Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1825
View in linear mode

Subject: "Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 13-Nov-10 07:00 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"

US

Right now, I capture and sell images from a D200/MB-D200... camera purchases are things I do with a good deal of forethought.

I've long assumed I'd trade up to a D400, because of truly faster/better focus, truly better high ISO, and lastly, significant increase in MP'S... I didn't think a 1-generation improvement would be enough.

I bought the D200 because of the more hefty, weather sealed body, over against the D80. The D400 (or whatever it's going to be named) would likely retain weather sealing).

BUT the D7000 seems really phenomenal, at a great price, and I'm not so sure an eventual D400 level body is somthing I really need. The D7000 has the magnesium chassis, and given the size and battery life, I might forego a battery grip altogether...

Should I just make the jump now for the D7000? It means SD over CF cards, but wow, it seems like a whole lot of camera. What might the D400 have that the D7000 won't?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?
intrepidnz
13th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
13th Nov 2010
jameso Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
16th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Nov 2010

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sat 13-Nov-10 08:20 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

Well, I might be a little greedy myself but I might try and go for both!

I have the D300 now and its an excellent camera but these news camerws are another level of teechnology so will happily upgrade if the new camerwas are that much better than the current range.

I miss having a camera around when the D300 gos in for servicing, which can takes weeks so I need a back up camera. IN the longer term, that will be the D7k. Once the D400 comes out, I will also go for that and that will become the main camera. The D7k will become my second and back up camera but will have the macro lens permanently attached to it.

Well, that's the plan so will see how it goes. One camerwa just isn't enough for me!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 14-Nov-10 02:25 PM
4183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 1

Alberta, CA

I am similar to Ross (IntrepidNZ), I plan to get the D400 also and the D7000 will then play a specific role being my 70-200 camera (with/without TCs).

I don't have a ton of D7000 shooting under my belt yet but it does seem pretty good so far. AF is responsive and the fact that it includes AF fine-tune is vital for my uses.

I do find the 35 points restrictive compared to my 51 points in my D300. But coming from a D200 35 would be a leg up wouldn't it? Because I constantly move the selected AF point all over the frame I would like even more frame coverage (70 points?).

Thom implies a new much more advanced D4/D400 AF system is coming, but perhaps not until fall 2011, so timing may be a concern to you. Personally I also wonder if the D400 will have a new Nikon sensor, different than the Sony-based one in the D7000, and maybe just maybe with the D3S special sauce? ISO performance of the D7000 seems good but unlike my D700 requires careful post processing if shooting raw so as not to sharpen any noise.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 13-Nov-10 08:29 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I would read through this spirited thread that started in answer to the same/similar question: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=255&mesg_id=255&page=5

Jason

jameso Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2007Mon 15-Nov-10 08:59 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

A couple of people in this thread and other similar threads have said that they felt the D400 would have a similar sensor to the D7000 for a number of reasons including the fact that the D90 has the same sensor as the D300. I believe there are other similar examples (doesn't the D700 have the same sensor as the D3?).

But don't the cheaper little brothers usually follow the release of the more expensive version? Is there a precedent for the other way around?

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 15-Nov-10 11:41 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

The D90 came out after the more expensive D300 but before the even more expensive D300s.

Jason

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 16-Nov-10 12:02 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks for the feedback and link to an earlier thread.

One would assume a D400 would have the same sensor, but I just don't think I'd need the additional sealing, AF points, CF card option, or battery pack grip I now use.

The D7000 is just SO much more than I have now, and at $1100 vs. $1600. (not including an MB-D400), I think I'm going to go in the D7K direction.

Probably will hold one first though...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 16-Nov-10 12:28 AM
4183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Go for a D7000 or wait for a D400?"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Your question is a good one. It just seems that the mould is a broken one (trying to gauge Nikon's next model releases based on their past release pattern. I submit the following anecdotes and schools of thought:

- D400 "should have" come out before D7000;

- where is the D3S sensor in a smaller body? And also the D3X?

- D3100 said to have a pure (than usual) Nikon-only sensor;

- Thom Hogan heard their were up to 3 different sensors in the running for inclusion in the D7000 including two Nikon ones and the current Sony-based model. But the Nikon ones were not ready. Could they be ready in time for the D400?

- some rumor folks say there won't ever be a D400 or that if there is it will be full frame. Or that it will be a pro-sided body!

- is Nikon really about to leave the D3S sensor in the rubbish pile of history and include a higher megapixel but less light sensitive one in the D4?

- talk that Nikon and Sony are "getting a divorce" and therefore future sensors are going to be pure(r) Nikon ones.

- talk that D3X sensor was a one-time only offering and will not come out in ANY other camera.

- talk that there definitely will be a D700S/X/800/900 and that it is just around the corner and it will definitely have a 12/18/24 sensor

Anyhow I say all this only to indicate that these seem to be exceedingly tough times to predict based on past performance. Sounds like my mutual funds

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1825 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.