Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18509
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using camera in the rain" Previous topic | Next topic
robbieswan Registered since 12th Dec 2011Mon 07-May-12 06:26 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using camera in the rain"

GB

Am I able to use my D7000 in the rain without worrying it will harm the camera please?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using camera in the rain
JosephK Silver Member
07th May 2012
kentak Silver Member
07th May 2012
gbowen Gold Member
07th May 2012
blw Moderator
07th May 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
09th May 2012
blw Moderator
16th May 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
17th Jun 2012
Vlad_IT Silver Member
16th May 2012
Vlad_IT Silver Member
08th May 2012
ericbowles Moderator
08th May 2012
kentak Silver Member
08th May 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
08th May 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th May 2012
Omaha
10th May 2012
mborn1 Silver Member
10th May 2012
T_Gordon
16th May 2012
jdphotos
13th Jun 2012
Fabien65
13th Jun 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
15th Jun 2012
Fabien65
16th Jun 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
Devek Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 07-May-12 07:14 PM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Depends on what kind of rain you are talking about.

As a guideline, I figure the camera should have the same level of rain protection that I am wearing.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 07-May-12 08:31 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Am I able to use my D7000 in the rain without worrying it
>will harm the camera please?

If anyone here says you can use your D7000 in the rain without harm, ask them if they'll personally cough up the cost of the repair bill if harm is done.

'Nuff said.

Kent

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 07-May-12 11:14 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

No way I would. No photo is worth ruining equipment I cannot afford to replace, unless said shot was worth big $$$.

George

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 07-May-12 11:39 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

All of the Nikon bodies are better protected than most people think, but I have ThinkTank HydroPhobia rain covers that go on any time the conditions go bad. Prior to having these, I have gotten various Nikon gear through rain, snow, sand storms and various other problems. But the rain covers make almost any trip with me and I don't take too many chances. They seem expensive at $130 but compare that with the price of a trip to Nikon and it doesn't seem so expensive. With the rain covers on, I've shot in pouring rain, up to an inch per hour, and lived to tell about it. An inch per hour is one heck of a lot of water. I was pretty wet from the waist down, and my raincoat was pretty marginal - but the cameras were dry.
The problem is that Nikon claim that its gear are weather-protected. But if they find water inside, they tell you it's your problem.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Wed 09-May-12 01:43 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Brian, would the Hydrophobia Flash 70-200 be a good choice for the 7000? I think I'm going to make this investment.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 16-May-12 08:37 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 9

Richmond, US

Yes, although I'd think carefully about with or without flash. Do you really use shoe-mount flash a lot in the rain?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 17-Jun-12 09:16 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>Yes, although I'd think carefully about with or without
>flash. Do you really use shoe-mount flash a lot in the rain?
>
>

Yeesh, forgot about this thread.

Thanks Brian, appreciate the input. You do have a good point (as always) about the flash.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Wed 16-May-12 08:45 PM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Brian has a good point. I would not paid of attention to it. Most of the time flash will ruine the rain picture, as light will reflects from rain trops back to the lens.

Best regards,
Vlad

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Tue 08-May-12 03:28 PM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Last year I watched several (YouTube’s ???) videos, showing D7000 going thru moderate rain and even shower and functioning immediately after that. I (we) do not know long term effects after such actions, but i think even moderate rain is quite safe as long as rubber seals are tight in place and camera is “normal” shooting position and not front or back up. Shower water, on other hand, is under the pressure and potentially as harmful as submersion of camera under the water.

The good news though, I read someplace that the camera had a plunge into the bathtub for 1-2 seconds with 18-55 lens, the guy pulled it out and immediately turned the lens down, removed the lens keeping the camera down and worked with the towels to try excessive water from the camera’s sides. The lens was wasted, but the camera DID NOT have any damage, including long term damage, like “fogging”.

So it can take some abuse or at least accidental rain.

Best regards,
Vlad

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 08-May-12 06:22 PM
8475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

A light shower and a few drops probably won't matter. But you need to use appropriate caution. Heavy rain or submersion is a roll of the dice and a good way to ruin the camera.

The D7000 has some protection against elements, but water is still a problem. Each of the buttons on the camera is simply protected by a small amount of rubber but no real seal. The battery compartment is particularly vulnerable. The other problem area is under the lap on the side of the camera. My experience is the side flap is fine, but does not fit securely.

I had a D300 that dropped in a small amount of water for a second or two resulting in a $325 repair. I've used the same camera in the rain with the Storm Jacket and had no issues. I've also used the camera in light rain with no protection and had no issues. I keep a Storm Jacket clipped to my pack all the time. The D300 has better water protection than the D7000.

If the camera gets wet it is important to blot rather than wipe of water. Wiping can force water into the camera. Be very careful with your lenses - especially lenses that extend to zoom or focus. It's easy to suck water into the lens barrel when it moves.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 08-May-12 07:51 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Eric,

I think you're exactly right. The OP's question seemed to be asking if the camera could be *used* in the rain without worry--meaning, "Can I expose my camera to the rain when shooting and not worry about water damage?"

The only correct answer to that question is, "No."

The D7000 manual states that the camera is not waterproof and that moisture in the camera can damage it. It's true that a brief accidental exposure to rain *probably* won't be harmful, but no one should bet their camera on dodging that bullet.

Kent

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Tue 08-May-12 07:27 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-May-12 08:01 PM by ChrisPlatt

US

I have some confidence in the weather sealing on the camera. I have no confidence in the weather sealing on my lenses. Some higher-end lenses, may have good sealing. If you have third party or consumer grade lenses as I do - there is generally no weather sealing.

It's best to protect the "system" from rain. Fortunately for my camera and lenses, I don't like to shoot in the rain.

Visit my gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 09-May-12 04:08 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Not only do you need to worry about the camera you have to consider the lens.

It is much harder to seal turning parts long sliding parts than a button that moves less than 2 mm.

You also have to be careful when drying the camera and lens so as not to cause the water to run under other parts.

Moose Peterson has explained that one should blot the water from the camera and not wipe the water from the camera. Wiping will break the surface tension that is causing the water to bead. Once you break that beading the water flows every were and lenses have a lot of rotating and long sliding parts so water can easily get inside a lens.

You may also need a drying system like silica gel or a warming box go draw any water or water vapor out of the camera a lens.

Long term excessive moisture in a lens could lead to fungi or mold within the lens.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 10-May-12 01:59 AM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 10

Omaha, US

I don't think there's a single answer.

What's the shot worth to you? Worst case scenario, can you afford to replace the gear if it gets stacked?

I love shooting in the rain. I love the look. I try to keep the camera as dry as I can, but in the end, its not like I expect it to last forever anyway.

YMMV.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Thu 10-May-12 10:57 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

There are many raion covers on the market and you can use a plastic bag. for my long lenses I use a Lens Coat RainCoat both models depending on what lens I an using it covers the camera and has a side sleeve so you can activate the dials. I have used it in Alaska in a wind driven rain and just yesterday in Delaware inthe rain and my camer and lens stayed dry

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

T_Gordon Registered since 20th Apr 2008Wed 16-May-12 06:49 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 16-May-12 06:52 PM by T_Gordon

US

I've used mine in moderate rain a handful of times with no issues. Being in the rain wasn't intended but it snuck up on me.

Here's an example of one shot I took in the rain. The shadows of the building shows how much it was raining well.

http://www.divine-captures.com/Other/Rustic/i-JZBBQTG/0/L/DSC2776small-L.jpg

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 04:46 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Admire your courage and wok, T_Gordon, but still a bit worried about the semi-sealed body and not-well-sealed lens.

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 12:04 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 16

FR

I recently purchased the Nikkor 70 300 to shoot my son playing football.
As I live in the north of France, the weather is often rainy..last month, I had the opportunity to shoot him under a heavy downpour and I used a large umbrella to do it.
That’s not easy to handle the camera and the umbrella in the same time, but once home, I was very satisfied with the results because I got very amazing pictures. As the light was quite low and dull, I increased the iso to 800 / 1000 and that was not an issue with the D7000.
D7000 / Nikkor 70- 300 is a very good combo to shoot football.
Fabien.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Fri 15-Jun-12 10:17 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 17

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Allo Fabien!
Could you show us a shot or two of you son playing soccer in the rain?
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Sat 16-Jun-12 07:17 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat 16-Jun-12 07:19 AM by Fabien65

FR

Hi Neill,

Just because i don't want to show my son's face on the internet ( or my son’s friends..), my choices are very limited, but I have found two pictures of a famous day under the rain:
(It was at the beginning of spring..)

The first one, waiting for action…we can feel how the downpour was cold…

And the second one: action!

I was quite far away from the action, but the D7000 + 70 300 VR gives us the possibility to get this kind of details even if the light’s conditions are very bad.

cheers, Fabien.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 02-Jul-12 02:12 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 19

Monterey Bay, US

We shoot Events.
I've shot in the rain many times and hate it!
For me it is just plain drisserable and I avoid it at all cost.
Over the years, nearly all my equipment has been drenched with no damage what-so-ever.

You can use a ziplock bag around the camera and snug around the lens.
An umbrella is better and a pop up canopy much better
Some lens like the 70-200 seal better than others like the 80-400.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 02-Jul-12 02:38 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 21

Jamison, US

I am originally from the north of England. You have to learn to shoot in the rain haha

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 02-Jul-12 07:06 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Jul-12 07:15 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

I use a storm Jacket. .

I just looked and at B&H they are 27.50
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=572336&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I also keep a wash cloth in the bag to blot any drops on my camera or lens. Also keep your hood on, it helps hold the storm jacket and keep rain or snow off lens. Keep lens paper or a lens cloth available as you may need to remove water drops.

I keep silica packets in my camera cabinet at home and in my bag. My friends and family collect them for me when they buy things like shoes and bags. They look like little salt packets but say "Dont eat me" on them.

I used a plastic bag from the grocery store, during the below game but it was not pretty.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Devek Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2012Tue 03-Jul-12 07:02 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Using camera in the rain"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I personally would prefer to test the camera in the rain than in a dust storm....

I was in Canyon X in northern Arizona desert a month ago and I lost a $500 lens when a cloud of very fine dust attacked the group of photographers... It brought the cameras to a halt....

Another photographer had a major damage to his D4 on that trip.

I chase lightnings during the Monsoon season and have no problem going out in LIGHT rain to shoot before it gets too close to comfort....

---
D800, D7000

My Website: www.DevekMaga.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18509 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.