Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17737
View in linear mode

Subject: "Memory cards for new D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Umbanikon Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2004Fri 06-Apr-12 04:25 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Memory cards for new D7000"

Spring Hill, US

I have on order a new D7000...it will be my first digital camera in that I have been shooting F4s and F5 for a number of years.

Question?

I have a neurological disease that necessitates that I utilize a tripod 100% of the time (this has been true for 4 years). My question is this.

95% of my photography is low light landscapes or close up macro work, and again camera is on tripod 100% of time.

What type and size of "memory card" do I need. So many cards are talked about in terms of so many frames per second, fast recovery time and size. I generally bracket sunset/rise and other challenging light scenes +/- 0.5 stop either side of metered reading for Velvia 100. I was thinking about a couple of 8GB cards, but do I need "Ultra", "extreme" or "pro".

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

I can't wait to get the camera. It's controls seem very much like my F5's.

Len Foster

"Seize the Light"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Memory cards for new D7000
NDGraham Silver Member
06th Apr 2012
TheDraftsman
07th Apr 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
07th Apr 2012
hellyeah08
07th Apr 2012
billD80 Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
billross
08th Apr 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
08th Apr 2012
Umbanikon Silver Member
08th Apr 2012

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 05:28 PM
605 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hi Len,
I have just purchased two SanDisk Extreme Pro SD HC1 16Gig 95MB/sec memory cards for $104 total for both of them online. They work great in my D7000. It's amazing how the prices are coming down on these so quickly these days! Shop online for memory cards because the stores want too much for them. Some Nikonian buddies like the 32Gig or larger cards but I thought I got a great price for these to use with the video especially. I compared them to the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD HC1 16Gig 45MB/sec memory cards I bought 3 months ago and I think the 95MB/sec cards seem to work a little better especially in low light indoor conditions maybe because they are almost twice as fast!
Hope this is useful to you.
Happy snapping.

Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Sat 07-Apr-12 11:56 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

middlesex, US

Cards to use are the biggest debate and everyone has there preferences for whatever reasons. Buying a SanDisk or Lexar is the more important decision as in, staying away from the cheap cards.

Nikon really doesn't recommend anything above class 6 cards because the camera can't write any faster than that anyway. Blow your money on a class 10 but those cards are made for high end video cameras. The only real benefit to class 10 is off loading your pix to your computer but even then, most people are not using a computer or card reader capable to reap the benefit of a fast card.

Also you can save some money by staying in good practice of transferring your pix to your computer at the end of the day. I say buy 4 8gb Ultra or Extream's instead of a 32gb. I know people have their preferences but it really is beyond me why some walk around with a nearly full 32gb card in their camera.....that is a lot of pix even all RAW!!!

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 07-Apr-12 01:21 PM
1436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Len,

I've gone way overboard and purchased 2 Transcend 32GB SDHC cards and have them both in my D7000. I've taken as many as 400 exposures in a day and I try to download all images each evening. However, I have experienced situations where I can't download for a couple or three days and, as a result, I elected to go to the extreme high end and purchased the 32GB cards.

You need Type 6 cards. the size (# of GB) is really personal preference and a calculation of how many MB per exposure and how many days or how many exposures you're willing to allow to build up on your cards.

Have fun with your D7000.

Tom

hellyeah08 Registered since 18th Mar 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 07:42 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

If you dont shoot video or burst drive with you D7000 than a very fast "writing" card is not necessary.
If you shoot raw most of the time than getting these big files onto your computer is a big issue (18-22MP per RAW picture for D7000 depending on the tonal range of the picture).
Since the SD cards are very cheap now, I recommand buying a couple(D7000 takes two at a time) and you will be very happy for shooting without overflooding your cards. Sandisc Class 10 Extreme 16GB is my choice, its less than $30 on B&H if you can manage to get it shipped to you.
Its fast both read and write, some cards are faster at reading but slower at writing, which is probably cheaper than the extreme, will still work for you.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 07-Apr-12 10:19 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Congratulations on persevering and doing what you've got to do to get a great image!

I often shoot images for HDR on a tripod, and you really don't need speedy cards for that.

I still would lean toward Sandisk/Lexar, essentially because of reliability. The Sandisk Ultras can be had for not too much, but buy from a reputable dealer...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

billross Registered since 26th Dec 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 10:30 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Liverpool, CA

Regardless of how you use the camera, I vote for Class 10 cards just for the reason of how fast you can unload the cards. I use 16G cards and with 450 exposures on a full card, it still takes a fair bit of time to unload them onto my reasonably fast Mac. I started out with 8G Class 6 cards and the move to the larger Class 10s was very noticeable despite the higher number of exposures.

Cheers,

Bill

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 08-Apr-12 12:45 PM
685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Hi Len,
It's as important to select a good brand of memory as it is the speed. Some users have reported issues with off-brand cards. You'll find a list of Nikon tested SDHC cards on page 319 of the Nikon D7000 manual. Personally, I use Sandisk since they've proved very stable for me.

Purchase a minimum Class 6 card, but preferably a Class 10 card if you want to shoot some video as well. Both will easily do a 3-shot bracket.

As previously suggested, buy 2 so that you can have options such as back-up, overflow or RAW on one and JPEG on the other.

Regarding size - Going from film (36-exposures) to digital is a new world. My 8-GB cards shows a conservative 291 exposures per card at 12-bit RAW, uncompressed. I limit myself to smaller cards which forces me to think about my shots more and take fewer photos. Less work in post processing.

That's my experience and enjoy your new D7000.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Umbanikon Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2004Sun 08-Apr-12 04:13 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Memory cards for new D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Spring Hill, US

Thanks everyone for your quick responses...

Seems something like Scandisc Class 10 Extreme 8GB or 16MB is the way to go. Ordered two of these from B&H just now. I chose 8GB which will give me tons of pics as compared to 36 exposure roll of Velvia.

Can't wait to stick a couple of my Nikon primes on the front of the 700. I will post some shots soon.

Len Foster

"Seize the Light"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17737 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.