Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17278
View in linear mode

Subject: "Image size and Raw" Previous topic | Next topic
AKsnowhare Registered since 16th Mar 2012Wed 21-Mar-12 12:21 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Image size and Raw"

US

I just picked up a D7000 this week.

I would like to run both cards with the raw image going to slot 1 and the Jpeg going to slot 2. My question is if I select a lower image size will that make my raw image smaller as well?

I am thinking that I don't need the highest quality jpeg but I would like to have my Raw images as large or best as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2012Wed 21-Mar-12 01:35 AM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Image size and Raw"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 22-Mar-12 04:15 AM by icslowmo

Phoenix, US

Yes that is passable, RAW file size doesn't change res... size will very a little depending on whats in the picture, I average 17-20mb per image for RAW files, I shoot 14bit lossless... And you could have small basic jpeg's go to slot 2...

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 21-Mar-12 02:18 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Image size and Raw"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No matter which card you select, or which size/compression jpeg you choose, the raw file will >always< be 'full-size'.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 21-Mar-12 11:21 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Image size and Raw"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 21-Mar-12 11:24 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>No matter which card you select, or which size/compression
>jpeg you choose, the raw file will >always< be
>'full-size'.

Yep, correct.

In addition, there are two settings for raw which affect image quality: 12 bit versus 14 and compressed versus loss-less compressed NEF. I think in most situations one would be hard-pressed to see a difference among these settings. I use 14-bit, compressed. If you want the highest achievable quality use 14 bit and loss-less compressed.

Peter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17278 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.