Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17944
View in linear mode

Subject: "What do you do with your photographs?" Previous topic | Next topic
stevenfstein Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2007Sat 14-Apr-12 12:06 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What do you do with your photographs?"

US

I'm getting back into photography but was wondering what you do with all of the images you shoot. Years ago I submitted slides to some of the international competitions when I was with a camera club. I have some 16x20s hung on the wall but mostly I now have tons of 4x6 'snapshots' printed by Snapfish in photo albums. So - what do you do with all the keeper images?

Best.... Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What do you do with your photographs?
pjr Gold Member
14th Apr 2012
DerekTV85
14th Apr 2012
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
14th Apr 2012
billross
18th Apr 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
14th Apr 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
14th Apr 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
15th Apr 2012
Omaha
15th Apr 2012
mjhach Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
PAStime Silver Member
20th Apr 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
20th Apr 2012
PAStime Silver Member
21st Apr 2012
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2012
stevenfstein Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
billD80 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
mjhach Silver Member
24th Apr 2012

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Sat 14-Apr-12 12:58 AM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

Manotick, CA

Good question! My best photos go on my photo site at 500px.com. I also put some of them on Facebook and my blog, and a few here on Nikonians. Some are printed and framed and hung in my home, work or my wife's office. I'd like to try stock photography in the future if I get time, as well as entering more contests.

Cheers!

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Sat 14-Apr-12 01:12 AM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Stare at em for a long time, then decide there not good enough and file them away in my massively unorganized picture file. Print off a few here and there to see if they really strike me.

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 14-Apr-12 02:04 AM
2028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 2

Norcross, US

I put a lot of high school sports on a web page. I print the ones I like best and rotate them through my office at work.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

billross Registered since 26th Dec 2011Wed 18-Apr-12 09:52 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 2

Liverpool, CA

>Stare at em for a long time, then decide there not good
>enough and file them away in my massively unorganized picture
>file. Print off a few here and there to see if they really
>strike me.

Boy, I thought I was the only one!

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 14-Apr-12 12:35 PM
1453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Plug 'em for sale.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 14-Apr-12 12:38 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 14-Apr-12 12:38 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Now that I have a V1 and D800,
we only shoot Event stills with the D7000.
They are posted on my website for sale.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 15-Apr-12 11:39 AM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

I don't print many, but I do store them digitally. I then use some of the best for slideshows, DVD presentations, etc. We also have a digital photo frame and display them on that. You could also cycle them through a HDTV as a large digital frame (provided your HDTV has that capability).

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 15-Apr-12 02:20 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

I'm fortunate in that I have a large format HP photo printer at my office, so the ones I like the most get printed big (30"x24" or something) and framed.

Routine family snapshots get saved as small jpg's and uploaded onto Facebook. Nice way to share them with everyone.

Occasionally I'll post one on G+ for one of the daily photo projects (ie, "#fisheyefriday" or "#windowwednesday").

I shoot raw. I have a perpetually evolving system for cataloging all the raw files. Everything gets stored there. I try to be pretty ruthless about deleting the duplicates and duds to keep down the clutter.

I'm rapidly burning through my 1TB storage space. I'm going to need to expand that before the end of the year, I'd say.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 18-Apr-12 06:53 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 7

Simcoe, CA

By default, I use PSE9 for cataloguing the NEF's and JPG's and then store the NEF on a second separate 1TB hardrive. I find it hard to be ruthless deleting the NEF's though. Especially when I've bracketed exposures, you never know, I might put one through HDR.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 19-Apr-12 01:25 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>was wondering what you
>do with all of the images you shoot.

1. Enjoy them frequently on my 27" Dell professional monitor
2. Share them with friends and family and others on SmugMug
3. Continually remind myself I should print and frame some of them

Peter

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Thu 19-Apr-12 11:50 AM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

- Submit to contests
- Contribute to charity auctions. Bird pictures always fetch a decent price. Of course I am making a contribution there also since the framing isn't free even though I do it myself.
- Sell them occasionally on SmugMug.
- Post some to development and real estate websites that I develop as a sideline/hobby job - pays for a lens or two.
- Friends and family enjoy on SmugMug, Facebook. Family has many on their walls.
- Decorate my office
- Mostly enjoy them myself and keep reworking them.

It is a hobby. We really don't have to do anything with them other than enjoy taking them and pushing ourselves to improve.

Visit my gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 19-Apr-12 12:46 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 11

Kingston, CA

>- Contribute to charity auctions.

That's a neat idea!

Somewhat similar: I was in an office building recently of a 100-perons company and noticed that a photographer had volunteered his/her photographs to decorate their office hallways and meeting rooms. That too I thought was smart if one is looking for experience and exposure.

Peter

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Thu 19-Apr-12 01:56 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Peter,

And the tax basis cost of personal property contributed to a charity auction is deductible, so you can at least recover a portion of the framing cost (not the fair market value of the item though).

Chris

Visit my gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 20-Apr-12 01:01 PM
#14. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 13

Kingston, CA

>Peter,
>And the tax basis cost of personal property contributed to a
>charity auction is deductible, so you can at least recover a
>portion of the framing cost (not the fair market value of the
>item though).
>Chris

Interesting. I wonder how you would document that (at least for Canada's tax folks). I suppose you'd have to ask the charity to prepare you a donation receipt and it would be helpful to provide them with a copy of the receipt for the framing.

Peter

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Fri 20-Apr-12 03:50 PM
#15. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Well for U.S. tax code it would involve keeping records of the personal expenses - cost of the frame, print, matting, and possibly personal time preparing it if you account for your time in a similar business. Then a receipt from the charity just as proof that you donated it. Typically you designate a fair market value for the item which the charity annotates. If the purchaser bids a price higher than the declared market value, the purchaser can deduct the difference between the market value and the price actually paid.

Not sure how similar Canada's tax code is.

Visit my gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 21-Apr-12 12:30 AM
#16. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 15

Kingston, CA

Thanks Chris for the info. I would guess it is no different in Canada. Peter

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 22-Apr-12 05:25 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, the first thing I do is have some printed, on good paper. If you don't do that, then you don't have a photograph. You only have an image on a screen, or pits on a disc...

Print what you really like.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

stevenfstein Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2007Mon 23-Apr-12 05:08 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I appreciate all the comments and have gotten some great ideas. In my darkroom days I did a lot of printing but now just use base glossy kodak/epson/canon paper. What would you suggest? Never occured to me to use something else.

Best.... Steve

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 23-Apr-12 05:34 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>I appreciate all the comments and have gotten some great
>ideas. In my darkroom days I did a lot of printing but now
>just use base glossy kodak/epson/canon paper. What would you
>suggest? Never occured to me to use something else.

If you're printing yourself (via an Epson or the like) use the OEM archival paper and inks. It's false economy to use lesser brands, if you really want a special image to last.

Another option (I always use) is to have my best images printed on photopaper by Adorama (others do this too). I wouldn't use pharmacy labs as they don't have the same QC.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Tue 24-Apr-12 12:11 AM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: What do you do with your photographs?"
In response to Reply # 18

Simcoe, CA

Just for my own use, I use Costco brand Photopaper (a lot of the Costco branding (Kirkland) is of a decent quality, sometimes better than name brands wrt, say, dogfood for another example, but I digress) or the Staples 13" X 19" for my bigger enlargements. The paper thickness may be a touch on the thin size, but for testing the IQ of enlargements, without breaking the bank, they print really well on a Canon Pro 9000 in a Glossy Plus setting.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17944 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.