Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18234
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bad lens, bad combination, or something else?" Previous topic | Next topic
MRM4 Registered since 25th Apr 2012Wed 25-Apr-12 07:51 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bad lens, bad combination, or something else?"

US

I bought a D7000 several weeks back. I had been using a D200. It's a considerable upgrade from my D200, so far I'm really like it.

I had a Nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4 lens that had some common soft focus issues. I finally sold it and bought a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens a few days ago. I am having problems with the lens staying in focus with the D7000. I'll have the picture in focus ready to snap a shot, then it will either start refocusing over and over or stayed focused and then jump out of focus until I hit the shutter button. None of my other lenses do this on the D7000. I put the Tamron on my D200 and didn't have this same issue.

Is this a bad lens, bad lens/camera combination, or something else?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 25-Apr-12 11:14 PM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bad lens, bad combination, or something else?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Try cleaning the lens contacts.

If that doesn’t help you should contact Tamron to see if this is a known issue. Maybe the lens needs to be re-chipped.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 26-Apr-12 04:58 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bad lens, bad combination, or something else?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

What focus modes are you using? A dynamic area mode will cause the focus point to jump around as it tracks what it thinks is the subject.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Thu 26-Apr-12 11:50 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bad lens, bad combination, or something else?"
In response to Reply # 2

Malmö, SE

I truly do not know anything about the specific lens in question, nor the D200, but I also bought a Tamron like half a year ago, a 70-300 DI VC. Sadly the lens had severe problems focusing on my D7000. It "hunted", went back and forth all the time as long as I held the shutter release halfways, even if I had it on tripod with a static subject. So I went back to the shop and had it exchanged for another one. What a world of difference! AF now works like it's supposed to do, and the VC (Vibration Control) is like locking a missile!

So, maybe your lens is suffering from the same kind of problem I had with mine. I suggest you just go back to the store if possible, and try have them to give you another one as it is a recent buy. And btw, ask to try the new lens while still in the shop.

/Timmy

MRM4 Registered since 25th Apr 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 12:22 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Bad lens, bad combination, or something else?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I ordered it online, but I may get one locally (if I can find one) and try it that way. Otherwise, I'll double-check my focus settings.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18234 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.