Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17277
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 microphone" Previous topic | Next topic
chrismalinao Registered since 21st Mar 2012Wed 21-Mar-12 12:20 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 microphone"

PH

I own the D7000 and it has a built-in microphone, to go with its video capability. Question: can we use the microphone to simply record data that would accompany the still photos? Say, I shoot a person and, instead of writing down his name, I simply say his name to the microphone. Can we do that?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 21-Mar-12 03:51 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 microphone"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Voice Memo is not on the long list of great features of the D7000. There are lots of workarounds however. I use a small pen sized recorder I picked up for $19 that records sound pretty well, plus is writes. There are lots of little cheap recorders available that have note taking audio quality. You can speak the frame or series description, or frame numbers or even have subject recite their own names, email or phone numbers to make sure you got it. Where I need it most is too loud to use voice memo so I resort to simply giving my calling card to the subject and asking them to write to me if they want their photos sent directly. Otherwise they know I post them to a site where they can download them.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 21-Mar-12 10:42 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 microphone"
In response to Reply # 1

Jamison, US

I use the iPhone memo function since its always attached to me

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 21-Mar-12 11:29 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 microphone"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

That is an alternative but requires taking your camera away from your eye, or using two hands and putting the camera down. A small recorder can be mounted on the camera strap and is always within mouth range. My pen style sits in the front pocket of my BlackRapid RS-5 and can be activated by the back of my hand while sill holding the camera to my eye. I guess it depends how often one needs memos or how convenient it needs to be. Some recorders are the size of a SD card and plug directly into the USB slot for charging and downloading. Most I have seem are less than $25 and last a long time on a charge, a week or more. Since they are not wide bandwidth, data rates are low so their limited memory can hold an hour or more of recording. Fine for voice but not hi-fi enough for music entertainment, essentially like a telephone voice quality.
If I did not have this one already, I would get one of the USB 1" recorders and put it on the body of the camera with thin Velcro so it could be accesses by a fingertip while composing a shot. Being 1/4" thick, it would hardly be noticed from stock.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

chrismalinao Registered since 21st Mar 2012Wed 21-Mar-12 11:33 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 microphone"
In response to Reply # 3

PH

thanks, stan. quite a few alternatives there, and i really like that last one, the one-inch USB recorder, if i can find it here in manila. in the meantime, i'd go with the first suggestion above. i have an android phone where i can record information.

i was just hoping it could have been implemented with the D7000 as the microphone is already there. if implemented in-camera, the voice data could be embedded with the picture itself. but that may be for later versions of cameras, although i saw a singaporean friend did exactly that with his new D4. thanks, guys!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17277 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.