Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18933
View in linear mode

Subject: "back from Alaska" Previous topic | Next topic
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Thu 31-May-12 10:11 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"back from Alaska"

Sydney, AU

Just returned from Alaska cruise with family. It was most chalenging and difficult photography ever with disapointing results. Son with D7000 and 18-200 Nikkor, Granddaughter with D50 and 18-200 Sigma, I used D7000 and 18-200mm Nikkor, D80 and 10-24mm Nikkor. The sky was overcast white and mountains were also white. Constant light rain made visability poor. On D7000 I used manual settings and did not always compensate for brightness in snow and had lot of overexposed. My D80 was accidently turned to manual and had overexposed entire outing since I did not check since I gave priority to D7000. All taken in JPG.
At the glacier calving I photographed RAW but at critical time buffer was full and I had to wait. Grandaughter had good series of photos and son had his camera in video mode and got nothing. One thing I learned. The more you learn about photography more is to learn.
took 5000 photos, Son took 1500, Granddaughter 150. Winner was Granddaughter with series of glacier calving images.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: back from Alaska
luckyphoto Silver Member
31st May 2012
elec164 Silver Member
31st May 2012
billD80 Silver Member
31st May 2012
kippford Silver Member
31st May 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
31st May 2012
omarwiseman
31st May 2012
burchan Silver Member
31st May 2012
billD80 Silver Member
31st May 2012

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 31-May-12 02:03 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

You'll probably receive a lot of advice about how to shoot in those conditions, so I'll limit my post to these tips.

In difficult conditions always take a test shot or two to get the proper exposure. Look at the display screed and the histogram of the image to see what it looks like. If you're not getting the exposure you want, think about what kind of metering you're using and where in the photo the meter is getting it's information (Personally, I use spot metering most of the time so I can control what gets metered).

Regarding the buffer issue and for the future, plan ahead. If you want a lot of photos at 6 frames per second, you may want to consider shooting lower resolution JPEGs and use high transfer rate SDHC cards. That way you can take 20 - 30 frame bursts without slowing down the fps. Again, make sure you take some test shots so your exposure is correct.

I would also suggest getting a couple copies of Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" for you and your son (sounds like your Granddaughter already read it - just kidding) . It's available in the Nikonian's book store and on Amazon. Great book, fun to read and provides a lot of information about different exposure situations.

Good luck on your next trip.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 31-May-12 02:58 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>On D7000 I used manual settings and did not always compensate for
>brightness in snow and had lot of overexposed. My D80 was
>accidently turned to manual and had overexposed entire outing
>since I did not check since I gave priority to D7000. All
>taken in JPG.

To say the least, I am quite puzzled by these statements.

If the scene is predominantly high key (white/whiteish), then the tendency of the metering system would be to under, not over expose. So you either inadvertently had EC (exposure compensation)dialed in or you totally ignored the meter when setting shutter speed and aperture. Having said that, today’s Nikon Matrix metering does a fairly good job of recognizing high key scenes and compensates somewhat automatically, but I find I still need to add plus .3 to .7 EC. If using spot metering for a high key element, you may need to add as much as 2-stops of plus EC to get a correct exposure. Or if you are spot metering a shadow detail, you may need to add minus 2-stops of EC. You don’t provide any sample images or say what metering mode you were using, so it’s hard to say what if anything I just posted applies.

>Winner was Granddaughter with series of glacier calving images.

Most likely because she was using one of the Auto/Semi-Auto Exposure modes with Matrix metering and the camera did all of the exposure calculations for her. That’s just an educated guess on my part without sample images and more detailed information to go on.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 31-May-12 04:29 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 0

US

On
>D7000 I used manual settings and did not always compensate for
>brightness in snow and had lot of overexposed. My D80 was
>accidently turned to manual and had overexposed entire outing
>since I did not check since I gave priority to D7000. All
>taken in JPG.
>At the glacier calving I photographed RAW but at critical time
>buffer was full and I had to wait. Grandaughter had good
>series of photos and son had his camera in video mode and got
>nothing. One thing I learned. The more you learn about
>photography more is to learn.
>took 5000 photos, Son took 1500, Granddaughter 150. Winner was
>Granddaughter with series of glacier calving images.

Manual needs to be used with significant experience greater than the Matrix metering's incredible capability. It sounds like no one really knew how their cameras were set, which is a recipe for trouble, and is indicative of others things too.

5000 photos? That's an incredible number for a cruise. At any time in the 5000, were you able to view the LCD screen to assess if the results were satisfactory?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Thu 31-May-12 05:22 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 3

falkirk, GB

All your previous posts have been about problems with the camera. Have you been happy with it at any time?

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 31-May-12 06:56 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

I was in Alaska last year with a new D5100. I rapidly learned that Aspect Ratio was the only way to go with that camera. So I have been using A most of the time on my D7000. Will work on other modes. The Rocky Mountain School of Photography teaches a Zone system when shooting manual. I think it would have been helpful in the conditions you describe.

The thing I would really like to address is the problem with buffering. I have a fairly new D7000. I use two SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC memory cards. They are expensive, but cheaper than having to go back to Alaska to get those missed shots.

I recently shot a track meet. I shot 916 photos in less than two hours. I was shooting continuous at the highest rate. I shoot RAW+Fine. I put the RAW on Card-1 & the Large Fine jpegs on Card-2. I have yet to find an expert to recommend doing that, but it works for me. I never had one single buffer problem, and I shot as many as 15 frames in a burst. Amazingly, my battery didn't even lose one bar. It was at 89% left at the end of the shoot.

Personally after a wedding shoot (I keep saying I'll never do another one), the track shoot, and some group photos for the local paper, I have to give the D7000 a Big Thumbs Up!

omarwiseman Registered since 08th Oct 2010Thu 31-May-12 08:44 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The Weather on the inland passage cruise and across Alaska can be a blessing or a bomb. I made the trip last May and carried a 7000 with a 18-200 and a monopod and shot RAW to be able to post process any glitches. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 5 years and overcast was the norm and so I prepped for the cloudy/rainy Pacific Northwest. As it turned out I was blessed with no rain and blue skys for the cruise and Denali came out of the clouds on the land portion- even got a midnight shot.

Sorry you were weathered out as it is close to impossible to plan a blue sky trip to that area.

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Thu 31-May-12 09:41 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 6

Sydney, AU

Before the trip camera was serviced at Nikon just to give me confidence. Focus was readjusted and sensor cleaned. Since then camera performed well. Alaska weather was bleak, Skagway white pass rail trip conditions were changing. I set my camera at centre weighted metering. Once we got to snow line I compensated manual settings when ISO value was displayed in black even when histogram was still in middle. I had to maintain ISO above minimum value (red display) by increasing shutter speed. I ended with few overexposed photos when ISO was at minimum. Now I think that I should not have used manual mode at all as it needs constant readjustments. As far as pictures taken I made nice picture show with music for DVD and that was my main intention.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 31-May-12 10:42 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: back from Alaska"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Before the trip camera was serviced at Nikon just to give me
>confidence. Focus was readjusted and sensor cleaned. Since
>then camera performed well. Alaska weather was bleak, Skagway
>white pass rail trip conditions were changing. I set my camera
>at centre weighted metering. Once we got to snow line I
>compensated manual settings when ISO value was displayed in
>black even when histogram was still in middle. I had to
>maintain ISO above minimum value (red display) by increasing
>shutter speed. I ended with few overexposed photos when ISO
>was at minimum. Now I think that I should not have used manual
>mode at all as it needs constant readjustments. As far as
>pictures taken I made nice picture show with music for DVD and
>that was my main intention.
>

May I suggest that you sit down with an experienced photographer to go over what the various settings on a camera actually mean. Just a basic class, which will cost far, far less than a D7000, and yield tremendous results.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18933 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.