Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18140
View in linear mode

Subject: "One that got away..." Previous topic | Next topic
Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 03:45 AM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"One that got away..."

Omaha, US

I could shoot myself for this!

I was taking pictures of my daughter and her prom date. We took a bunch of shots indoors, and then went out on the deck to get some more. I was using my SB-700 for fill, but I screwed up and didn't update the base exposure settings, resulting in a completely blown out background:

This really disappointed me, since I know how great that shot could have been. If I had set the camera to expose the background and sky correctly (we had such a lovely blue sky with some fluffy clouds!) the flash would have filled in the kids and it would have been flawless. Sadly, I didn't realize my mistake until I was going through the shots.

Lesson learned. Take your time and THINK! What screwed me up more than anything was that there were two parents (me and the boy's dad), as well as three of my other kids all taking pictures. Lots of chaos. Lots of impatience.

Here's what I was able to come up with after processing the image. If anyone with better post skills would like to take a shot at this, I'd be more than happy to send you the RAW file.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: One that got away...
km6xz Moderator
23rd Apr 2012
lautry Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
billD80 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
Omaha
23rd Apr 2012
tcerul
23rd Apr 2012
Omaha
23rd Apr 2012

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 23-Apr-12 05:32 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

One of the best features of the D7000 is its low ISO DR so exposing for the sky still allows the deep shadows to be brought up in post processing without losing much color or gaining much noise.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 23-Apr-12 02:35 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 0

Panama City Beach, US

If you have photoshop, you could layer in another sky and save this shot.

Larry

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 23-Apr-12 03:47 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

You've actually done quite well already, as there doesn't look like there was much sky detail in the first place.

What you have is the two main people captured in a very special moment. The details are there, and they'll be happy you got this one.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 23-Apr-12 05:11 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 3

Jamison, US

what software did you use ?

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 07:31 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

I use the raw converted built into Photoshop.

tcerul Basic MemberMon 23-Apr-12 05:11 PM
422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 23-Apr-12 05:14 PM by tcerul

Hardy, US

A very quick selection of the sky to replace. If you spend more time a better job could be done. I made a selection using the blue channel and a sky image I had. Should have applied a gaussian blur to the sky to match the dof of the background better.

Tom
From Beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 07:32 PM
#7. "RE: One that got away..."
In response to Reply # 4

Omaha, US

You know, that's encouraging enough I'm going to dig in and give it a try...results shortly...

Thanks!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #18140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.