Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17311
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?" Previous topic | Next topic
mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Thu 22-Mar-12 12:53 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?"

Windsor, CA

I am wondering why the D7000 is not on the list of qualified Cameras to apply to become a NPS member.
The D300 is on there and I understand 100% that the D7000 is considered more a consumer camera where the D300 is considered a professional camera .... but lets be realistic here, the D7000 is over 2 years newer than the D300 and out preforms the D300 in almost every way !

If you were to make a list of the best Nikon cameras on the market today the D7000 will be above the D300 for sure.

Just wondering why Nikon would not have the D7000 in the list as well, they can probably remove it again after the D400 is released because I am sure the D400 will be better than a D7100

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?
JosephK Silver Member
23rd Mar 2012
hyphotographer
23rd Mar 2012
wmcy Gold Member
23rd Mar 2012
jadiniz
24th Mar 2012
JustiNikon
25th Mar 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 23-Mar-12 03:08 AM
4165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you understand how it works, you just want to compare two different generations of cameras. The D200/300/400 line is Nikon's cutoff point.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Fri 23-Mar-12 09:16 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Mar-12 09:20 PM by hyphotographer

GB

The design of the camera, where you won't find a mode dial on D300, there are only three buttons, QUAL, ISO, and QUAL on the left side.

Also, the mode button and layout of other buttons are favourable to experienced photographers, who know exactly what to do in choosing shutter speed, aperture, ISO, WB etc.

I find it awkward to change ISO on D7000, because I have to press the ISO button by moving the camera away from my face. If it were on top of the camera body as the professional series, it is easier, I guess.

D7000 is classed as a consumer camera by design, however, I am sure it outperforms D300!

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Fri 23-Mar-12 09:40 PM
793 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 23-Mar-12 09:41 PM by wmcy

Charlotte, US

>I find it awkward to change ISO on D7000, because I have to
>press the ISO button by moving the camera away from my face.
>If it were on top of the camera body as the professional
>series, it is easier, I guess.

ISO can be set with the back dial while in Aperture mode. See "Easy ISO" in the menu.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 24-Mar-12 08:04 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Estoril, PT

On the D7000 you can have two wheels (front and back dials) controlling any two sides of the exposure triangle, and having the third side picked automatically by the camera All this selected solely by the mode wheel

Can't get any better than this!

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

JustiNikon Registered since 01st Feb 2012Sun 25-Mar-12 04:31 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why is the D7000 not on the list for NPS ?"
In response to Reply # 4

BR

I don't get too caught up in whether a camera is labeled as 'professional' or not. If the d7000 is outperforming a d300, and serves the pro's function, what's the problem? they're both crop sensors. I adjust ISO without having to look at my camera (at times) and have no problem. Being a pro-photographer (to me) has nothing to do with being able to shoot shots without looking at the back of my camera. Taking rapid fire shots (for my type of work) means I'm not thinking about composition.

But i understand that everyone's work requires different things.

JustiNikon
Just a Nikon.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17311 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.