Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17715
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question" Previous topic | Next topic
kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 06:59 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"

falkirk, GB

I decided to buy a D 7000 as retirement is looming and I thought I would give photography a more serious try. As you have all guessed I am experiencing issues. I have read the other posts and am trying to do as they advise. I have a question which is aimed at the people who have had these issues. Have any of you managed to get a quality of picture that you are happy with using settings and technique.

Colin.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
05th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
05th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
05th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
08th Apr 2012
km6xz Moderator
07th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
billD80 Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
billD80 Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
km6xz Moderator
08th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
09th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
15th Apr 2012
gjsgarren
15th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
15th Apr 2012
kippford Silver Member
01st Jun 2012
km6xz Moderator
02nd Jun 2012
kippford Silver Member
02nd Jun 2012
NDGraham Silver Member
04th Jun 2012
kippford Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberThu 05-Apr-12 08:58 PM
893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Colin,
Can you be more specific about the issues you're experiencing?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 09:49 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 1

falkirk, GB

>Colin,
>Can you be more specific about the issues you're
>experiencing?
>
>Jerry LoSardo
>Frederick, Maryland

Jerry I will post a picture whenIi figure it out, but I suspect people who have had this issue will know what I mean.

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 09:57 PM
#3. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 2

falkirk, GB

Whatever settings I use, my D40x with the same settings and same lens allways produces better results

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 05:07 PM
#4. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 07-Apr-12 06:09 PM by kippford

falkirk, GB

Took some shots today but forgot I had set it to jpeg only so no raws, sorry. Just discovered I can only post 300kb files. How d0 I post The full file?

Colin.

I figured out how to put them in my gallery so they can be viewed there.

I may have been a bit premature there. They seemed to upload but nothing is in my gallery. Further work required then.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 08-Apr-12 02:12 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Hi Colin,

The picture of the flower is pretty good as the fly on the bloom is easily seen. The dof might be the cause of the others to be blurred. The canal shot is good and clear; you can see smoke rising in the background and you have a lot of contrast. Give yourself some time and soon you'll not be concerned with the results. The D7000 is not going to produce lower quality than the D40x so long as the operator makes the right choices.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 07-Apr-12 07:57 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 07-Apr-12 07:59 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

As others have mentioned, without images and data left intact there is little we can do to offer advice.
To narrow the possible range of potential issues, what characteristics are not good> Exposure, blurry images? Color? Any of these could effect how the image appears to be focused.
The D7000 is the best performing DX camera made but as with most higher performance devices, it is more complex by far than your D40x. Some settings might have been adjusted to values that negatively impact your images.
As a base line for images, in good light, setting the camera to the Green AUTO mode try shooting a stationary, static object to see if that is better than the settings you have been using. Next try setting the camera in Live View and taking the same scene. Is it better?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 09:08 PM
#6. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 07-Apr-12 09:19 PM by kippford

falkirk, GB

Thanks Stan. I should have more shots by the time ( if) I figure out how to upload them.

Colin.

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 09:54 PM
#7. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 07-Apr-12 10:04 PM by kippford

falkirk, GB

The files were all too large apparently. Had a couple of smaller ones which are now in gallery. Thanks in advance for any help.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 07-Apr-12 10:25 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>The files were all too large apparently. Had a couple of
>smaller ones which are now in gallery. Thanks in advance for
>any help.
>

The Tunnel one is incredibly well realized, given the dynamic range involved. There's detail in the deep shadows and the highlights way past what the D40x would render.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 10:43 PM
#9. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 8

falkirk, GB

Thanks for replying bill. I was looking for scenes that would challenge it. Sorry but im not sure what you mean by realised.

Does it seem sharp?

Colin.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 07-Apr-12 11:48 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>Thanks for replying bill. I was looking for scenes that would
>challenge it. Sorry but im not sure what you mean by
>realised.
>
>Does it seem sharp?

Actualized to the level you hoped to achieve when you squeezed the shutter.

Yes, it seems sharp.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 07-Apr-12 11:51 PM
#11. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 10

falkirk, GB

Thanks Bill. It may be me who has a problem then. It just seems dull and flat to me.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 08-Apr-12 12:19 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 08-Apr-12 12:21 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Considering the range of tones, the tunnel image could not be captured with very many cameras, certainly not the D40. There is a lot of shadow detail that would be just black with no data with a lesser camera. The far sky it pretty flat however and it might have recoverable detail if processing the RAW files.
Both scenes are shot at ISO 1600, where the dynamic range is lower than at lower ISO. Both images would have had less noise and more detail if shot at a low ISO, from 100-320 for example.
f/11 is getting up to the range where diffraction is entering into the equation.
Sharp, detailed, low noise images are a compromise between all the parameters which are variable for best balance. Shooting low ISO would surely have given crisper images with less noise. A Shooting with a wider aperature would have caused the foreground to possibly be less in focus but also allowing lower ISO.
I added a little shadow gain and sharpening. If the RAW file was available a lot more could be done to improve it. Overall, I think it was a tough shot, done well and captured a lot of information.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Mon 09-Apr-12 08:59 PM
#14. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 12

falkirk, GB

Thanks guys.I feel better about it now. I hope to get out again soon.

Coiln.

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sun 15-Apr-12 10:41 PM
#15. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 14

falkirk, GB

I am still struggling a bit but have managed a few shots I feel are sharp. I have put one of a swan which is one of my sharpest yet into my gallery. I am still only looking for sharpness, not bothering too much about content.

Colin

gjsgarren Registered since 06th Mar 2011Sun 15-Apr-12 11:06 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

D7000 is a great camera but requires practiced skill if you are into heavy cropping. Images that would be good or even great on a camera with lesser resolution may appear slightly soft due to movement of the camera. Try taking the same shot handheld and than with a good tripod and look at results. Handhled use is easily possible but many photographers will have to hone their skills!!

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sun 15-Apr-12 11:18 PM
#17. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 16

falkirk, GB

Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing any real difference between handheld and tripod. Just that more tripod ones work. They dont look any better than a good hand held though.

Colin.

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Fri 01-Jun-12 12:32 PM
#18. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 17

falkirk, GB

I contacted Nikon and they asked for some images. After seeing them they agreed the focus is off and asked me to send the camera for repair. They say 4 to 6 weeks turnround.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 02-Jun-12 04:05 AM
#19. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 18

St Petersburg, RU

The images you posted are not out of focus. The dull and flat impression you are getting is compared to a D40 which renders images with boosted contrast and color saturation, with can be achieved, if you prefer that style which is well known as the default JPG settings for point and shoot cameras. The D7000 is capable of reproducing that style with a few basic adjustments, such as setting the camera to Picture Control "Vivid" which simulates that increased sharpening, contrast settings and saturation of colors.

Your photos appear to be taken around the Falkirk area, on either the Forth and Clyde canal or Union canal. I was there 2 weeks ago and despite the light showers my images turned out similar with the grey dull skies. After riding the canal boat through the Wheel, I started chatting with a couple who had a canal boat there in the basin and offered to take me up country on the Union Canal a ways if I could find my way back. Great fun, spent all day on the boat and sharing their picnic lunch. They let me off not far from bus service into Glasgow from which I made my way back to Lake Ard where I was staying. The next day when over to Glencoe. Hopefully I can take my GF next time, she would love the beautiful countryside and very friendly people in the rural areas. She lives in the big city of St Petersburg under protest and would prefer a quiet isolated cottage in the woods any day. I showed her my photos of small towns and farm areas in Central Scotland and each day she asks when she can go. Beautiful country, and my ancestral home(Graham and Forbes clans)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Sat 02-Jun-12 04:18 AM
#20. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 02-Jun-12 04:22 AM by kippford

falkirk, GB

When I sent some images to nikon they agreed the focus was off and asked me to send the camera in for repair. The images I posted were far from the worst.
I am glad you liked the area. I have lived within a few miles of both canals for over 50 years and have never been on them. The canal basin is on the union canal at linlithgow.
Thanks for your help, I am sure I will be needing more in the future.

Colin.

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 04-Jun-12 05:01 AM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hello Colin,
See my reply to this issue posted here:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=18818&mesg_id=18818&page=#19007
I do hope you will come to love the D7000 as much as I do. My D300 is not seeing daylight much right now!
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 10:07 PM
#22. "RE: Another soft/ poor focus D7000 question"
In response to Reply # 21

falkirk, GB

I now have my camera back and it is very much improved.Iam now able to accept that the fault is mine in most shots as I can now get some decent shots. I look forward very much to learning how to use my camera
Thanks to Nikon for the repair.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17715 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.