Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1809
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY W..." Previous topic | Next topic
sdi71 Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sat 13-Nov-10 09:15 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
Sun 14-Nov-10 04:51 PM by sdi71

IT

Hello from Italy.

I got my D7000 yesterday. It replaces my D70.

The D7000 is very impressive, but I have a problem using the lifeview function, as autofocus is not working for me in lifeview.

Whenever I push down the "autofocus" button a bit the cam blurs the image, each time I push it down it blurs the image a bit more.

How is this supposed to work?

I have this problem when capturing photos and also in video mode.

Does autofocus work for you?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?
willif
13th Nov 2010
sdi71
14th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator
14th Nov 2010
sdi71
16th Nov 2010
willif
16th Nov 2010
willif
15th Nov 2010
RYnikon Silver Member
27th May 2011
jerry r Silver Member
27th May 2011
billD80 Silver Member
27th May 2011
elec164 Silver Member
13th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
13th Jun 2011
elec164 Silver Member
14th Jun 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
13th Jun 2011
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
14th Jun 2011
PAStime Silver Member
06th Jul 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
03rd Jul 2011
RYnikon Silver Member
02nd Sep 2011
Reply message My Sigmas don't work with the D7000 in Live View
dnavarria
17th Jul 2011
Reply message My Sigma 10-20 auto focuses in live view, but...
dnavarria
04th Jul 2011
Reply message RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILI...
DeanAZ Moderator
16th Jul 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
02nd Sep 2011
Pocobear
03rd Sep 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
04th Sep 2011
fuzznut
04th Sep 2011
Siriusthecat
06th Sep 2011
dbvisions Silver Member
06th Sep 2011

willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Sat 13-Nov-10 05:27 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Nov-10 05:38 PM by willif

DE

Hallo,

yes autofocus in live view works for me.

What do you mean with "autofocus" button?
Switch live view on, choose a focus mode, start with single AF, choose a AF-area mode, start with normal. Then choose the focus point and then press the shutter-release button halfway to focus and the red rectangle will turn green when it is focused (see also manual page 50 to 52).
This is not working on your camera? What lense are you using? I read that there are problems with third party lenses.

Willi

sdi71 Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sun 14-Nov-10 04:46 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 1

IT

Hi Willi,

you are right. This seems to be a problem only with my Sigma lenses.

I have a:
- 10-20mmD 1:4-5.6 DC HSM
- 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 HSM DC
lens.

Both lenses do not autofocus in liveview or when filming.

My old Nikon AF-S 18-70mm DX ED that came with the D70 works.

This is VERY ANNOYING and frustrating.

Do you think that there is any possibility that or Nikon or Sigma will fix this?

Where did you read about this issue elsewhere also?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 14-Nov-10 05:35 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Back at the end of 2005, after the D200 camera was released, people found that several Sigma HSM lenses would not autofocus when the camera's AF-ON button was pressed. Sigma issued a service advisory about the issue, and owners were able to send their lenses to Sigma for re-chipping. Nikon later included a fix in a D200 firmware update.

I would anticipate that, if this proves to be a similar problem, both companies will respond to it in the fullness of time.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

sdi71 Registered since 13th Nov 2010Tue 16-Nov-10 09:13 AM
#5. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 3

IT

I wrote to Sigma Germany. They didn't know about this issue and ask me to send my lenses to them to get them analyzed.

Would you do that? If they have no clue what to do yet they will simple resend me them then. And I'll have to pay all the shipping and will be without lenses for weeks.

willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Tue 16-Nov-10 04:43 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 5

DE

Hallo,

in a big german forum http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=777584
just today a discussion has started about the sigma and tamron lenses.
There I found this link http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157625051623765/

It looks like this problem is showing up more and more.
Sigma is asking all the people to send the lenses in. But so far there are no new service infos on the sigma internet site.

Willi

willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Mon 15-Nov-10 09:14 AM
#4. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 2

DE

Hallo,

>
>Where did you read about this issue elsewhere also?

I read it here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=36835102

It seems to be dependend of the serial number.

Willi

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Fri 27-May-11 04:23 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 4

Pittsford, US

FYI, my D7000 auto-focuses fine in Live View with my Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM OS lens, serial #1088002, bought in November 2008. It seems to work correctly in general, including its OS.

If sdi71's is non-OS, perhaps it's older, and newer Sigma's are more compatible natively?

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 27-May-11 04:49 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 27-May-11 04:50 PM by jerry r

Banning, US

Just for the record a couple of us have Tamron 70-300 VR lens that will not auto focus on the D7000 in live view.

When I get home later, I will check out my only Sigma lens, the non VR 150 macro.

Jerry R

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 27-May-11 05:06 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Sigma USA specifically told me that some of their lenses would not AF on the D700 in LiveView mode... requiring a firmware update in the lens.

Before doing anything I'd install the new firmware that Nikon has released for the D7000. Perhaps they have fixed the issue.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 13-Jun-11 03:47 PM
1897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>Before doing anything I'd install the new firmware that Nikon
>has released for the D7000. Perhaps they have fixed the
>issue.

Sigma is referring to the firmware on the chip in their lenses. Third party manufactures need to reverse engineer the algorithms for focusing for different manufacturer bodies. As such a new body can become incompatible with their firmware.

As such I cannot see how upgrading the Camera firmware would have an impact because Nikon is not concerned with Sigma lens compatibility, only Nikkor lenses.

If such an issue arises, the lens needs to be returned to Sigma for an upgrade (unless there is a way a user can access and upgrade the lens firmware themselves).

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 13-Jun-11 04:37 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

>As such I cannot see how upgrading the Camera firmware would
>have an impact because Nikon is not concerned with Sigma lens
>compatibility, only Nikkor lenses.

There is a precedent...

I think it was the D300 that, when released, would not work using the AF-ON button with certain Sigma lenses. Sigma offered a upgrade for the affected lenses - as they usually do - but Nikon also included a fix in the next camera firmware update

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 14-Jun-11 04:58 AM
1897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>There is a precedent...
>

!!! Well I stand corrected then.

So while it may be a rare occurrence and a long shot that it would happen, its not out of the realm of possibilities that Nikon might address this.

Pete

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Mon 13-Jun-11 03:30 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 13-Jun-11 03:32 PM by RYnikon

Pittsford, US

I have to correct myself. On closer observation, my 18-200mm lens doesn't focus properly in Live View. It will shift focus, but in a small increment stepping toward infinity with each 1/2 press of the shutter release (I don't use "Focus On" or "AF lock").
It does otherwise work properly, in viewfinder mode.
I had installed the D7000 1.02 firmware update between my two posts.
I'm contacting Sigma to see about an upgrade. This does move me more toward paying more for Nikon when I am next comparing lenses.

Robb

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Tue 14-Jun-11 01:51 AM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

My experience has been that Sigma has been very good about upgrading their lenses to maintain compatibility. I've sent back both an 800mm and a 50-500mm (a number of years ago) for upgrades that Sigma did willingly without charge. It cost me only the out-going shipping costs. I don't know if there is any cost associated with the upgrades for live view function (the fix varies from lens to lens), but concern about future compatibility wouldn't deter me from purchasing another Sigma lens.

Visit my gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 06-Jul-11 11:00 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 13

Kingston, CA

>My experience has been that Sigma has been very good about
>upgrading their lenses to maintain compatibility.

This is very generous of Sigma. To upgrade their product for interoperability with some future model of camera body they had not seen at lens design time is pretty cool. The one-way shipping costs to the consumer are quite reasonable I'd say. This is good to know as I have a Sigma 8-16mm wide angle zoom. Cheers, Peter

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Sun 03-Jul-11 03:02 AM
#15. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 10

Pittsford, US

Update: I've emailed Sigma in the USA twice so far, 6/13 & 6/20 referencing this thread, and a Desiree Gaige has said her service manager is "checking with Japan on the live view functions".
If there is an answer, I'll let you all know.

Robb

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Fri 02-Sep-11 04:36 AM
#20. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview?"
In response to Reply # 15

Pittsford, US

First they asked me to send in both my lens and camera body, suspecting a malfunction in either. Once they understood that many D7000 owners experience this problem, they offered to look at the lens alone. I doubt I'll bother. The 18-200mm is my walk-around lens, and since LiveView is most useful on a tripod, I might never need it with this lens (not that I couldn't MF in that case anyway).

FWIW, I tried most of my other non-Nikon AF lenses. These included 3 1990s Tamron zooms (f2.7-3.5 20-40mm, and f2.8 35-105mm and 28-105mm lenses) and an old Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens. These all focus using the body's motor -- and do so just fine in LiveView. I'm left wondering if this problem may especially have to do with the Sigma HSM in-lens motor, which the 18-200mm has. The lens's software would have to read the camera's instructions properly, which might be a different variety with contrast detection. This would be irrelevant if the camera is actually controlling the focus directly with its own motor.

Robb

dnavarria Basic MemberSun 17-Jul-11 11:36 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "My Sigmas don't work with the D7000 in Live View"
In response to Reply # 1

Wellsville, US

I already sent my Tamron 17-50 in for warranty for the same problem. Now I have to Send my Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 120-400. Both do not focus in Live View.

The funny part is that my old Sigma 400mm f/5.6 macro works fine in Live View.

dnavarria Basic MemberMon 04-Jul-11 08:18 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "My Sigma 10-20 auto focuses in live view, but..."
In response to Reply # 0

Wellsville, US

my Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 does not. I will have to contact Tamron.

All of my Nikon lenses work in live view. I suspect this is a third party lens incompatibility and Nikon might not be too concerned as long as their lenses work.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 16-Jul-11 03:30 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I just picked up my Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 from the repair shop and it works great now. I'm fortunate enough to work about 5 miles from the Sigma repair center so I just dropped it off at lunch time. The firmware update was all that was needed. It took less than a week and was covered under warranty.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 02-Sep-11 03:25 PM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

Does anyone here know if the Sigma 17-50 suffers from this problem? I'm considering buying one. TIA.

Rich

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Sat 03-Sep-11 03:56 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

Mechanicsville, US

>Does anyone here know if the Sigma 17-50 suffers from this
>problem? I'm considering buying one. TIA.
>
>Rich

I have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX HSM, purchased this year (2011) and it will focus fine in LiveView mode. I have never used Video mode. I have a great Sony HD video camera and don't use video mode on the D7000.

David

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 04-Sep-11 07:54 PM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 22

Savannah, US

Thanks David. Happy with the lens?

Rich

fuzznut Registered since 14th Aug 2011Sun 04-Sep-11 09:29 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 23
Sun 04-Sep-11 09:30 PM by fuzznut

US

>I have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX HSM, purchased this year (2011) and it will focus fine in LiveView mode. I have never used Video mode. I have a great Sony HD video camera and don't use video mode on the D7000.

Have a Sigma 28-70 2.8 IF that also has no problem with focusing in live view and video mode. But the problem of using auto focus during video is that, when refocusing, it always goes *through* focus and then backs up into proper focus. This would make for an annoying video to watch. And, while the HSM is quiet, it can still be heard in the audio.
I'm wondering if all lenses go through focus in LV due to the contrast detection method of focusing.

-----

A digital picture is worth 1111101000 words

Siriusthecat Registered since 05th Jun 2007Tue 06-Sep-11 06:47 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 24

Reading, GB

My Sigma 70mm EX DG macro lens would not focus in live view with the D7000. Sigma UK have offered to rechip/modify it (their words) at a charge of £5 so long as I produce proof that I purchased the lens new, otherwise the charge would have been £37.99. This seems very reasonable to me. The lens is about 4 years old.

Tom Howell (Berkshire UK)

dbvisions Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2011Tue 06-Sep-11 03:36 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Autofocus in Lifeview? - SIGMA LENSES INCOMPATIBILITY WITH D7000"
In response to Reply # 25

Ringgold, US

Two weeks ago I had to send my Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM to the Sigma service center to have it updated to work with my D7000 in liveview mode. This was a "new" lens but it would just hunt when it attempted to autofocus. It also had a bit of front focus problem in normal mode when the aperture was wide open. The only cost was my shipping to the center (which is the most I should have had to pay to have a new lens work properly). It was back in three days and seems to be working correctly. There was a note that it was "cleaned and recalibrated". So far I am very pleased with it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1809 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.