Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18887
View in linear mode

Subject: "Video Question" Previous topic | Next topic
DaynLarz Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Mon 28-May-12 10:27 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Video Question"

Blue Springs, US

I'm exploring the video capabilities of the D7000. Have shot some video with it, but mostly not with a great deal of knowledge about the features or how to set it up. Anyone have a procedure or checklist that they use in setting up the camera and shooting video? I do have the Nikon external mic and have a Hoodman Loupe that I am using for the viewfinder. Beyond that, want to keep things simple.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.

Dayn Cederstrom
Blue Springs, MO

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Video Question
PAStime Silver Member
29th May 2012
PerroneFord Silver Member
29th May 2012
DaynLarz Silver Member
31st May 2012
PerroneFord Silver Member
01st Jun 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
01st Jun 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
01st Jun 2012
PAStime Silver Member
02nd Jun 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
04th Jun 2012
PAStime Silver Member
06th Jun 2012

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 29-May-12 12:52 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Good question Dayne as I'am interested in this too. I rarely shoot video, but when I have, I have put the camera in "Auto" mode and pushed the record button. That is so uncharacteristically me (I'm an A and M mode still image shooter). Peter

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Tue 29-May-12 03:58 AM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

The problem with video, especially on DSLRs, is that people always want to keep it "simple". And frankly, it's anything but. Short of using dedicated motion picture cinema cameras, DSLRs are the most complex video machines out there. Video is inherently harder than stills. I try to explain it to people this way...

Imagine yourself with a stills camera. You press the shutter release. Now you have to focus manually, adjust exposure manually, compose, and the camera is always moving. Oh, and you're shooting 24-30fps and there is no ability to go in and remove bad frames. You make a manual focus mistake, it's there for the world to see. Blow the exposure... sorry that's the breaks. Got that horizon tilted while you panned the camera by hand? Too bad.

If you want "easy", you'd do yourself a great service by going and picking up an inexpensive handycam for a few hundred bucks. They are a TON more forgiving than DSLRs. DSLRs are the domain of the budding filmmaker, or the film student. They are not "easy" video cameras. At least not yet.

I don't say this to be mean or harsh. I've shot 3 independent films, two on DSLR, and believe me, it's anything but easy.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DaynLarz Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2007Thu 31-May-12 11:56 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Blue Springs, US

Harsh? No. Condescending? Yes.

If I want 'easy' I'll use my Coolpix L22. Way easy!

By keeping it simple I do not wish to buy a lot of extraneous equipment, i.e. slide rails, etc. Not looking to produce the likes of the sample videos for the D7000 and the D800 on the Nikon site. But when I am hiking I would like to be able to video a scene without toting a ton of equipment beyond my tripod and the 2 piece I mentioned above.

The D7000 and other DSLR's are made to take video standing alone. Surely there must be a guide getting started in video using this 'simple' set-up!

Dayn Cederstrom
Blue Springs, MO

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Fri 01-Jun-12 05:46 AM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Tallahassee, US

>Harsh? No. Condescending? Yes.

My apologies for that. However, with no idea of your background in video, no idea how you planned to use the video, what equipment you owned or intended to buy to shoot the video, I did the best I could.

>
>If I want 'easy' I'll use my Coolpix L22. Way easy!

Ok.

>when I am hiking I would like to be able to
>video a scene without toting a ton of equipment beyond my
>tripod and the 2 piece I mentioned above.

Ok, this bit of information is critical to understanding your intended use and how best to give you advice.

>The D7000 and other DSLR's are made to take video standing
>alone.

To some degree this is true. However, the truth is that without a few pieces of gear, the results are usually quite poor.

>Surely there must be a guide getting started in video
>using this 'simple' set-up!

While I am sure there is probably a book or guide out there, much of the DSLR video community utilizes forums to discuss things such as this. Much of it is Canon dominated since those cameras are far more widely used than the Nikons, but the fundamentals are the same.

You might check out DVInfo, DVXUser, or even the Vimeo forums. You'll find users there from beginners to seasoned pros.

I wish you the best with your video experience, and again I am sorry for seeming condescending to you.

>
>Dayn Cederstrom
>Blue Springs, MO

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 01-Jun-12 11:37 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hi Dayne,

I've tried video a few times just to become familiar with the operation; ok but not good. Go into the forums and under "Master your tools" at the bottom there is a forum discussing video. Perhaps there you can get some additional ideas. Good Luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 01-Jun-12 01:11 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

To your original request, here's a quick You Tube of suggested video settings and a bit about the limitations of video on the D7000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDWlFV_LcA

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 02-Jun-12 03:40 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 02-Jun-12 03:43 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDWlFV_LcA

Interesting link, thanks. She has a part 2 video where she clarifies what can be set in Live View.

So it would seem to shoot video with some control and a lens without an aperture ring:

- set menu to "on" for video manual control
- set camera to manual (M) exposure mode
- set AF to manual focus (this is a personal preference)
- set aperture before entering Live View (changes while in Live View don't actually do anything until you exit and re-enter Live View)
- check for appropriate exposure while out of Live View; do this by looking at exposure meter in viewfinder and adjusting ISO/aperture/shutter
- enter into Live View mode
- feel free to adjust shutter speed and ISO while in Live View
- focus on subject (optionally by zooming in with Live View)
- start shooting video and adjust focus as necessary while shooting video

Peter

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 04-Jun-12 03:40 PM
611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Good day, Dayn.
I've tried taking some video with my D7000, too, and was a little disappointed with my initial attempts for one simple reason: I did not use a tripod. Talk about shaky. So my main accessory is my tripod when I take DSLR videos even when using a VR lens like my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRI.
I like Peter's check list, too.
Let us know how you make out with your next video projects.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 06-Jun-12 05:44 AM
#9. "RE: Video Question"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 06-Jun-12 05:46 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

I used the method I described to shoot some 45 year old 8mm family films projected onto a screen with an old Bell & Howell projector. Worked quite well! I used my 70-200 VRII on my D7000 as that gave me the right focal length and focus distance for the approximately 1 foot in diameter projected image. There is a bit of keystoning because the projector lens and camera lens can't be in the exact same physical space/lens axis. I set my D7000 shutter speed to 1/50s and then used the fine speed control on the project to slow down and eventually eliminate the flickering/banding. These films have no sound track so I shut off the mic on the D7000 (that is an available menu item).

Peter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18887 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.