyone else's camera.

Good one Stan; are you sure you show up on camera? Do you have strong dislike of garlic and came out only at night? Hahaha... Just kidding.

>when I want someone to
>shoot a picture of me, I just pull the Canon out of my pocket
>(and they are usually disappointed that they don't get to
>shoot the D7k).

Mike, a good idea coz I do carry my Fujifilm p&s around as well - it might smooth out my bad skin blemishes - D7k sharp focus & high MP bring those out too readily...

Cheers!

Karim

My Nikonians Gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 21-Jun-12 10:48 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>but when handing over to others, I quickly change it via
>double pressing info button, navigate to AE/AF-L and set it to
>'normal' and set it back later.

Yep, that works.

Or, if the conditions are right, set the camera to f8 or f11 and pre-focus on something at about the distance you need. Then hand the camera over.

Peter

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Mon 18-Jun-12 07:37 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

I have been using this setting for almost as long as I've had my camera. No going back, that's for sure. Nice.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Mon 18-Jun-12 10:30 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 8

Oeiras, PT

Joined this club last year and never looked back. My girlfriend was "forced" by me to use it on her D70s as well, and now she can't work other way.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

jameskuzman Registered since 14th May 2012Mon 18-Jun-12 02:29 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Windermere, US

Keeping in mind that I am still very new to my D7000, I'm experimenting with assigning exposure lock only to the AE/AF L button and focus lock to the front FN button.

That completely separates focus from exposure.

I don't know if this setup has any advantages/disadvantages when compared to setting it to AF On and using the AE/AF L button for focus - but I'll bet (i.e. I hope) someone will tell me

Jim

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Tue 19-Jun-12 07:12 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I tried that arrangement, but switched back to the other arrangement because with focus lock it's a two step process - focus with the shutter release and then remember to hold the FN button until you take the shot. With Focus On, which can only be assigned to the AE-L/AF-L button, you press once to focus which is then locked by simply removing your finger.

The only reason I tried it your way is because my left eye is dominant and using that eye on the view finder puts the AE-L button directly under the bridge of my nose requiring me to jam my finger in between to focus. That is tolerable for an occasional exposure lock, but a pain for focusing every exposure.

I'm now just trying to train myself to use my right eye on the view finder.

Visit my gallery.

dbrook Registered since 18th Apr 2012Tue 19-Jun-12 05:30 PM
#11. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I started using the AE/AF L button as AF On a couple weeks after I bought my D7000 and joined this group. Although it took a few days to get used to it, I found it was worth the effort and got used to it very quickly. The only problem I started to have was when I ran into a situation that I needed AE lock. I just assigned AE L to the FN button on the front and everything is great.

SteveH52 Registered since 25th May 2007Tue 19-Jun-12 08:02 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Brookfield, US

I always have my camera set for AF Button or Shutter but I find myself using the AF almost exclusively. The AF button is really useful when tracking a moving object...airshows come to mind.

The advantage is that when you use the AF Button to lock focus, the shutter seems to activate just a little bit quicker.

hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Tue 19-Jun-12 09:17 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 13

kingsville, CA

Lots of responses as i expected. am i correct in saying that if i push the AF-L button it will lock focus as in single servo mode If i want continuous I must hold the button ??? so cam must be set to AF-C for the above to be true or is my interpretation wrong ??

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 19-Jun-12 09:40 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 14

Novi, US

You are correct!

Mike

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Tue 19-Jun-12 10:04 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

FWIW, I use the back button for shooting action and the "default" set up for everything else. I started doing this because I am not shy about letting others use my camera at parties or events and would hand it to them forgetting that I had put it in back button focusing only to find many shots that others took ...surprise, surprise a blurry mess. I do like the back button a little more in general but find that for sports it really improves the number of shots in focus.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 13-Jul-12 08:04 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 16

Los Angeles, US

This is my 2nd post on this forum. I got the D7000 in April. Could somebody direct me to some literature with an explanation of back-button focusing? And are back focusing and back-button focusing two differing things?

The Nikon User Guide and Darrell Young's "Mastering D7000" books make no mention of either.

Hint. I don't do much action shooting because I can't walk around . My lenses are the 16-85mm and the 60mm G Micro. I'm thinking of getting 12-24 for interior shooting for which I'll be paid. And possibly a 70-200 or 70-300, though I truly can't justify it.

After reading a few of the threads here I note the even-handedness and care with which comments are tossed out there. So, where's a good rant when you want one, eh?

from foggy, drizzly Santa Monica.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Fri 13-Jul-12 08:39 PM
#19. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 18

Novi, US

Back focusing is when the focus is behind where you want it to be (e.g., mis-focused). Usually blamed on equipment, but often a result of a misunderstanding of the camera's focus system and how to use it.

Back button focus is a custom function you set so that you focus by hitting the AE-L button on the back of the camera instead of focusing by depressing the shutter release.

Mike

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 13-Jul-12 11:10 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 19

Los Angeles, US

The backbutton AE-L can initiate the focus? I thought it was to lock focus temporarily. And or exposure.

What's the advantage of that as opposed to the shutter button?

If this is complicated is there a resource I can read up on?

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sat 14-Jul-12 11:12 AM
#21. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 20

Novi, US

You set the back focus button by setting custom function F5 to AF ON. This is on page 232 of the manual.

I don't know if you have Thom Hogan's Guide to the D7000, but it is 800 pages on this camera. On p 409 he describes the approach under the section "The Pro Approach to Autofocus".

I started using this approach years ago. I found the quickest and most accurate way to focus was to put the center focus point on the spot where I want to focus. On an individual, that is often an eye. I find if I put the focus point on the spot I want to be in sharpest focus, hit that back button to get the focus, then move the camera to compose the shot, I get great focus and great composition easily. I also am set on AF-C. That way when I just touch the back button, I get single focus (equivalent of AF-S), but when I need continuous focusing, I just hold the button down. This way I am not constantly changing my focus mode.

I actually figured this out over a period of several months when I was shooting weddings with Canon equipment. When I first go the D7000, I had a lot of problems as I was going to focus by pushing the shutter release button half way, but I ended up taking a shot instead of just focusing. Once I set F5 to AF ON, I didn't have that problem any more.

It was later that I read Hogan's book, and it confirmed the wisdom of the approach.

BTW, in my earlier post, I mentioned about the back focus problems. I'm not saying there aren't cameras or lenses that are prone to back focus, but honestly I've never experienced it. I had a Canon lens/camera combo that many complained about was prone to back focus, and I never experienced the problem with that same equipment despite having taken 10,000 pictures. But then again, I spent many, many, hours learning and practicing my techniques and settings for focus, recompose, and shoot. It isn't as simple as it sounds and I put a lot into my focusing. When I got the D7000, there were a lot of options relative to setting up the focus system and I spent a TON of time understanding the focus options, trying the different ones, reading lots of books, etc. I think if you do that, you'll get something that works for you and will be very happy.

I will also say, though, that when you set up back button focus, don't expect you can hand off your camera to a stranger and say "can you take a picture of me and my wife?" That won't work. I keep a Canon S95 in my pocket and hand them that camera for those shots.

Mike

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 14-Jul-12 01:55 PM
#22. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 21

Los Angeles, US

Thanks. To summarize this then:
Adjust settings to AE-L Button AF-C,
Hold Briefly for AF-Mode
Hold Longer for AF-C Mode

How do I adjust Settings in Custom for Release vs. Focus action?
Am I correct in understanding that I still will use the Shutter Release for Capture?

So it seems that right thumb and right forefinger are put to use in this sequence. Right?

What about the Focus Lock switch below the AE-L button?

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sat 14-Jul-12 08:49 PM
#24. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 22

Novi, US

>Thanks. To summarize this then:
>Adjust settings to AE-L Button AF-C,
>Hold Briefly for AF-Mode
>Hold Longer for AF-C Mode
>
>How do I adjust Settings in Custom for Release vs. Focus
>action?
>Am I correct in understanding that I still will use the
>Shutter Release for Capture?
>
>So it seems that right thumb and right forefinger are put to
>use in this sequence. Right?

p232 of the manual will tell you how to set for back button focus and yes, you will still use the Shutter Release for capture and you will use the right thumb to trigger the focus and right forefinger to release the shutter.

Mike

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 14-Jul-12 08:47 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 21

HIXSON, US

>I will also say, though, that when you set up back button
>focus, don't expect you can hand off your camera to a stranger
>and say "can you take a picture of me and my wife?"
>That won't work. I keep a Canon S95 in my pocket and hand
>them that camera for those shots.
>

I try to have my Canon S95 along for all important shoots. Great complement to Nikon DSLRs

Charlie

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 14-Jul-12 09:20 PM
#25. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 23

Los Angeles, US

I got it. At these beginning stages of my learning I'm intent on learning METHODS that lead to SPEED. When I was shooting film for large publications I needed to be fast. And accurate at the same time.

Somewhere in the mid-80's I played around with a Minolta Maxxum AF film camera. It wasn't long before it became an extension of my body. The D7000 is vastly more complex, with so many options it almost leads to paralysis. Back button focus is a big step up for me.

Thanks for your help. I've got two Nikonian books already, and next week will send in my subscription for the Forum. It's a great asset.

gary curtis
santa monica

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 15-Jul-12 10:28 AM
#26. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 25

Novi, US

Gary,

When you talk about speed, back button focus is a definite plus. Last night I watched a one hour video of Scott Kelby on sports photography. I think we'd all agree that sports photographers have a greater need for speed than anyone.

Scott shared that virtually all sports photographers use back button focus. I think you'll enjoy it once you get used to it.

Mike

jalanb Registered since 12th Aug 2011Mon 16-Jul-12 08:32 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 26

GB

Sorry if I am going over old ground but am I correct in understanding that if the AEL/AFL button is set to AF-On then another button (Fn?) should be set to fix exposure (or will the shutter half way do this)?

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Mon 16-Jul-12 01:13 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 27

US

Pushing the shutter half way down will still set the exposure, but I also assign the FN button to AE-L (actually AE-L Hold) so I can lock the exposure when I want. With back button focus and AE-L Hold assigned to the FN button I have great flexibility in focusing, exposing, and composing the shot.

Visit my gallery.

jalanb Registered since 12th Aug 2011Tue 17-Jul-12 12:14 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: AF L"
In response to Reply # 28

GB

Thanks Chris.

I am going to put the AF on settings into U1 and give it a try.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #19293 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.