Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17452
View in linear mode

Subject: "UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Tue 27-Mar-12 03:58 AM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"

Banning, US

Is there any advantage in using the UHS-1 cards over the SDHC cards in a D7000? I also shoot with a Nikon V1.

Thanks,

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?
billD80 Silver Member
27th Mar 2012
DayDreamer
28th Mar 2012
Lempa
29th Mar 2012
DayDreamer
29th Mar 2012
texspeel Gold Member
29th Mar 2012
jerry r Silver Member
29th Mar 2012

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 27-Mar-12 05:49 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Is there any advantage in using the UHS-1 cards over the SDHC
>cards in a D7000? I also shoot with a Nikon V1.
>

Perhaps speed... If you shoot a lot of 6FPS sequences, or video, or want the fastest upload to your PC, then the UHS-1 Cards should be best, I would think.

Or they could be over-kill, especially if you shoot one image at a time, and don't shoot much video.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

DayDreamer Registered since 30th Jan 2012Wed 28-Mar-12 07:09 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 28-Mar-12 07:46 AM by DayDreamer

IN

Agree with what billd80 said. When I migrated from SanDisk class 4(5-10MB/s) to Sandisk Extreme Pro (30MB/s), I could see considerable difference in the time taken to clear the buffer. It was almost like there was no limit on D7000 buffer (ofcourse the speed drops from 6fps but you are not stalled), so I assume with UHS-I (95MB/s) you are going to gain a lot more.

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Thu 29-Mar-12 05:22 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 29-Mar-12 05:23 AM by Lempa

Malmö, SE

>so I assume with UHS-I (95MB/s) you are going to gain a lot
>more.

Sorry to say, but that is probably not the case. In the thread below you will find some interesting, and hopefully useful, links to what some people have found to be an in camera limiting factor, hence no use for memory card speeds over 30Mb/s or 45Mb/s except from the fact that you could have a faster transfer speed to computer with card reader.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=17117&mesg_id=17117&page=2

/Timmy

DayDreamer Registered since 30th Jan 2012Thu 29-Mar-12 11:10 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

IN

Thanks Timmy for correcting... I was not aware that D7000 hardware is limited at certain speed as I remember reading in some forums that 95MB/s is correctly supported by D7000 and you should see increased buffer clearance speed compared to 30MB/s cards with it but these seems to be more practical answers.

texspeel Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Thu 29-Mar-12 04:14 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Fairfax Station, US

I just attended a Nikon School about 3 weeks ago. During one of the presentations, they showed a chart that showed the camera's write speed for several camera series. The D7000 was listed as having a write speed of 30 Mb/sec.
Good shooting!
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Thu 29-Mar-12 04:49 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: UHS-1 or SDHC card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Banning, US

Thanks for all of your replies. Does anyone know if the Nikon V1 has a faster write speed? We just got one for when we don't want to carry our D300 or D7000.

Jerry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17452 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.