Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18614
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" Previous topic | Next topic
wills Registered since 13th May 2012Sun 13-May-12 12:36 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"

GB

Hi there all!

I recently bought a D7000, moving from a canon eos 40D.

Pleased with it so far I think. However something is baffling me about the camera. I read up on AF-A, AF-S and AF-C modes and understand the functionality no problem.

The issue I am having is with auto focus and subsequent shutter release, when pressing the shutter release button. Let me explain a little more...

I have my AE-L / AF-L button o the back assigned to AF-ON in custom functions. I find this a more convenient way of focusing the camera. So if I am in AF-A mode with metering set to all 39 points AUTO, I sometimes find after pressing the AF-ON button to focus, and releasing it, that the shutter release button does nothing when pressed. All I see is the top lcd display flashing R08 in the bottom right.

However if I keep the AF-ON button held in and then pres the shutter release, it always takes the shot. I don't understand this behaviour, since it will take the majority of the time when I don't have it held in.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I suspect if I didn't have AF-ON button dedicated I wouldn't be having this issue, but I like the camera set that way.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue
elec164 Silver Member
13th May 2012
wills
13th May 2012
elec164 Silver Member
13th May 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
14th May 2012
wills
14th May 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
25th May 2012
jadiniz
25th May 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 13-May-12 01:00 PM
1983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Generally I don't use BBF, but I have an idea of what could be happening.

AF-A by default starts out as AF-S. AF-S by default is set to focus priority release mode. If you momentarily press the AF-on button, but don't achieve focus lock then the shutter will not fire. By holding the AF-on button steadily you without realizing it are allowing it to now achieve focus lock which will allow the shutter to fire.

You can check if focus lock is achieved by observing the green dot in the bottom left of the viewfinder display.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wills Registered since 13th May 2012Sun 13-May-12 01:07 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

OK, I'll try to confirm whether that is what is going on.

As as aside, I have also noticed that when in AF-S mode, you can only select either the ful 39 point auto or 1 single point of focus with the sub command dial.

This is the case yes? Not a weird fault with my camera?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 13-May-12 07:54 PM
1983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>when in AF-S mode, you can only select either the ful 39 point auto or 1 single point
>
>This is the case yes? Not a weird fault with my camera?

This is the case, no weird fault.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Mon 14-May-12 04:15 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I was playing with AF-ON and AF-C mode today and had a similar experience.

Custom settings A1 and A2 let you change the shutter release behavior. If you set them both to Release, the camera will always release the shutter when you press the shutter button regardless of whether you have locked focus or not. A1 is for AF-C mode and A2 is for AF-S mode.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

wills Registered since 13th May 2012Mon 14-May-12 01:36 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Yes i only experience the issue with the shutter release button in af-a mode. I already have the release priority set for af-s and af-c. Odd really, my canon never did this! Just a quirk though. Still love the d7000.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Fri 25-May-12 12:42 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 25-May-12 12:43 AM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

My best advice is to work your way out of using AF-A as soon as possible. It often results in blurry images because the camera takes its best guess at what you want to focus on, which as often as not is the wrong subject!

Use AF-C and AF-S and choose your own focus points

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 25-May-12 08:18 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue"
In response to Reply # 6

Estoril, PT

Best settings for this kind of operation on back button AF-ON are AF-Continuos mode, and release priority. That way, according to how you use the button, you can mimick both AF-C and AF-S without having to change anything. Plus, I set my points to 9, pad-selectable, to allow some degree of tracking latitude when using AF-C.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18614 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.