Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17906
View in linear mode

Subject: "Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Thu 12-Apr-12 08:11 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"

Roswell, US

Hi Folks,

I'm looking into getting a D7000 w/ MB-D11 grip (no third party grips, thanks). In reading the reviews of the MB-D11 on Amazon and B&H, I see sevaral that reference dissatisfaction with this pairing for a couple of issues:

The first and most frequent thing I've found is reference to what seems like about 1mm worth of play between the grip and the body...some folks seem to have resolved this by way of DIY solutions involving small o-rings placed around the metal stabilizing pin on the grip. Thoughts? Experiences?

The second and certainly less frequently reported issue is one person's reference to not being able to mirror the behavior of the AE-L/AF-L button on the camera to that on the grip. After reviewing the user's manual for the D7000, however, I think this might have been a result of one user not reading his manual thoroughly (as there seems to clearly be a custom menu setting that specifically forces the AE-L/AF-L button on the grip to always mimic the function of the same button on the body. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?
Omaha
12th Apr 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
gbowen Gold Member
13th Apr 2012
PhotoemWriter Silver Member
13th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
13th Apr 2012
agitater Gold Member
13th Apr 2012
Fabien65
13th Apr 2012
Fabien65
19th Apr 2012
paul_7e Silver Member
13th Apr 2012
Omaha
13th Apr 2012
gbowen Gold Member
13th Apr 2012
Omaha
14th Apr 2012
Reply message RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MB-D11 & D7000?
ericbowles Moderator
13th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
13th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
13th Apr 2012
gbowen Gold Member
13th Apr 2012
kentak Silver Member
13th Apr 2012
NenBikonian
14th Apr 2012
agitater Gold Member
14th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
14th Apr 2012

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 12-Apr-12 08:16 PM
523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

There is a tiny amount of play (less than 1mm, I'd say) on mine. Its ignorable, for me at least. I suppose I could try the little o ring trick, but its not worth a trip to the hardware store on its own. Maybe I'll wait until I need furnace filters.

No experience with the AE-L/AF-L stuff.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Thu 12-Apr-12 11:50 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

Hi Ben, There is no play at all between my D7000 and MB-D11 grip. The AE-L/AF-L button behaves identically to the one on the body. No issues at all with my combo.

Enjoy.

Charles

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 13-Apr-12 12:52 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Canton, US

>Hi Ben, There is no play at all between my D7000 and MB-D11
>grip. The AE-L/AF-L button behaves identically to the one on
>the body. No issues at all with my combo.
>
>Enjoy.

I'll add my name here. If there is any play at all, it is miniscule. AE-L/AF-L works just like the man said. I carry my rig around on a Black Rapid strap with no issues.

George

PhotoemWriter Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2010Fri 13-Apr-12 01:37 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

West Lafayette, US

Ben,
I have the MB-D11 grip on my D7K and love it. Sometimes I think I feel a little play, but it is so slight I actually barely notice it. What I like about the grip is the added heft it gives the camera and how much easier it makes taking vertical photos. It's a great grip.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 02:08 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

falkirk, GB

I only feel the play on mine when it is on a tripod. Even then It is very small.

Colin.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 13-Apr-12 02:53 AM
3955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

No play in my D7000/MB-D11 combo either. I think some owners just need stronger fingers. As the members above have noted, AE/AF-L works properly on the grip.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 10:11 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 13-Apr-12 10:14 AM by Fabien65

FR

Hi all,

i really like the grip because i find it very handy, but i had a tiny play between the grip and the gear with connections issues..so, i sent the Mb-d11 to Nikon last week and I’m waiting for the repair ( under warranty)
Fabien.

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Thu 19-Apr-12 05:41 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

FR

Hi all,

my MB-D11 has just come from Nikon repair and all is O.K. now: they have changed the connector (plug?) and i don't have any play at all any more...and no more connection issues!

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberFri 13-Apr-12 12:54 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the same combo (D7K & MB-D11 grip) and have not experienced any problems. There's no play at all with the grip and the AE-L/AF-L button works the same as on the camera.
Paul

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 04:58 PM
523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

I was just down at a hydraulics wholesale place picking up some parts for my plant, when it occurred to me to ask for a small O-ring. I ended up with a 1/32" inside diameter ring, slipped it over the post on the MB-D11, and the previously infinitesimal play I had was gone completely.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 13-Apr-12 05:47 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 9

Canton, US

>I was just down at a hydraulics wholesale place picking up
>some parts for my plant, when it occurred to me to ask for a
>small O-ring. I ended up with a 1/32" inside diameter
>ring, slipped it over the post on the MB-D11, and the
>previously infinitesimal play I had was gone completely.

Which post did you put the O ring on? I'm assuming the screw on post.

George

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 14-Apr-12 01:03 AM
#16. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 10

Omaha, US

No, it was the narrow (skinniest) one.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 13-Apr-12 07:18 PM
8467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MB-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I have the MB-D11 and a D7000. As with the others, I have a very small amount of play when the grip is attached. It is possible to adjust the thumb screw and eliminate virtually all the play. I would prefer a different type of mechanism that truly locks the grip into place.

The back button focus works just fine. It may require a menu setting for activation that is separate from the camera's back button focus.

Probably the one drawback - which is common on all grips - is the viewfinder is not quite in the same place in a portrait orientation as in a horizontal orientation.

I use the grip with an attached L-Bracket (from RRS). I find it very useful to be able to remove the grip and attached bracket without any tools when I want to travel light.

By using the grip, batteries seem to last forever. I have only gotten to the second battery once - after a conscious effort choosing not to recharge the battery for several days.

I like using the grip. Without a grip, the D7000 was uncomfortably small compared to a D300 (and I have average sized hands). The grip turns the D7000 into something better balanced and easier to hold.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 08:30 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MB-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

falkirk, GB

>I have the MB-D11 and a D7000. As with the others, I have a
>very small amount of play when the grip is attached. It is
>possible to adjust the thumb screw and eliminate virtually all
>the play. I would prefer a different type of mechanism that
>truly locks the grip into place.
>
>The back button focus works just fine. It may require a menu
>setting for activation that is separate from the camera's back
>button focus.
>
>Probably the one drawback - which is common on all grips - is
>the viewfinder is not quite in the same place in a portrait
>orientation as in a horizontal orientation.
>
>I use the grip with an attached L-Bracket (from RRS). I find
>it very useful to be able to remove the grip and attached
>bracket without any tools when I want to travel light.
>

>By using the grip, batteries seem to last forever. I have
>only gotten to the second battery once - after a conscious
>effort choosing not to recharge the battery for several days.
>
>I like using the grip. Without a grip, the D7000 was
>uncomfortably small compared to a D300 (and I have average
>sized hands). The grip turns the D7000 into something better
>balanced and easier to hold.
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera

Apparently if it is loose , it is because your fingers are not strong enough.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 13-Apr-12 09:22 PM
8467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MB-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

<Apparently if it is loose , it is because your fingers are not strong enough.>

If MY hands can't tighten it there is a design problem or a malfunction. I've got a strong enough grip to tighten it fully and if I can't 95% of the camera owners would have a problem.

Normally I would not run down a battery completely (I charge the battery after every use), but I wanted to test the ability of the camera to switch to the second battery in the camera body from the one in the grip. When the first battery runs low, you get a warning as though it is the only battery. But if you keep shooting, the camera automatically moves to the second battery. For the record, I had 1600 images and the second battery showed little use.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 13-Apr-12 08:38 PM
#13. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MB-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Canton, US

I would have thought that there would be a percentage of battery charge left before switching to the in camera cell. Nikon recommends not draining the EN-EL15. Ah well, maybe in a perfect world such engineering touches would be the norm.

Now you've got me curious, Eric. I'll have to try that.

I occasionally use a Quickflip 350 bracket made by Stroboframe and the grip just isn't well suited for use with that. Adds height to the camera, thereby decreasing the flash to lens distance. Also renders the vertical shutter release unusable due to how the top part of the bracket flips the flash for portrait mode shooting. So I remove the grip when using the frame. But, that's the only time I remove he grip for shooting.

George

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 13-Apr-12 09:20 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 13-Apr-12 09:22 PM by kentak

US

My grip attaches with no noticeable play. However, I do generally reach around in order to tighten the wheel with my thumb and index finger at the same time. Makes for a more snug fit.

Also, it's important to push the rubber contact cover into its storage station firmly until it's completely flush with the grip bottom. I suspect failure to do so could conceivably be a cause of some of these "free play" issues. Just a thought.

Kent

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Sat 14-Apr-12 12:38 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 14

Roswell, US

Everyone,

Many thanks for the responses. I am not a paying member, so i try to limit my questions to as few as possible...attempting to "pay my way" by answering significantly more questions than i ask. With that in mind, please indulge me one more on this topic and i'll quickly return to "contributing mode": For those of you who might have also owned or currently own the D300 and MBD10, did you experience any play with that combo? I have found no reviews indicating that this happens on that combo.

Thank You,
Ben

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 14-Apr-12 03:57 PM
3955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 17

Toronto, CA

Same experience for me as with my D7000/MB-D11 combo. Solid lockup with no play. Just as it should be. Nikon actually sorts out this sort of thing before releasing the products. Fully tightening the wheel will ensure a tight fit. That said, there absolutely have to be a few out there which aren't perfect, so advice to try out the fit in-store may be well taken I think, but that advice applies with almost every accessory too.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 14-Apr-12 09:08 PM
#19. "RE: Legitimate Issues w/ MD-D11 & D7000?"
In response to Reply # 18

falkirk, GB

>Same experience for me as with my D7000/MB-D11 combo. Solid
>lockup with no play. Just as it should be. Nikon actually
>sorts out this sort of thing before releasing the products.
>Fully tightening the wheel will ensure a tight fit. That said,
>there absolutely have to be a few out there which aren't
>perfect, so advice to try out the fit in-store may be well
>taken I think, but that advice applies with almost every
>accessory too.
>
That is very true. some will allways be better(or worse) than others.
And remember you have superfingers.
Cant find the smillie face things.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17906 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.