Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1840
View in linear mode

Subject: "Travels with the D700" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
billco Registered since 29th Jan 2009Sun 14-Nov-10 01:22 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Travels with the D700"

Granite Bay, US

I am planning a trip to Europe (Italy for 17 days) next year and have been spending some time over on the Leica forum where I am getting plenty of encouragement to dump my heavy old DSLR (and a lot of money) in favor of a M9.

Anyway...can anyone here share their experiences of traveling with an admittedly heave D700 and 24/70 lens. Was it a hassle? Was it totally worth it? Did you find yourself leaving it behind in the hotel at times, etc. ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill C.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 14-Nov-10 02:26 AM
26541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Travels with the D700"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Much depends on your tastes. I have been traveling with a D2h/D2x/D3 for the past five years, and that's been OK with me. I tend to use relatively extreme lenses, especially compared to a rangefinder: these days my travel kit is a 28-105, 180/f2.8 and possibly a 15/f2.8 or 8/f4 fisheye. A lot of that is beyond what one would shoot with a rangefinder. Sometimes I take a 500/f8 too, and I haven't been sorry for that very often. Until I got the 28-105 I sometimes took the 24-70/f2.8 and either a 90/f2.8 Macro or 55/f2.8 Micro. If I don't have time for shooting - which happens sometimes when the trip is really a business trip - I leave a lot of it behind and just take the first two, but if I were going on a trip like what you describe, some interesting period of time would be scheduled for serious photography.

There are other times when I consider getting an M9 too - in fact I'm dangerously close to a much less expensive Voightlander R3a and a couple of fast lenses (35/f1.4, 75/f1.8). But that's an add, not a replace, especially since that would be film.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 14-Nov-10 04:44 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Travels with the D700"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Please post responses in in this duplicate thread in the D700 forum.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1840 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.