Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17881
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?" Previous topic | Next topic
hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 11-Apr-12 09:22 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"

Lincoln, US

Hi Folks,

I've had my D7000 now for a bit over a year. In that time I've had numerous issues with dust on my sensor. I always point the camera downward when changing lenses to try to avoid getting dust.

As of today, I've now had to have the sensor cleaned at my local camera shop about 20 times.

Is this an issue with my camera or is the D7000 a dust collector?

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?
billross
11th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
11th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
11th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
12th Apr 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
13th Apr 2012
kstrongs
17th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
burchan Silver Member
24th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
25th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
25th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
25th Apr 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
25th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
27th Apr 2012
elec164 Silver Member
27th Apr 2012
hamjam Silver Member
27th Apr 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
25th Apr 2012
burchan Silver Member
01st May 2012

billross Registered since 26th Dec 2011Wed 11-Apr-12 10:40 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

Liverpool, CA

How do you have your sensor cleaning setting set? I have mine set to go thru the cycle on both start-up and shut-down and I've had no issues despite the camera being nearly a year old.

Cheers,

Bill

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 11-Apr-12 10:59 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 1

Lincoln, US

I have mine set the same both start-up and shut-down.

Jim

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 11-Apr-12 11:39 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>As of today, I've now had to have the sensor cleaned at my
>local camera shop about 20 times.
>
>Is this an issue with my camera or is the D7000 a dust
>collector?
>
>

To me 20 times in a year seems a bit excessive, are you sure it's just dust.

My D7000 had and was repaired for the lubrication spray issue, and even with that, I only felt compelled to wet clean the sensor two times in a one year period. And in the 3 years I used my D80 I never did a wet cleaning.

And it's now been about 2 months since I've gotten it back from repair and the sensor is still relatively debris free. Before the repair I would have had at least 10 significant sized spots reappear on the right side of the image after a wet cleaning.

Do you have any example images of the spots for us to analyze?

Pete

Pete

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Thu 12-Apr-12 12:24 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 3

Lincoln, US

Hi Pete,

I believe the amount of times I've had to have it cleaned is excessive also. Many of those cleanings have been wet ones by the camera store staff. And in my case I keep getting the same spots in the same location in the right upper portion of my images.

I do have one recent image I can post here for review.

Jim

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 12-Apr-12 12:39 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hmmm!

You may wish to check out my older thread If Not Lubricant....then what. It may not be the definitive source of information, but it was a robust discussion with numerous examples.

Pete

Pete

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Thu 12-Apr-12 01:36 AM
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 5

Lincoln, US

Pete,

Thanks for the link. I read most of all the responses until I noticed the posting about the lubricant/mirror/motor issue. It appears to me that my spots like the ones you had are not small dust particles, but perhaps lubricant.

When you sent in yours for repair, did they replace the mirror motor and mirror mechanism?

Was it repaired under warranty for you? If not can you give me an idea of what the cost might be if mine is the same issue?

Is the repair you had done warranted by Nikon?

Jim

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Thu 12-Apr-12 01:48 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 7

Burke, US

Jim, I had the same issues as Pete and mine was repaired under warranty. They did replace the shutter charging motor which was spraying lubricant spots onto the sensor. Mine was repaired in January ( about 1000 photos ago) and I've not needed to clean it at all since then. They also repaired/adjusted my autofocus which was either bad as a separate issue, or bad as a result of the lubricant spray collecting on the CAM autofocus unit.

We've seen reports of this flaw being repaired even on out-of-warranty units.

I think it would be best to get it to Nikon as soon as possible.

Charles

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 12-Apr-12 02:06 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

The repair was listed as being a complementary service and it was reported as "replace the mirror operation".

I wrote a nice letter pleading my case for covering it under warranty, but I don't know if that is why they gave me the complementary service or not.

Pete

Pete

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Thu 12-Apr-12 02:27 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 12-Apr-12 02:33 AM by hamjam

Lincoln, US

Pete and Charles,

Thanks to you both for the very helpful information.

In either of your repairs, how far past warranty were you? In my case I'm about 4 months past warranty.

I'll be sending mine in right away, also with a note pleading my case for in warranty.

Again thanks much!!

Jim

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 12-Apr-12 02:45 AM
#11. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

It was about a week shy of 3 months past warranty.

Pete

Pete

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 12-Apr-12 11:24 AM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"

Atlanta, US

I hope the camera store has not been charging you for cleaning the sensor. 20 times is excessive and while you do have something on the sensor, that is completely unreasonable. Unless you have used the camera in an extreme environment, 1-2 cleanings would be normal. I have two D7000 cameras used for 15-20,000 images and they have never been in for sensor cleaning.

The store should have recognized that there is a problem if you are having your camera cleaned every 2-3 weeks. Stores do have the ability to help with service, so if Nikon denies a repair under warranty, the store may be able to help with a report on how many times they have cleaned the sensor.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Thu 12-Apr-12 12:02 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"

Burke, US

Jim, mine was still in warranty, so I didn't have to plead my case. I was concerned they'd not admit to the "oil on sensor", but they did, immediately and took all the necessary actions to make sure it was fixed completely.

Eric has a good point below...that the store might be able to help you plead the case since they've cleaned it so many times.

Charles

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 12-Apr-12 01:10 PM
#14. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>Eric has a good point below...that the store might be able to
>help

Eric and Charles make a good point about having the local shop as a secondary validation source, but I’m not sure it is necessary but acknowledge it’s good to have.

I did my own cleanings, and provided no proof of those cleanings other than mentioning it in my letter. I didn’t even provide any sample images, although I mentioned in my letter that I had before and after images of those times that I could provide if needed.

It was either in my thread, or one of the other threads about this issue where it was suggested that if there was a spray issue, then there would be an accumulation all over the area that could easily be detected, not just on the sensor. I think Charles even made the case that it could potentially be spraying on the Phase Detection sensor which would eventually impact its performance. Something I never thought of when I thought it was an excess lubrication issue that would abate by itself over time.

So even though I plead my case that the issue occurred well within the warranty period, the tech was most likely able to see that spray accumulation and determine that it was indeed one of the units affected by the defective seal on the charge motor. And it also appears that Nikon is willing to do right by its customers in resolving this with cameras just out of warranty.

So send it in with an open mind and hope for the best possible outcome.

Pete

Pete

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Thu 12-Apr-12 02:56 PM
#15. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 14

Lincoln, US

Many thanks to all. I'll be sending it in, in the next few days.

Jim

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 12-Apr-12 01:07 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"

Joanna, US

I guess I'm lucky as I've had my camera over a year and have no dust issues. Hope this post doesn't jinx me

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 12-Apr-12 09:36 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

I just checked. I have > 27,000 shutter actuations. I have had to wet clean sensor twice. My dust was never near as prominant as yours and would imagine it is lubricant. Also consider cleaning sensor yourself. I use the cooperhill method and have never had a problem. You can search it on google.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 13-Apr-12 06:38 PM
1773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 16

Land O Lakes, US

Just checked out the CooperHill method. Thanks!

Tom

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 07:47 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Thomas, CA

Any chance you have dust on the camera side of the lens?
Does the spot stay in the same place when you change lens?

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 18-Apr-12 05:56 PM
#19. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 18

Lincoln, US

Thanks for the post.

No each time I've had the sensor wet cleaned, the camera shop has also checked out the lens as well. No dust on any of them.

I've now sent the camera in to Nikon Repair for evaluation and repair. Will post on my results after hearing from Nikon.

Jim

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 24-Apr-12 11:14 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 19

Sydney, AU

I purchased my camera in December 2010 and have never cleaned sensor but have noticed several spots. I took my camera in for service at Nikon because of suspected back focus (????? I was reading to many blogs so got paranoid) and asked them to clean the sensor. I was told that spots are oil and early production units had this problem. Cleaning will not fix it so mirror assembly replacement is the only option. It will be done for free. Love my Nikon service centre. Camera is 4 months out of varanty. Found the spots when taking photo of white paper with 35mm lens at f/20. Did not effect picture taking but could be the cause of some of my focus difficulty.

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 25-Apr-12 12:15 AM
#21. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 20

Lincoln, US

After Nikon received my camera, I got a service order number, which I input online to check the status.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that repairs will be complimentary. The status report indicates a catagory of C or "major repair, major parts replaced. Not sure what exactly is being done. My status as of today is "in shop".

When I called Nikon Customer Service to check with them, I was told a major repair usually takes from 7-10 days, at which time the camera should be shipped back to me.

I'll update here again when I get notification of what was done.

Jim

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 25-Apr-12 12:51 AM
#22. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 21

US

>I'll update here again when I get notification of what was
>done.

Glad to hear things worked out for you. Please keep us updated.

And as Charles told me in my thread, it's tough waiting, but it's worth the wait.

Pete

Pete

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 25-Apr-12 02:21 AM
#23. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 22

Lincoln, US

A BIG Thanks goes to you and Charlie for you encouraging me to send it in.

More to come.

Jim

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Wed 25-Apr-12 09:15 PM
#25. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 23

Burke, US

Jim, Glad to have helped the little that I did. I was just backing up Pete's experience with my own. You will be thrilled with the improvement in your camera. Have fun.

Charles

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Fri 27-Apr-12 11:07 PM
#26. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 25

Lincoln, US

Charles and Pete,

Just got my D7000 back from repair. As you might have suspected, they

1. Replaced Mirror Box
2. Checked Auto Focus Operation
3. Checked Exposure
4. Checked Image Test
5. Cleaned Image Sensor
6. General Check and Clean.

All under warranty.

I should be good to go now.

Again many thanks for all of your help!! I really appreciated it.

Jim

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 27-Apr-12 11:17 PM
#27. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Great to hear. I will be interested in seeing what you think of how your camera works now. With mine I have a sense that even though I thought my focus worked properly before the repair that it's even better now.

Pete

Pete

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Fri 27-Apr-12 11:48 PM
#28. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 27

Lincoln, US

Interesting you should mention that. I just took some test shots, and the images seem to me to be much more crisp and in focus than before.

Almost like Wow, is that clear, crisp and in focus!

Jim

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Wed 25-Apr-12 09:12 PM
#24. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 20

Burke, US

Branko, I'm happy to hear that Nikon is taking care of your camera. The oil spots probably did affect my autofocus (oil on the separator lens of the CAM4800). You will be delighted with the repairs, I'm sure.

Charles

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 01-May-12 11:20 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nikon D7000 Dust Issues?"
In response to Reply # 24

Sydney, AU

Got my camera back. Miror box did not need to be replaced after all. Sensor was cleaned and focus adjusted. All looks good, I feel confident in the camera and I am ready for Alaska in May.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17881 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.