Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1901
View in linear mode

Subject: "Switch both body and lens to M" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Tue 16-Nov-10 07:38 AM
1462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Switch both body and lens to M"

Roland, US

A Q in lens forum made me wonder. Why do you need switch both on 7k with AF lenses? Manual page 99. Force of habit is more powerful than a locomotive.

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Switch both body and lens to M
briantilley Moderator
16th Nov 2010
blw Moderator
16th Nov 2010
benveniste Moderator
16th Nov 2010
Covey22 Moderator
16th Nov 2010
dankeny Gold Member
16th Nov 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 16-Nov-10 08:38 AM
28322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Switch both body and lens to M"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Not all "screwdriver" AF lenses have an AF/MF switch, and those that do, don't all behave the same.

To answer the question, on some AF lenses (the 180mm f/2.8D is one), the focus collar cannot be turned unless the lens is switched to MF, but with the lens in MF, turning the focus collar rotates the screwdriver clutch. That means the camera has to be switched to MF as well, otherwise the camera AF motor will be driven in reverse, with risk of damage.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 16-Nov-10 09:42 AM
26301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Switch both body and lens to M"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

This is a very annoying characteristic of this particular lens. Are there others? I haven't encountered any others.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Tue 16-Nov-10 03:19 PM
9344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Switch both body and lens to M"
In response to Reply # 2

Boston Area, US

There are a lot of annoying/awkward solutions implemented in screwdriver lenses.

I own Sigma, Tokina and Pentax lenses which use a clutch mechanism. If you pull back on the focus ring it engages autofocus, push forward for MF. Or perhaps it's the other way around on some or all of them -- I can never remember. Even worse, sometimes you have to turn the focus ring in order to get the clutch to engage and sometimes you don't.

The earliest 180mm f/2.8 AF lenses didn't have an A/M switch at all.

You don't have to sort of enhance reality. It is already pretty weird ... you know that there is nothing stranger than truth. Annie Leibovitz

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 16-Nov-10 05:23 PM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Switch both body and lens to M"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I moved to a Tokina 28-70 briefly before my first AFS lens which was the affordable 24-85 G. I thought the manual clutch was the coolest ergonomic design ever. On reflection, it's very instinctive as opposed to reaching to the side for a toggle switch.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Tue 16-Nov-10 11:32 AM
1462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Switch both body and lens to M"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

Oops! So it's lens dependent and I've been operating my 200 and 700 screw drives in reverse as well. Thankfully, risk of damage hasn't yet occurred and now I know better. Thanks B1 for splaining. And I'm with you, B2, annoying. Still, I'm willing to live with it on the 180 because it's so darn good.

David

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1901 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.