Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18247
View in linear mode

Subject: "Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium" Previous topic | Next topic
AKsnowhare Registered since 16th Mar 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 06:08 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"

US

This Saturday I am going to take photos of a roller derby bout inside a gymnasium.

I have shot this location one time before with my d60 and a sigma 18 -200 3.5-5.6

I was really not happy with my results. I have since purchased a new d7000. Fearing that the camera alone would not be enough I have also rented a 70-200 2.8 vr II for the day.

I really enjoy shooting pictures of these derby girls and want to get the best shots for them that I can. I plan to shoot in shutter priority at an ISO of at least 800. AF-C and spot metering. I also will be using continuous high for my shutter mode.

What do you all think of this plan? Is there anything you would recommend to change? I am unsure of the type of overhead light but the walls are partially open so there is quite a bit of natural light mixed in.

There is an example of what I was getting there last time in my gallery.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium
Lempa
26th Apr 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
26th Apr 2012
hawaii502160
26th Apr 2012
AKsnowhare
27th Apr 2012
Omaha
27th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
27th Apr 2012
Lempa
30th Apr 2012

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Thu 26-Apr-12 10:20 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-Apr-12 08:11 PM by Lempa

Malmö, SE

Hi!
I have been to two Roller Derby Bouts in all. First time I just set up and mixed a sound system for announcers and DJ´s as a favour as I'm actually a sound engineer, and a colleague of mines wife is a player of a Swedish team here. Great game and joy indeed! Second time around I acted photographer for the team and was allocated to the press area. Unfortunately that wasn't the best spot to be at this international derby (London En-Malmö Sw)...

I made like 1300 exposures as I'm really not a sports photographer, and I found it to be very challenging taking pictures with fast (and for me) unpredictable action going on indoors. The venue was in a sports arena with just florescent light. I started out with aperture priority mode with some exposure compensation for the bright floor (like an ice rink), but that didn't really work out. As the light was constant and very even I choose to go manual exposure instead. Worked very well I must say.

So here are my thoughts:
Try to position you to shoot at either into an apex, or out of it. If possible, do both. The D7000 and the lens you hired are going to make a great combination and as made for an event like this, but keep the other lens you have (and a flash) in your pocket for team photos etc if you need to go wider. Keep the exposure time at 1/250 or shorter when the game is on. Aperture at the widest opening will make the DOF quite narrow, so if you can, stop it down a step or two. Raise the ISO if you can't get proper exposures at these settings. I would suggest to try use manual. Whatever exposure mode you choose, I would not recommend spot metering in this case, even if that is what I use 95% in my normal shooting. Matrix would probably do a better job here. Try to pan with the rollers when shooting (suppose this is nothing new to you as a sport photographer). Continuous AF (AF-C) is a great choice, but go for 9 or single point AF.

Suppose a true sports shooter can give you some more and better advice on the subject.

Good luck!
/Timmy

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 26-Apr-12 12:36 PM
744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Just a couple of other potential tips.

In the mixed lighting, you might want to shoot a grey card to get the best white balance for the arena and you should consider using a mono-pod.

I would sacrifice a bit of ISO speed for shutter and aperture benefits such as 1/250 and possibly up to f4. Proper exposure will be one of your best defenses against noise. Noise can be offset somewhat with the right software in post processing, assuming you shoot in RAW.

Good luck and have fun.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Thu 26-Apr-12 01:03 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 0

Cleveland, US

It's my understanding that using a gray card isn't the best solution if you have "cycling" lights. If you shoot a burst, the white balance is going to be constantly changing as the lights cycle.

When I'm shooting basketball, I shoot in manual mode @ f/2.8, and typically around 1/320 shutter speed due to the lighting in our home gym. I also set "auto" ISO with the maximum set to 6400 ISO. I also use matrix metering and AF-C set to 9 point.

AKsnowhare Registered since 16th Mar 2012Fri 27-Apr-12 01:10 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 3

US

thanks for the inputs. It looks like daylight will be less of an issue as the bout doesn't start until 6PM. I just have to contend with sunset. But after that is should be all gravy.

I did go out and rent a mono-pod for the day to go with the 70-200. For six bucks I couldn't resist.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 27-Apr-12 05:01 AM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 4

Omaha, US

The only think I'd add, and me being a noob take this for what its worth, but I've recently come to the view that in challenging light situations with the D7000, I'm better off underexposing the shot by a few EV's if that's what it takes to keep the ISO down.

Which is to say, I have better results in post increasing exposure than trying to reduce high-ISO noise. YMMV.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 27-Apr-12 10:07 AM
8528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

One thing to remember is to not get locked into just a few compositions. Try some slow shutter speeds for blur images using 1/60 to 1/100 sec.

Focus will be the big issue. Be sure you are on AF-C. The automation in the focus system is quite good. You could try Dynamic 9 point if single point is not working.

1/250 sec may not be fast enough. I would try for a little faster if possible. 1/500 or 1/640 sounds better to me. I like f/3.5 to f/4 for the conditions. And ISO 1600 would be my normal limit but I would go higher if necessary.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Mon 30-Apr-12 02:48 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Taking my d7000 to the gymnasium"
In response to Reply # 6

Malmö, SE

So how did it work out for you at the Bout?
Would be very interesting to hear about it

/Timmy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18247 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.